Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 12:13 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Last year's promotion was quite successful. The ads aren't being repeated this year but, as is the case every year, cars will not be allowed in the city center, and pedestrians and cyclists will take over the streets. If only it could stay that way all year round!
Some of the other European cities we have visited have car-less city centres, with access only to certain vehicles that service the area.

In one case, we watched as a woman driver tried to follow a service van into an area that excluded cars, and the front of her car was wiped out by the retractable bollard that suddenly went up after the van passed through. IIRC, it was in Metz, right near the big cathedral.

Then there was Bordeaux. And of course, Zermatt, which is almost entirely car free as a town.

It will probaby come in Seville, too. The issue always seems to be a fear by traders that they will lose business if "easy" access by vehicle to parking outside their shop disappears. It's happened here even when simple bike lanes have been planned.
Old 12-20-16, 01:46 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Some of the other European cities we have visited have car-less city centres, with access only to certain vehicles that service the area.

In one case, we watched as a woman driver tried to follow a service van into an area that excluded cars, and the front of her car was wiped out by the retractable bollard that suddenly went up after the van passed through. IIRC, it was in Metz, right near the big cathedral.

Then there was Bordeaux. And of course, Zermatt, which is almost entirely car free as a town.

It will probaby come in Seville, too. The issue always seems to be a fear by traders that they will lose business if "easy" access by vehicle to parking outside their shop disappears. It's happened here even when simple bike lanes have been planned.
Like many US cities, my town had a carfree center throughout the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The merchants blamed it for their poor business and demanded that it be removed. I don't believe business has actually picked up much as a result, although it's hard to tell.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-20-16, 02:18 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan

Well, a car-free center--extremely car-light, really--almost became a reality here. Rather than bollards, the plan was to control access with a number of closed-circuit television cameras. These had actually been purchased and were placed at points of entry to the old city, but then, just as the plan was about to go into effect, a new mayor was sworn in and the first thing he did, on his first day in office, was strike it down.

You're right, shopkeepers are against limiting car traffic, even though their dire predictions about losing business have been proven to be wrong again and again. To the contrary, whenever streets have been pedestrianized, their business has actually boomed, but they continue to oppose such bans.
Old 12-21-16, 12:18 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Happy Solstice, everyone! From here on out, more daylight -- yay!
Old 12-22-16, 03:11 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Happy Solstice, everyone! From here on out, more daylight -- yay!
Except for those in the Southern Hemisphere. Just sayin'.
Old 12-22-16, 04:21 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as where I live, I'm not that plugged into the society or the gov, and don't really care to be, but as for me, what I'd really like to do is set out on my bike one evening and just ride around checking out some of the lights and decorations. I think that would really be nice, while at the same time avoiding the higher traffic areas.
Old 12-23-16, 02:00 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
As far as where I live, I'm not that plugged into the society or the gov, and don't really care to be, but as for me, what I'd really like to do is set out on my bike one evening and just ride around checking out some of the lights and decorations. I think that would really be nice, while at the same time avoiding the higher traffic areas.
That was my tradition for years--a slow Midnight ride on Christmas Eve to admire the lights and decorations. Unfortunately, I work midnight shift now, so I can't do it most years.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-28-16, 03:52 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Yeah, I'm thinking of going the Amazon gift card route this year.
Got Amazon prime this year just for that very thing..'click'..'click'..'click' done! I then had time to browse some favorite bookstores for occasional cards and gifts but was much less stressful.. Screw the malls.
Old 12-28-16, 04:00 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heywood
Got Amazon prime this year just for that very thing..'click'..'click'..'click' done! I then had time to browse some favorite bookstores for occasional cards and gifts but was much less stressful.. Screw the malls.
Cards are the biggest ripoff ever. $5 for a piece of paper with a cute phrase? Draw a card yourself with paper and pencil and it will be more appreciated and cost next to nothing.
Old 12-28-16, 04:53 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Christmas Day -- we did a great 44.6 km bicycle ride exploring the area we were visiting and of course checking out the beach. Then we did a 2 km walk to help burn off Christmas dinner.
Old 12-28-16, 05:31 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walter S
Cards are the biggest ripoff ever. $5 for a piece of paper with a cute phrase? Draw a card yourself with paper and pencil and it will be more appreciated and cost next to nothing.
Dollar store for my cards.. i give very few but won't pay more than a $1 for one..
Old 01-01-17, 07:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I had a fairly car-light Christmas. My wife and I had to buy for 7 family members, and for one of them we drove to a suburban store to get one of his gifts and to a downtown store to get the other. However for that second trip I wanted to buy something for myself at a different store so we parked between the two stores and walked about 2 km to get to them both. I shopped for 5 other people either by walking from my office to a store, or stopping off on my bus or subway ride home to get what I needed, and my wife bought the last person's gift by car.

Two of the kids were out of town visiting their in-laws over Christmas so we didn't get together locally to exchange gifts until Dec 29. Six people came to the house and 3 of them came by car - the others by public transit. I was coming from the office and running late so I got someone to pick me up from the subway (probably the only time this year I have asked for that).

Today 7 of us got together at a restaurant for brunch, and 3 came by car, two on foot, and two by subway.

So all in all a fairly car-light holiday.

Last edited by cooker; 01-01-17 at 07:08 PM.