Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this a good lock?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this a good lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 02:00 PM
pavement_nyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 6 Posts
Is this a good lock?

I'm opening a mobile bike shop in the spring and looking for a good U-lock to carry, something at least as strong as the ~$40 Kryptonite locks. Distributors don't really want to sell to me because I don't have a brick and mortar, so I'm thinking of just ordering directly from manufacturers in China. Is this a decent lock?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/57...alarm.html?s=p
Old 02-11-13, 02:04 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know much about locks, but I have no idea how to tell whether the lock worthless or not (except that to say that aluminum isn't the material out of which most locks are made)
Old 02-11-13, 02:06 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
What's wrong with an actual Kryptonite lock?

That lock has an aluminium alloy body, which wouldn't offer much resistance against a mini-grinder. It might have some steel inside it, but do you want to take the risk that it doesn't?
Old 02-11-13, 02:11 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not a U-lock, but one of the shops near me prefers the Knog Party Frank lock. They have one on display that has been crushed and twisted by a theft attempt, but was not cut through and the thief gave up. One of the design features is a soft core, so bolt cutters don't have anything solid to push against to cut through.

I would have doubts about a no-name Chinese lock.
Old 02-11-13, 02:19 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Do you realize how small that lock is - 7.9x5.7 inches? Certainly not enough to lock up 2 wheels and frame.
Old 02-11-13, 02:41 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

I ran a mobile service for quite a few years and used 3 or 4 different distributors. I could not get some distributors to deal with me, but managed to buy from some (COD) once I had a DBA. sent a summary of my experience, a pic of my professional-looking van, and assured them that I would not be undercutting labor or parts prices - frankly you can't really afford to do so if you want to remain in business. However, I see that things have changed (this was 15 years ago). Quality Bike Products, who I used, specifically mentions mobile repair businesses and they too have to have a "physical retail location that allows the business to serve its customers face-to-face during regular retail hours." I also had a bit of an advantage in that I had worked at shops for over 10 years, had a lot of credibility and knew some of the sales reps by name. Even so I was in business for 3 years before I could wangle a line of bikes to carry.

I have no idea what your situation is as far as other shops, size of city, etc. but probably the only way you are going to be able to get wholesale prices is to work in conjunction with a shop. That could be a benefit to both of you, but will only work if you are a very good mechanic, with previous shop experience. Otherwise you will have to get parts like everyone else does, though you can often avoid paying sales tax on your purchases.

Speaking of that - you do understand that you have to charge, report and pass to the state sales tax on anything you sell, correct? You should also have a DBA, find out if your city has any other requirements (business license, liability coverage, etc) and keep records of all labor and parts sales as well as all expenses and inventory purchases. I was audited (randomly) while I was running my business, I came out fairly well, but would have done better with tighter records. If you don't cover yourself any business that is unhappy with your activities just has to call the IRS or the state or city to make your life miserable.
Old 02-12-13, 11:28 AM
pavement_nyc

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 6 Posts
Great advice cny-bikeman. I am registered as an LLC, have general liability insurance, and a very nice looking truck (pics attached). My website, thebiketruck.com, is currently under construction but will be up and running pretty soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-01-31_16-25-03_928.jpg (74.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
2013-01-31_16-08-01_173.jpg (80.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-12-13, 11:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by THE ARS
It's made in china, man, how nice can it be?
Never pass up an opportunity, do you?
Old 02-12-13, 01:24 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That said, you'll sell a lot more cheap locks than you will expensive ones.

Good luck with the business, what kind of truck are you going to run it out of?

Tom
Are Kryptonite locks not made in China?
Old 02-12-13, 01:43 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
110dBA alarm? If this were someone else's lock and I bumped it at the bike rack I'd be really pissed. For myself, I like a little plasticoat on my bike locks.
Old 02-12-13, 02:47 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

That's not a product limited to bike shops, so why not try some Masterlock distributors? Masterlock may even be familiar with which distributors would carry the product you need and do not require a retail outlet. https://www.masterlock.com/where_to_buy/

Worst case you can order from https://www.padlockoutlet.com. The Masterlock Fusion Ulock would come to just over $10 each in bulk. I know that may not be enough in NYC but it's lower than the $15-20 retail.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 02-12-13 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 03:13 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

That said, you'll sell a lot more cheap locks than you will expensive ones.

Good luck with the business, what kind of truck are you going to run it out of?

Tom

Believe it or not, Chinese manufacturers are a lot like manufacturers in America or anywhere else, some produce crap, some produce excellent products that are among the best in the world. Sometimes the same manufacturer will produce crap and excellent products that are rebranded with the names of a lot of American or other companies (check out how many of the popular bike companies are using frames made in China). Country of origin has little or nothing to do with the quality of the product. Every country produces a variety of quality. Check out the country of origin of the famous Kryptonite New York Chain and Evolution Lock (Here's a hint: It ain't made in Brooklyn)

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-999..._bxgy_sg_img_y

That said, the lock in the OP's question doesn't look like much IMHO, no matter where it was manufactured.

Last edited by Myosmith; 02-12-13 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 03:23 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
that lock looks like one blow with a hammer, and sproink, its open. a second blow and it shuts up.

and '110dB' is meaningless, without specified test conditions. is that 110dB at 1 meter? or at 1cm? dB by itself is a relative measurement, sound volume is generally given as dBA (dB Absolute).

I would consider that lock novelty junk until proven otherwise.
Old 02-12-13, 04:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
and '110dB' is meaningless, without specified test conditions. is that 110dB at 1 meter? or at 1cm? dB by itself is a relative measurement, sound volume is generally given as dBA (dB Absolute).
Inexact but not exactly meaningless, even at 1cm, 110dB is enough to be really annoying from a couple meters away. And dBA means decibels "on the A-weighted scale"
Old 02-12-13, 04:38 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
110dB is a 'chain saw at 1 meter'. ya think this little thing could possibly be even CLOSE to that volume?? 100dB, which is about 1/4 of the sound pressure level, is a jack hammer at 1 meter. ditto, no way.