Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Chains are the best! Shimano

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Chains are the best! Shimano

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 01:15 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Apart from the Shimano TL-CN42, chain checkers include roller wear which doesn't impact life.

You're better off using a $1 ruler and measuring between pins which should be 11" apart. Replace at 1/16" (0.5%) unless shifting to your big ring has degraded unacceptably from increased flexibility due to side plate wear.

2000 miles is about 2X too often running a chain with harder pins and plates like Campagnolo.
I would agree on the ruler and measuring chain, its something I do. But the beauty of a chain checker is it makes things easy. Measuring chain with a ruler you have to be precise locating on pins and its very hard to do on bike.

Regarding rollers, as the roller, pin (some would even say plate bushing also) wear they contribute to the change in pitch.

Miles are a very general guideline, I have customers that use a low end SRAM 1031 chain and get 1600 - 1700 miles, because their chain is always contaminated and ridden in grime and the 1031 is a non hardened chain. Then there are people who use an XT / Ultegra level chain and clean their chain and often get greater than 3000 miles. So a lot of it has do do with how it is maintained.
Old 12-22-19, 02:22 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Change in pitch - actual elongation - comes entirely from the wear between the pins and the inner plates. I've used a Campy 10 chain for 6,000 miles and accurately measured a fraction of the allowable .5% elongation, but that didn't mean that the chain wasn't worn out. At that point the roller wear was huge and the side clearances were twice that of a new chain. The chain should have been trashed long before 6,000 miles was reached. Most chain checkers combine roller wear and actual elongation so you can't tell how much of the wear is from the roller and how much is elongation. To separate the two, requires a separate measurement of roller spacing, that can be done with calipers. There are no sound rules about an appropriate combination of roller wear and elongation.

To avoid new-chain skip, try alternating the use of 3-5 chains on a cassette and you'll never encounter new-chain skip. Each chain can then be used longer, but plan on trashing the cassette after all of the chains are worn out. At that point a new chain mated with the cassette will most likely skip on one or more of the most-worn sprockets.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-22-19, 02:34 PM
jbucky1

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Change in pitch - actual elongation - comes entirely from the wear between the pins and the inner plates. I've used a Campy 10 chain for 6,000 miles and accurately measured a fraction of the allowable .5% elongation, but that didn't mean that the chain wasn't worn out. At that point the roller wear was huge and the side clearances were twice that of a new chain. The chain should have been trashed long before 6,000 miles was reached. Most chain checkers combine roller wear and actual elongation so you can't tell how much of the wear is from the roller and how much is elongation. To separate the two, requires a separate measurement of roller spacing, that can be done with calipers. There are no sound rules about an appropriate combination of roller wear and elongation.

To avoid new-chain skip, try alternating the use of 3-5 chains on a cassette and you'll never encounter new-chain skip. Each chain can then be used longer, but plan on trashing the cassette after all of the chains are worn out. At that point a new chain mated with the cassette will most likely skip on one or more of the most-worn sprockets.
Great point. My incorrect definition of pitch previously. I agree with you. The key is a few factors like you point out, elongation. roller wear and resulting lateral stiffness or lack of. Thanks.
Old 12-22-19, 05:01 PM
m3tal070

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I'm sorry to say this, but it looks more like opinion than knowledge. I hesitated to post this this, but too often people push their opinions as facts. As a society, we really need to distinguish between fact an opinion. That's an opinion that may actually be a fact.
Many facts began as opinions.
Likes For m3tal070:
Old 12-22-19, 06:00 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Oh, now Shimano 11spd road chains ship with a quick link. Just check that it is new stock and not new old stock.
Old 12-22-19, 07:26 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Your Bucky thing has some nonsense in it!

First they say to replace your chain every 2 thousand miles, but then later they tell you to use a chain gauge. Here's the nonsense, why buy a chain gauge if you're replacing the chain every 2 miles? But more importantly if you use a chain gauge and the chain at the 2 thousand mile mark says the chain is still good why replace it?

Look, use a chain gauge but don't replace the chain every 2 thousand miles, replace it when the gauge says it's a done chain, that could be 5,000 miles or even more. I use a chain gauge but my chains last an average of 7 to 8 thousand miles! I also don't replace the cassette except after the third chain is done.

Chain life is determined by how well you keep your chain cleaned and lube, failure to do that, AND/OR, cross chaining ( https://wickwerks.com/support/crosschaining/ ), will shorten your chain life.

I don't know how good the new Shimano chains are, they never were bad especially the Ultegra chains, but I use Connex SB chains for my main road bike and Ultegra on my others, but I would like to try the SRAM XX1; I also use either Rock N Roll Gold or Rock N Roll Extreme lube. HOWEVER, I haven't noticed much of a change in chain wear from the various lubes I've used even though they're are websites that tested such stuff and will refute what I've said, the only lube I've used that was glaringly bad was drip wax crap, using that sort of lube reduced my chain life by half and that was probably due to the fact that the chains would start making noise about 45 to 65 miles into a ride after lubing the chain before the ride, and where there is noise there is wear.
Old 12-23-19, 10:16 AM
jbucky1

Originally Posted by greatscott
I also use either Rock N Roll Gold or Rock N Roll Extreme lube. .
Im totally into that stuff also, works great and low fuss. Also low wattage consumption!
Old 12-23-19, 10:21 AM
jbucky1

Originally Posted by greatscott
First they say to replace your chain every 2 thousand miles, but then later they tell you to use a chain gauge. Here's the nonsense, why buy a chain gauge if you're replacing the chain every 2 miles? But more importantly if you use a chain gauge and the chain at the 2 thousand mile mark says the chain is still good why replace it?
greatscott Not sure you read it correctly they say "a general rule of thumb they need to be replaced around every 2000 miles, this is akin to the oil in your car." - Which is probably a good rule of thumb for the 99%, probably not you because you are more detail oriented and been doing this a while.
Old 12-23-19, 06:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
2000 miles is about 2X too often running a chain with harder pins and plates like Campagnolo.
Perhaps true, unless you're doing a lot of off-road riding (gravel or MTB). On my gravel bike, which sees a lot of dirt and mud, I replace the chain much more frequently.

Riding on the road you don't need to clean chains beyond wiping off excess lubricant so it doesn't drip.

Conversely, you'll never achieve the same lubricant penetration as the factory hot grease bath. Cleaning chains with solvents often reduces life.

Wax is a horrible lubricant. It fails suddenly producing squeaks, not gradually where your chain goes through an increased mechanical noise phase.
Agreed on all counts. I've never removed a chain from a bike to clean and lube it, and my bikes run quietly -- and I get normal lifespans out of my chains and cassettes. And the cult-like love for waxing chains (among some people) is not supported by any real evidence.

Honestly, if I followed some of the advice in this thread, I would spend more time maintaining my bikes than riding them. I would rather spend less time futzing with my bikes, and more time riding them, even if it means buying a new $25 chain a bit more often.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-23-19 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-23-19, 06:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12759 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I tend to stay away from Shimano chains only because I like having a quick connect instead of a one-use pin. Otherwise, they all work equally well for me. I have SRAM and I have Shimano drivetrains and I've never noticed a difference between chains. You need a chain tool even with a quick-link, because you still have to break the chain to the correct length.
Shimano has had chains with quick links for a while now. Unfortunately there are still a handful of pin ones out there in shops.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-25-19, 04:09 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
+1 On riding over futzing. I ran my original Legnano chain for over 55 years, and just changed it, before this last Eroica, when I also serviced the BB and head set for the first time. It was a five speed chain, built like a moto chain, not sure of brand. I replaced it with a KMC 7/8 speed chain, since I'm running six speeds now. I have Shimano, KMC, and Sram chains and use them pretty interchangeably. For ease of fitting, I do prefer KMC or Sram because of the quick links. The Shimano breakaway pins are kind of a pain. The only chain failure I've had in 60 years of cycling was when I re-used a Shimano 10 speed chain and pin on a 6 speed Raleigh, in a hurry to make a vintage ride date. 4 miles out the pin worked out, jammed in the derailleur cage, and everything stopped. I pushed the pin back in using a roadside rock with a wrench for a back stop. When I got home, my new KMC came in the mail from Amazon. Maintenance is pretty low priority, but I usually use the wipedown on bike method with citrus degreaser and maybe an old toothbrush, followed by Finishline, 90% as a lube. I never used to ever ride dirt and gravel, but now that I do a little, (<100 miles a year on dirt), maintenance may become a bigger deal.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 12-25-19 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-25-19, 06:52 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
+1 On riding over futzing. I ran my original Legnano chain for over 55 years, and just changed it, before this last Eroica, when I also serviced the BB and head set for the first time. It was a five speed chain, built like a moto chain, not sure of brand. I replaced it with a KMC 7/8 speed chain, since I'm running six speeds now. I have Shimano, KMC, and Sram chains and use them pretty interchangeably. For ease of fitting, I do prefer KMC or Sram because of the quick links. The Shimano breakaway pins are kind of a pain. The only chain failure I've had in 60 years of cycling was when I re-used a Shimano 10 speed chain and pin on a 6 speed Raleigh, in a hurry to make a vintage ride date. 4 miles out the pin worked out, jammed in the derailleur cage, and everything stopped. I pushed the pin back in using a roadside rock with a wrench for a back stop. When I got home, my new KMC came in the mail from Amazon. Maintenance is pretty low priority, but I usually use the wipedown on bike method with citrus degreaser and maybe an old toothbrush, followed by Finishline, 90% as a lube. I never used to ever ride dirt and gravel, but now that I do a little, (<100 miles a year on dirt), maintenance may become a bigger deal.
Curious how often you do a cassette change.
Old 12-25-19, 07:46 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Curious how often you do a cassette change.
I change them whenever they begin to skip or I need a different gear setup. With 8 bikes, doing around 4000 miles a year, total individual bike miles are not that much. As I've gotten older, and began riding more challenging hills, I've changed many of them to bigger (lower) rear gears, so most of them are relatively recent, but I don't have any regular rotation or schedule for changing them. A lot of my vintage bikes, same deal, relatively recent upgrades from 5 to 6 speed, and lower rear gears too, so none of my gearsets are high mileage. The 55 year old Legnano, my old race bike from the '60s, just kept rolling along, so I saw no need to mess with it. When I went from 5 to 6 speed, and also a new wheelset I needed a thinner chain to better clear the outside frame dropout. Old school friction shift freewheels are less fussy, besides having more robust chains than the modern indexed 10 or 11 speed stuff, which I also ride too. I don't own a chain gage, but have had the chain checked at LBS if it starts acting up. TMI ? Sorry, but since you asked.
Old 12-26-19, 12:28 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jbucky1
greatscott Not sure you read it correctly they say "a general rule of thumb they need to be replaced around every 2000 miles, this is akin to the oil in your car." - Which is probably a good rule of thumb for the 99%, probably not you because you are more detail oriented and been doing this a while.
2000 miles is way too often for a car, too. My owner’s manual specs every 6500 miles. For a 1996 model.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: