Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using Ultegra 6600 cassette with SRAM Apex groupset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 01:36 AM
BoggleMinds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've currently riding SRAM Apex with 50/34 @ 11-28. Overall it's nice, but I'm finding that the gear spacing is just not optimal for my level of fitness (averaging 17mph usually) and the terrain I ride in, which is predominantly flat. I'm finding that I tend to stay in the 50t ring, but switching around near the upper end. Notably on the 11-28 Apex cassette the upper end the jumps are 28-25-22-19-17, which I find to be quite large for the flats (especially 22 to 19), not to mention cross-chaining at times.

Playing around with gear inch calculators, it seems that something like a 14-25 cassette would allow me to have a lot smoother gear steps around my main cruising speeds. Yes, I realise this is considered a "junior" cassette, but it's what I feel would suit my level better than what I'm currently using. The question is compatibility of the Ultegra 6600 cassette with the SRAM Apex setup -- is it doable, or would it not work?
Old 05-23-13, 01:42 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
As far as I'm aware, all SRAM and Shimano cassettes are compatible with one another in terms of sprocket spacing and the hub bodies that they'll fit, with the possible exception of 11-speed. I can confirm they are fully compatible as far up the ladder as 9-speed, because that's as high as I've gone mixing and matching, but I believe 10s will work too.
Old 05-23-13, 05:20 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes they are compatible. But you need to check so see if the chainstay will clear the 14t cog as your smallest cog with the chain on. Ussually it's kinda tight there.
Old 05-23-13, 05:56 AM
wheelingmike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoggleMinds
I've currently riding SRAM Apex with 50/34 @ 11-28. Overall it's nice, but I'm finding that the gear spacing is just not optimal for my level of fitness (averaging 17mph usually) and the terrain I ride in, which is predominantly flat. I'm finding that I tend to stay in the 50t ring, but switching around near the upper end. Notably on the 11-28 Apex cassette the upper end the jumps are 28-25-22-19-17, which I find to be quite large for the flats (especially 22 to 19), not to mention cross-chaining at times.

Playing around with gear inch calculators, it seems that something like a 14-25 cassette would allow me to have a lot smoother gear steps around my main cruising speeds. Yes, I realise this is considered a "junior" cassette, but it's what I feel would suit my level better than what I'm currently using. The question is compatibility of the Ultegra 6600 cassette with the SRAM Apex setup -- is it doable, or would it not work?
OP, I'm in the same boat as you are. My current favorite combo is 50x22 but the next shift is to 19. Like you, I'm trying to see if I can get a closer ratio. Keep us posted on what you decided and how it works. Thanks.
Old 05-23-13, 06:12 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Why not just get a 12-25 cassette? You'll still have somewhat closer spacing and will have a reasonable gear for big tailwind or downhills, and skip with the worry about cog potentially rubbing your chainstay.
Old 05-23-13, 06:34 PM
BoggleMinds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Good to know that the Ultegra cassette should be compatible.

Originally Posted by hyhuu
Yes they are compatible. But you need to check so see if the chainstay will clear the 14t cog as your smallest cog with the chain on. Ussually it's kinda tight there.
I'm riding a 2012 Specialized Roubaix, but I'm not sure if the chainstays give enough room. Just eyeballing it they seem to provide ample space but I'm not sure how I'd check this without actually having the new cassette on hand..

Originally Posted by TallRider
Why not just get a 12-25 cassette? You'll still have somewhat closer spacing and will have a reasonable gear for big tailwind or downhills, and skip with the worry about cog potentially rubbing your chainstay.
I guess 12-25 could work, but I'd be missing the 18 and 20 cogs from the 14-25, and those are the gears that I'd probably want to be using a fair amount I think. I don't think I need the top end that much as I'm a through and through flatlander, I don't do climbs/descents, and sustaining 25mph+ on the flats even with a tailwind is probably outside my current realm of fitness.