Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM brake upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 06:47 AM
wheelingmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
SRAM brake upgrade?

Recently I purchased a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 Apex. The other day, I was browsing craigslist and found a almost brand new set of SRAM Force brake set for $80. Do you guys think it's worth upgrading? Honestly, I don't think I will NEED the performance of the Force brakes. If money is not an issue, would you upgrade or save it for something else? If I buy the Force, I could probably sell my Apex for $30. So it's really a $50 upgrade. Things that make you go hmmm...
Old 11-09-12, 08:15 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
The Force brakes will be a bit lighter - about 20 grams total, which really isn't much. And they might feel a little more powerful, but again, I'm not sure how noticeable that will be.

In my opinion, having solid brakes is pretty important. If you don't feel like the Apex brakes are doing a good enough job, by all means, upgrade to Force. But I don't think you will see a dramatic improvement.
Old 11-09-12, 08:18 AM
Brandonub

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo R3 Team

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelingmike
If money is not an issue, would you upgrade or save it for something else?
It seems to me that if the options are upgrade or save the money for something else, then money is an issue!

Personally, I'd be disinclined to make brakes my first upgrade, but if you feel like the Apex brakes aren't good enough, that's entirely discretionary, and no one can really tell you you're wrong about it.
Old 11-09-12, 08:24 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you want better braking consider a brake pad upgrade (depending on what's on there now).
Old 11-09-12, 08:55 AM
slims_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd seriously doubt Force is going to stop noticeably better than Apex...
Old 11-09-12, 09:01 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelingmike
Recently I purchased a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 Apex. The other day, I was browsing craigslist and found a almost brand new set of SRAM Force brake set for $80. Do you guys think it's worth upgrading? Honestly, I don't think I will NEED the performance of the Force brakes. If money is not an issue, would you upgrade or save it for something else? If I buy the Force, I could probably sell my Apex for $30. So it's really a $50 upgrade. Things that make you go hmmm...
No.
Old 11-09-12, 09:03 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Apex about throw me over the bars as it is. I'd put the money toward something else to save a mere 20 grams. Save another $5-10 bucks and don't eat breakfast. I bet you lose more than 20 grams . Clip you toenails, there goes 10 grams easy

$50-80 bucks is a set of tires.
Old 11-09-12, 09:05 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by slims_s
I'd seriously doubt Force is going to stop noticeably better than Apex...
and you gotta thing that the Apex's would allow you to better trail brake into turns.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-09-12, 10:31 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I also recently picked up a Synapse 6 Apex. I don't know about upgrading within SRAM, but I have to admit that the Apex brakes were underwhelming. They worked but not as well as Shimano brakes that I am used to. So I committed heresy and installed a set of Ultegra 6500's that I had in the parts box. Night and day difference. Much better feel and modulation. And they were much easier to set up.

That said I found that I prefer SRAM hoods and shifters for the same reason. Shimano is a bit mushy, but SRAM is crisp and just feels right.

YMMV. Enjoy the bike, I've fallen head over heels in love with mine.
Old 11-09-12, 03:22 PM
DiscTruckerMF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, I never road apex, but ride a full force bike now and I love it. My previous road bike had microshift brifters and some cheap cannondale brakes so when I got the force brakes it was a NIGHT and DAY difference in braking. for me personally, $50 isn't a big deal so yeah, I'd probably do it as a cheap way to start upgrading the bike a bit more. I really love my force groupset as a whole.
Old 11-09-12, 07:42 PM
lechat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much the the same brake. Just different weights.
Old 11-09-12, 08:10 PM
wheelingmike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I think you guys have convince me enough. I'm happy with the Apex' performance. And just that minute weight advantage doesn't seem very appealing so I'll pass. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-09-12, 09:31 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
All the calipers do is move the pads. The pads do all the stopping. The only real difference in calipers is weight (and that is a very insignificant difference). They all pretty much squeeze the same. I don't really think there is such a thing as a caliper upgrade.
Old 11-09-12, 11:06 PM
DiscTruckerMF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
All the calipers do is move the pads. The pads do all the stopping. The only real difference in calipers is weight (and that is a very insignificant difference). They all pretty much squeeze the same. I don't really think there is such a thing as a caliper upgrade.
This isn't entirely true. A lot of the brake feel has to do with the brake levers being used, but the setup of the caliper can make a big difference in braking. If you are a lighter weight rider it may not be a big difference but at 250lb brakes are important to me, especially since on downhills I can easily hit 40+mph coasting while you little guys are trying to spin out a 53/11
Old 11-09-12, 11:15 PM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swiss Stop Greens

/thread
Old 11-10-12, 12:46 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DiscTruckerMF
This isn't entirely true. A lot of the brake feel has to do with the brake levers being used, but the setup of the caliper can make a big difference in braking. If you are a lighter weight rider it may not be a big difference but at 250lb brakes are important to me, especially since on downhills I can easily hit 40+mph coasting while you little guys are trying to spin out a 53/11
Not sure what you are saying. Calipers are calipers. All they do is move the pads. The pads are the real hero. They apply friction to the rim. I'm not sure one brake caliper brand moves the pads better than another. The pads do all the stopping.
Old 11-10-12, 07:22 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on upgrading the pads. I put some cool stops on my rival breaks, if I ever upgrade it will be pure upgraditis, as there will be no functional improvement.
Old 11-10-12, 08:56 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride Force on two of my road bikes and love it. Their brakes are on par with dura ace which are the BEST brakes in the world.
BTW, Force is NOT the same as apex minus some weight. Better quality, modulation, stiffness, etc.............You get what you pay for.
Old 11-10-12, 05:32 PM
DiscTruckerMF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Not sure what you are saying. Calipers are calipers. All they do is move the pads. The pads are the real hero. They apply friction to the rim. I'm not sure one brake caliper brand moves the pads better than another. The pads do all the stopping.
well then you sir don't know jack **** about modern bikes and brakes. a Caliper is NOT a caliper. there are springs in them and there are adjustments that can also be made to those springs in my force caliper. depending on how you have them setup and the type of levers you are using there is a totally different feel. why do you think there are different brake levers for v brakes versus cantis? there are different pull ratios within different braking systems.
Old 11-10-12, 08:34 PM
Ruby13

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse , M300 and Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Synapse 6 but it came with crappy Tektro brakes not Apex. I changed the pads to koolstops and the brakes still sucked. Finally changed the whole group except for the shifters for the '12 Force group. With the upgraded group, Dura Ace wheels and Fizik seat I now consider it a Synapse 3+.