Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chainring question

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Chainring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 03:00 AM
fetz

Bikes: All-City Nature Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chainring question

So I picked up a Sugino 46tx130mm 1/2"x1/8" 5 bolt chainring today. I put it on, and it fit on my crank nicely, but the chain wasn't fitting into the teeth properly. I currently have a FSA vero crankset 42t. I know I have clearance up to 49. I am not sure if I got a wrong size, or if I need a different chain. I know in order to use it I will have to get a new chain because the one I have now is not long enough to fit around it. I have a 16t Dicta BMX freewheel on the back. The chain fits fine over the teeth on that and my current chainring. When I put the new one on the chain kinda just sat on top of it and wouldn't sit nicely like its supposed to.
So my questions are:

Did I get a wrong size chainring? If not what kind of chain do I need to get? Will said chain work properly on my freewheel?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! If I can make this work with min. costs is my goal.
Old 04-09-15, 03:10 AM
tuxxdk

Bikes: MTB & Road

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got a 1/8" ring, but your current setup requires a 3/32" ring.

It'll not fit. You need a matching 3/32" ring. Or change the Dicta and chain to 1/8" instead and use the new ring with those.
Old 04-09-15, 03:42 AM
fetz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks! Ill need a new chain anyways cause the one I have isnt long enough. This is the first time I've tried changing the front. Ive dropped the teeth in back already, but I need more of a challenge. I tried looking at my specs and what I was buying. I'm still learning.

I'm putting in my order now. The chain I liked is 112 links. Do you think that will be enough? A new freewheel and chain is half the price of a new chainring.

Last edited by fetz; 04-09-15 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 04:43 AM
tuxxdk

Bikes: MTB & Road

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed, chainrings are rather pricy compared to the chain and cog in the back.

112 links will/should suffice, yes I run 52/20 with a 112 link chain (needed to shorten it, so 112 is more than enough).

I have Dicta as well, but just got a Sturmey Archer freewheel for another project. There's a world in difference between those two and the price isn't that bad. You should really consider that. I'm always worried that my Dicta will break under load.
Old 04-11-15, 02:00 AM
fetz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id try that one but we dont carry that brand at my work. the 112 was long but now I can use the extra to make a star ornament ^_^ people love those for christmas. The new gear feels great. I just posted on the mechanics forum. but its creaking and popping. My chain is a little tight so maybe loosening it up will help. it would pop every once in a while before. This makes me nervous though. over the winter I had to have a friend tighten my bottom bracket. It pooped and came loose and my pedals were all wonky. It was way better after he messed with it. Hes a mechanic so he knows what hes doing. I feel bad bugging him to much though cause he dont let me pay him. Ive even offered to bake cookies and or a gift card or beer. but hes just happy to keep me rolling.
Old 04-14-15, 09:55 PM
Surly2698

Bikes: Surly steam roller, bear knukle,big block, fbm sword, litespeed swobo sanches

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New chain syndrome
Ride your bike your chain will be quiet soon
Old 04-15-15, 05:27 AM
sickz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1/8" chain on 3/32" rings/cogs usually quiets down your drivetrain.