Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What smart trainer do you use? v.HELP

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 12:58 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Weather will start cooling down here in the next 6 or 8 weeks and I'll have to take things indoors for the most part.

I'm looking at smart trainers and it appears that Cycle Ops and Wahoo both make good ones. I'm looking at the KickR snap since it fits within my $600ish budget. I would like something that measures output and has other data features that I can use to improve my ride/technique etc.

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations in this regard.

Moderators, I wasn't sure where to post this, if it's in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.
Old 09-10-17, 01:15 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
We've gotta advise looking at Ray Maker's Annual Winter 2016-2017 Bike Trainer Recommendations. He'll likely have an updated version up in the next 4-6 weeks.

Follow that up by looking at individual reviews for trainers released since the annual massive review. See this page. At the right price the Tacx Flux and the Elite Direto might join Wahoo and CycleOps in your consideration set.

You can also click through from Ray's site to Clever Training and get a 10% discount on many, if not all products on sale there.
Old 09-10-17, 08:09 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
We've gotta advise looking at Ray Maker's Annual Winter 2016-2017 Bike Trainer Recommendations. He'll likely have an updated version up in the next 4-6 weeks.

Follow that up by looking at individual reviews for trainers released since the annual massive review. See this page. At the right price the Tacx Flux and the Elite Direto might join Wahoo and CycleOps in your consideration set.

You can also click through from Ray's site to Clever Training and get a 10% discount on many, if not all products on sale there.
Thank you sir.
Old 09-15-17, 08:05 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'm considering this one
https://www.performancebike.com/weba...iABEgIyMfD_BwE

I want the interactive feature to use with Zwift. Is anyone using an interactive trainer and if so, what's it like? Have you ever rode a course on the trainer that you had ridden in real life too?
Old 09-15-17, 08:49 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a tacx vortex smart. Bought at 300-something.

It was the best priced smart, controllable trainer, compatible with Bluetooth and ant+. Yes, zwift was a big part of the motivation.

After a season, I don't really care about the zwift thing anymore. Meh. I'm not into spending time paying attention to virtual riding and it's environment.

Rather, I want to use that time effective doing structured training. Zwift is still good for that because it has a really friendly interface. And smart controllable trainers are nice because ERG mode means I can just keep pedalling and hit the resistance as dictated by training program, rather than pay attention to gears and wheel speeds as on a dumb trainer.

So....knowing what I know now...if I had the chance to buy all over again today, I would get a direct drive trainer at 600+. There are a couple on the market now (compared to last season). Not having to faff with QR skewers...not worrying about slip, or calibration, or switching to dedicated tires or wheels, etc, would all be nice. And they're typically quieter.

Summary. Buy the cheapest trainer with ERG control, or buy a direct drive that fits in your budget