Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road tires on gravel bike paths

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 10:14 AM
SpikedLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Around my neck of the woods: I can get quite a ways through the connected bike/walking paths and back roads. Most of them are the fine gravel though, one or two, tend to be the heavier gravel (so as not to wash away in the rain).

I've currently the OEM Schwalbe Lugano tires (25-622) on my Synapse and, while they're neither here nor there for me (being new to roadbikes): I can't help but think a jump to a 28-622 would benefit me on these gravel paths (and my larger size) so have been looking at new tires.

My question, however, is how much do you notice tread (or lack of it) when biking on gravel bike paths?

Would I suffer on the gravel by having a slick, or near slick, road tire?
Or is simply the tread on roadbikes (cyclocross excepted) inadequate to make any difference?
Old 07-06-15, 10:21 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fine gravel is fine, coarser gravel you could pinch flat. Sandy sections you can wash out and go down pretty easily.
Old 07-06-15, 10:32 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
It all depends on the condition of the "gravel". Many people believe that you need 2" MTB tires to ride on non-paved surfaces, not true. My wife and I rode ~10 miles yesterday on slick road tires (23mm and 25mm*) on limestone trails, no issues. I've used my 28mm T-serv tires for gravel century rides; I was mostly happy, but loose/deep gravel is not fun. The issue is not the tread, but the width of the tire. CX or MTB tread is most helpful for fast turns and hard braking.

For firm, well maintained limestone, you can ride full pressure without an issue. For loose gravel, lower pressure (low-end of the recommended pressure rating) to get a bigger contact patch.

* My tires are Vittoria Rubino Pro, I forget which ones my wife has on her road bike.
Old 07-06-15, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
It all depends. I have ridden some 20 miles of fine crushed limestone on no-tread 23c tires. Would I ride something like the Mickelson Trail on such tires? No way.
Old 07-06-15, 11:46 AM
nitewing117

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden a few fine to medium coarse gravel paths with my Tarmac on 23's. I've never ridden any of these paths recently with other tires or bikes, but I didn't have too much of a problem. Most of the effort staying aware and trying to avoid any large rocks and really coarse gravel.
Old 07-06-15, 12:19 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My 27 X 1 1/4 road tires do really well on gravel roads...........

Old 07-06-15, 12:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I do this levee road from time to time. No problems where it's hardpack and small pebbles. Things get squirrelly where it gets deeper or washboarded. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

Forgot to add: I'm usually on 25mm road tires.

Last edited by caloso; 07-06-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-06-15, 01:13 PM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tekhna
Fine gravel is fine, coarser gravel you could pinch flat. Sandy sections you can wash out and go down pretty easily.
Sounds about par for what I'm seeing right now. So not much change to go to a slick then.

Originally Posted by caloso
I do this levee road from time to time. No problems where it's hardpack and small pebbles. Things get squirrelly where it gets deeper or washboarded. It's all about what you're comfortable with.
Your pic is much worse condition than my local paths. There's one spot, however, that's entirely washed out (where I need to carry my bike across)

It's the deeper gravel that makes me consider the larger tire to have better float.
Old 07-06-15, 01:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
Sounds about par for what I'm seeing right now. So not much change to go to a slick then.

Your pic is much worse condition than my local paths. There's one spot, however, that's entirely washed out (where I need to carry my bike across)

It's the deeper gravel that makes me consider the larger tire to have better float.
I hear you. It can be a challenge, but if you can fit a 28mm tire it's going to make things a lot better.