Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Loud Brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Loud Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 05:53 AM
wheelingmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Loud Brakes

Recently my front brake has developed a very loud noise when I use it. It doesn't matter if I hit it hard or not. It sounds like a truck air horn. It has Reynolds 46mm carbon wheels on it. It's only the front. The back is fine. I checked the front brake and the fork and everything seems nice and tight. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-11-16, 05:57 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you tried toe-ing in the brake pad? So that the front edge of the pad hits before the back edge of the pad? Just by a little bit, maybe like tighten the pad up with a penny or nickle in the back between it and the wheel. Other than that, clean both surfaces (pad and wheel surface).
Old 05-11-16, 06:09 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
Have you tried toe-ing in the brake pad? So that the front edge of the pad hits before the back edge of the pad? Just by a little bit, maybe like tighten the pad up with a penny or nickle in the back between it and the wheel. Other than that, clean both surfaces (pad and wheel surface).
Yes, those are the two main fixes. Slight toe in of the pads and completely clean braking surface on the rims. Use alcohol on a clean cloth to get the rim surface completely clean. Soap residue can cause the noise as can grease.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-11-16, 07:09 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Run a flat file over the surface of the pads to remove any glaze or debris embedded there.

Rims that are too clean, as in those cleaned with alcohol, may also squeal like a stuck pig for a while until they get a tad dusty.

All of this assumes, of course, that the pads are toed in as mentioned above.

I see you are using Reynolds rims, are you also using their blue pads? Some pad/rim combinations will squeal no matter what you do.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 05-11-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 08:45 AM
wheelingmike

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try to clean the rim and toe the pads.

And Bob, yes, I am using the blue pads that came with the rims.
Old 05-11-16, 09:02 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Are you sure there isn't a truck following you, honking it's horn when you hit the brakes? ;-)

You're using rim brakes, right? If so, the I don't really have much to add to what's already been written, except that you might be using old, hardened brake pads. Even if you replaced them recently, it's possible, if not likely, that they sat on a warehouse shelf for years.
Old 05-11-16, 09:39 AM
wheelingmike

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
Are you sure there isn't a truck following you, honking it's horn when you hit the brakes? ;-)

You're using rim brakes, right? If so, the I don't really have much to add to what's already been written, except that you might be using old, hardened brake pads. Even if you replaced them recently, it's possible, if not likely, that they sat on a warehouse shelf for years.
Yes, they are rim brakes. The pads came with the wheelset which I received as a Christmas present two Christmas ago. So they're about about 2 years old maybe? If I have to change pads, can I use after market pads? Reynolds specifically stated that only their blue pads should be used on their rims. I don't know if this is a marketing thing or not.
Old 05-11-16, 09:47 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelingmike
Yes, they are rim brakes. The pads came with the wheelset which I received as a Christmas present two Christmas ago. So they're about about 2 years old maybe? If I have to change pads, can I use after market pads? Reynolds specifically stated that only their blue pads should be used on their rims. I don't know if this is a marketing thing or not.
You might try the Black Prince pads. You don't want to use just any pad on crabon rims.
Old 05-11-16, 09:57 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelingmike
If I have to change pads, can I use after market pads? Reynolds specifically stated that only their blue pads should be used on their rims. I don't know if this is a marketing thing or not.
The only carbon fiber I own are the shift levers on my Klein, but I know carbon fiber needs all kind of special care, like special lube for carbon seat posts and such. I imagine you could use aftermarket pads, but only ones designed specifically for carbon fiber rims.
Old 05-11-16, 11:08 AM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you try a little grease on the pads to help with the noise?

Kidding, what deapee said.
Old 05-12-16, 05:50 AM
wheelingmike

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Here's an update. I cleaned the rim and pads with some alcohol. Toed the pads with a penny. And I also retighen the headset. Now, even under full braking force, it only makes a silent but deadly fart noise. Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 05-12-16, 06:26 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
This, even though you did it already. I also have Reynolds 46mm Carbon rims and they squeak like crazy when the pads wear the toe straight again. Keep up the adjustments as necessary and have a spare set of pads ready for when they need to be replaced.