Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Conversion Kit Trek Superfly?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-22, 09:38 AM
wheelingmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Hi. I have a 2016 Trek Superfly 9.6 (Hardtail). As I'm getting older, I would like to have a little assist going up hill. I thought getting a new electric mountain bike but can't since the cost of new one is out of reach. Is there a kit that I buy to convert my existing bike? With disc brakes, I'm guessing I'm limited to a mid drive? If so, any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-22, 12:42 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
You're not limited to a mid-drive, but IMO they're best for off road. Look at a BBS02 from Luna Cycle or others. The total cost will be < $1,000 with a good battery.
Old 06-21-22, 01:18 PM
wheelingmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
You're not limited to a mid-drive, but IMO they're best for off road. Look at a BBS02 from Luna Cycle or others. The total cost will be < $1,000 with a good battery.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like Luna Cycle is out of stock but I was able to find it on Amazon. I read somewhere that this is not recommended for carbon frames. Is there any truth to that? Thanks!
Old 06-21-22, 01:39 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I haven't seen anything to support that, but since you "jam" the bike against the downtube, it would be necessary to cushion the frame IMO (I've used a rubber strip on all my installations). Additionally since your bike likely has a 73mm bottom bracket, you won't be able to use the "jam" nut for your installation and need to use Locktite on the center nut securing the unit. You might go to endless sphere and determine what others have done since I've only used the BBS02 on steel or aluminum hardtails.