Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Defective tire?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Defective tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 09:40 AM
pavement_nyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 6 Posts
Defective tire?

I just put new wheels, rim tape, tires and tubes (all brand new, cheap ones from Niagaracycle) on an old bike, and within 4 miles of riding my front tire exploded. There's a rip on the sidewall of the tire so I'm thinking it was a defective tire? I've installed PLENTY of tires before, never had a problem like this. I didn't overfill it, I put it at about 70 and it said 90 max. Should I not be buying the cheap Kenda tires?

Last edited by pavement_nyc; 08-22-12 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 09:52 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Yeah, looks like a defect. Cheap tires will have more defects but not frequently enough to be a concern - you might have noticed this before install if you'd done a good inspection so that might be worthwhile next time. Make your buying decisions accordingly.
Old 08-22-12, 09:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks like a steel rim -- 70psi might have been a little too much.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-22-12, 10:15 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cannot see a picture, but the scenario you describe makes me think there is either a brake pad touching the tire at some point in the wheel rotation, or you put too little pressure in the tire and you were pinching the tire between the rima nd the ground which cut the tire.

Although I have seen tires that were defective and the sidewall pulled away from the bead and caused a blowout. I have not seen such defects in cheap tires however - ironically, the only tires I have seen this with were prety pricey flat-resistant ones from a major manufacturer.
Old 08-22-12, 11:46 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
I cannot see a picture, but the scenario you describe makes me think there is either a brake pad touching the tire at some point in the wheel rotation, or you put too little pressure in the tire and you were pinching the tire between the rima nd the ground which cut the tire.

Although I have seen tires that were defective and the sidewall pulled away from the bead and caused a blowout. I have not seen such defects in cheap tires however - ironically, the only tires I have seen this with were prety pricey flat-resistant ones from a major manufacturer.
Looks more like somebody pulled a loose thread on a sweater.
Old 08-22-12, 12:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Oh wait -- what I think you're seeing is an extra layer of fabric bonded to the tire to protect the bead. It's normal for them to pull away at the edge.

Try a new tube, don't pinch it, and pump it up to 60-65 psi. Bet it'll work fine.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-22-12, 12:06 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
There's a hole in the sidewall of the tire. It's shot. It's defective.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-22-12, 01:07 PM
pavement_nyc

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Oh wait -- what I think you're seeing is an extra layer of fabric bonded to the tire to protect the bead. It's normal for them to pull away at the edge.

Try a new tube, don't pinch it, and pump it up to 60-65 psi. Bet it'll work fine.
No! Maybe it's hard to see in the pic but that's a hole! The tube will go right through!
Old 08-22-12, 01:09 PM
pavement_nyc

It was absolutely not either of those. If there was any pinching between rim and ground it was after the tire exploded as I was stopping/falling
Old 08-22-12, 01:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Gotcha, it was hard to see. Hope you didn't get hurt too bad!
RUSA #7498
Old 08-22-12, 05:28 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Kenda tires are generally good tires, but no brand will have good tire for $12! It does look like from the pics that something sliced it, it was probably the rim. Check the other side of the tire, or the other tire, for same sort of cut, is it a cut or a seam? If it's a seam then it could have been a defect in the gluing process. Nigara usually has really good customer service, if you find it's a seam then e-mail them with your complaint and offer to send both back for a refund or exchange them for what they sell, and the best they sell for a lower cost is the Continental Ultra Sport for about $22.

You can get nice 27" tires (I'm assuming their 27" because their steel wheels) from Panaracer Pasela wire bead for less the $25 and is a far superior tire to the Kenda you had which was actually made by Shin who has the same tire for the same $12 and also sold under the Avenir name. The Panaracer is a better tire then the Conti Ultra Sport I mentioned.
Old 08-23-12, 03:15 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Post a picture of your brake pads. That's definitely a wear mark from the pads rubbing on the tyres.
Old 08-23-12, 07:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0

+1, ( I see the picture) This type of damage is exactly what brake shoe overhang causes, so I'd check that first. Sidewall cutting cutting by rim because of low pressure is also a possibility but that usually takes more than 4 miles.

IMO the one thing it's least likely to be is a defective tire. Tires can have all kinds of defects, but a long grove just at the rim line isn't very likely. Not only that, you were sure to have noticed it if it were there when you mounted the tire. So look very thoroughly for a problem on your bike, so you don't have a repeater.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-23-12, 07:42 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Kenda tires are generally good tires, but no brand will have good tire for $12! ...
Perhaps, but no brand will be served well by selling hazardously defective products either.

As suggested, definitely check that nothing is rubbing on the tire and causing that.
Old 08-23-12, 07:46 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1, ( I see the picture) This type of damage is exactly what brake shoe overhang causes, so I'd check that first. Sidewall cutting cutting by rim because of low pressure is also a possibility but that usually takes more than 4 miles.

IMO the one thing it's least likely to be is a defective tire. Tires can have all kinds of defects, but a long grove just at the rim line isn't very likely. Not only that, you were sure to have noticed it if it were there when you mounted the tire. So look very thoroughly for a problem on your bike, so you don't have a repeater.
I checked the pic last night and the black colour of the line around tire, including the cut, looks exacly like the mark caused by a rubbing brake pad or riding a on a flat or severely under-inflated tire. I once got a slow leak while trail riding with a brand new tire and I rode as fast as I could for the 1 mile or so back to the trailhead and I had ruined the tire by then.

I have also seen similar damage on a customer's bike who got a flat from road debris or something, then walked the bike on the flat tire for a couple miles to get home and that damaged the sidewall.