Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-23, 01:46 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by JustaJoe
Stoopid newbie question for an old bike, I've searched and I'm not finding answers: I want to convert my (build date Feb 2018) CT to a 1X. I've been riding it exclusively on the middle front chainring (38T), so now I'd like to go to a single front chainring and upgrade the rear probably to AdventX. I am confused about how to fit a new front ring? Is the 3X front a direct mount? (Sorry, not fully schooled on all terminology) If so, is there consideration for spacing/offset?
And if not, what all do I need to fit a single up front?

This has the 68mm BB, square taper. Guess I'll also need new cranks... Obviously I'll need a new chain as well.

Thanks for any guidance.

(And before anyone advises to just leave the front alone, I would, but this is kind of my play/learn/project bike so I want to noodle with it.)
I was considering to change my Crosstrail out to a 1x system, but sold it and bought a bike that is a bit better sized for me. It is very similar to the Crosstrail, just the right size large instead of medium. I did convert it over to a 1x system about 2 years ago.

Anyhow, yes it is possible to change it to a 1x system. Regarding your crank, chances are you have a riveted crankset, so you will not be able to change the chainrings. You can attempt to find an Alivio to change to a 1x system as I did on my SubCross, or you can just purchase a Shimano Deore 1x crankset. Either or will require you to change bottom bracket since neither uses square taper. BUT....There are 1x square taper cranksets out there. Example click here

Regarding the Advent X, it's a great system that I installed on my prior hard tail mountain bike. Be aware that the shifter is a push push shifter. Meaning you don't push and pull like the Shimano's to shift gears. Personally I like the push push system better, but just got used to it since mountain biking, the one finger is for breaks and thumb is for shifting.

Also, Advent X is designed to work with the 11-48 cassettes, so it won't be a super smooth shifting between gears, but it shifts good and is a solid system.

Hope it helps, I thought it was fun to change the drivetrain out and have a much smoother shifting system without having to fuss with the front derailleur any longer. I hardly ever used the front derailleur and rather the gear range in the back.

Last edited by travbikeman; 07-24-23 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 07-25-23, 07:00 AM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I was considering to change my Crosstrail out to a 1x system, but sold it and bought a bike that is a bit better sized for me. It is very similar to the Crosstrail, just the right size large instead of medium. I did convert it over to a 1x system about 2 years ago.

Anyhow, yes it is possible to change it to a 1x system. Regarding your crank, chances are you have a riveted crankset, so you will not be able to change the chainrings. You can attempt to find an Alivio to change to a 1x system as I did on my SubCross, or you can just purchase a Shimano Deore 1x crankset. Either or will require you to change bottom bracket since neither uses square taper. BUT....There are 1x square taper cranksets out there. Example click here

Regarding the Advent X, it's a great system that I installed on my prior hard tail mountain bike. Be aware that the shifter is a push push shifter. Meaning you don't push and pull like the Shimano's to shift gears. Personally I like the push push system better, but just got used to it since mountain biking, the one finger is for breaks and thumb is for shifting.

Also, Advent X is designed to work with the 11-48 cassettes, so it won't be a super smooth shifting between gears, but it shifts good and is a solid system.

Hope it helps, I thought it was fun to change the drivetrain out and have a much smoother shifting system without having to fuss with the front derailleur any longer. I hardly ever used the front derailleur and rather the gear range in the back.
travbikeman thank you very much for this detailed response, and yes it does help a great deal! This past weekend, I removed the front chainring to check things out and it is indeed riveted, so.... I then stopped by my LBS and asked some questions, the store manager showed me some new 1X chainrings, cranksets, rear derailleurs that they have stashed and are cheap/closeouts (mostly Shimano). I'll cart the bike up there this week and see what we can fashion.

I was not aware of the push-push of the AdventX. I will see if they have any bikes with that system I can try, every bike I've had was fitted with the push-pull shifter.

Thank you again!
Likes For JustaJoe:
Old 08-02-23, 11:33 AM
mvhoffman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I just picked up yesterday a new to me 2009 Crosstrail Sport. It is in great shape but needs a good tune up. There are a few local shops that I have as options so i'm not too worried about that. My big question is that I want to convert to a 1x. I asked the shops over the phone about cost and have gotten some varied responses as in "depending on what level you want" and " we have to see what I have in stock". Ultimately one shop stated that depending on chainlink that I would want, it could be anywhere from 40-80 just for the part. So my question is... should I just follow true to youtube and get the one that I see being used on every video from Amazon and do it myself quick before taking for service and then when they adjust tune up everything it is done?

The left 3x shifter is shot and instead of replacing and having to deal with the front derailer I could simply just get rid of it all and do the job fairly cheap where if I had the shop do it, it would be from the sounds of it close to $100

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-23, 06:39 PM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mvhoffman
So I just picked up yesterday a new to me 2009 Crosstrail Sport. It is in great shape but needs a good tune up. There are a few local shops that I have as options so i'm not too worried about that. My big question is that I want to convert to a 1x. I asked the shops over the phone about cost and have gotten some varied responses as in "depending on what level you want" and " we have to see what I have in stock". Ultimately one shop stated that depending on chainlink that I would want, it could be anywhere from 40-80 just for the part. So my question is... should I just follow true to youtube and get the one that I see being used on every video from Amazon and do it myself quick before taking for service and then when they adjust tune up everything it is done?

The left 3x shifter is shot and instead of replacing and having to deal with the front derailer I could simply just get rid of it all and do the job fairly cheap where if I had the shop do it, it would be from the sounds of it close to $100

Thoughts?
For some context, in my research of going to 1X will cost at least $200 for new parts. You can do it for far less (eg keep existing front triple chainring, find used parts). Otherwise you're looking at:
  1. Rear cassette, assuming you find one that fits your rear hub. If needed, you may need a new rear hub + labor to set up your wheel.
  2. Rear derailleur.
  3. New shifter for the rear + cable/housing.
  4. Front 1X chainring.
  5. New crankset.
  6. Possibly a new bottom bracket.
  7. New chain.
Of course, if you're content with the rear cassette/gearing with a single up front, costs can be minimized even more. I've been using the AdventX setup as my baseline, and think I can do it properly (new front 1X, new crankset, new rear derailleur, new chain, new shifter) for just over $200, doing labor myself.
Old 08-04-23, 07:14 AM
mvhoffman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For some context, in my research of going to 1X will cost at least $200 for new parts. You can do it for far less (eg keep existing front triple chainring, find used parts). Otherwise you're looking at:
  1. Rear cassette, assuming you find one that fits your rear hub. If needed, you may need a new rear hub + labor to set up your wheel.
  2. Rear derailleur.
  3. New shifter for the rear + cable/housing.
  4. Front 1X chainring.
  5. New crankset.
  6. Possibly a new bottom bracket.
  7. New chain.
Of course, if you're content with the rear cassette/gearing with a single up front, costs can be minimized even more. I've been using the AdventX setup as my baseline, and think I can do it properly (new front 1X, new crankset, new rear derailleur, new chain, new shifter) for just over $200, doing labor myself.
So I will be keeping and using my rear cassette, rear derailer, current crankset, everything will be reused except chain and new chainring. With tools I purchased:
40T chainring
crank pulling tools
new brakes with lines
new shifter with lines
bike multi tool
bike degreaser
chain
chain lube
grips
chain guide

All for under $100 dollars. This is not going to be a high test bike. It is going to be a rail trail riding dad bike. I will be doing all of the labor. I will keep tabs on what i'm doing and post a finalized post on here. I'm still planning on taking to a shop for a one over/tune up to make sure everything is okay.
Likes For mvhoffman:
Old 08-04-23, 11:36 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I was not aware of the push-push of the AdventX. I will see if they have any bikes with that system I can try, every bike I've had was fitted with the push-pull shifter.
For what it's worth, most of the Advent (9-speed) shfiters are push-pull if you prefer that: https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/advent/

Everything other than the "trail" triggers are push-pull; the "trail" triggers are push-push.

I'm currently using an Advent derailleur with a Sunrace 11-40 cassette in the back, with a 34T ring on the front, on a light duty MTB, to play around again with 1x stuff. This is "good enough" range for me. I'd prefer more, but I like the economics of the 9-speed stuff. I like Sunrace's 11-40 cassette because of its familiarity -- it's basically a traditional 11-28 7-speed (with the gear steps we all know and perhaps grew up with), but with a 34T 8th sprocket and a 40T 9th sprocket. Microshift sells an 11-42 cassette in the Advent line which otherwise has the same gearing as the Sunrace 11-40, but with a 42T large sprocket instead of a 40T. They also sell an 11-46 cassette, which I actually have but am not currently using...its gear steps are certainly much larger and I think it works okay in certain circumstances, but not in others.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-04-23, 11:45 AM
mvhoffman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
For what it's worth, most of the Advent (9-speed) shfiters are push-pull if you prefer that:

Everything other than the "trail" triggers are push-pull; the "trail" triggers are push-push.

I'm currently using an Advent derailleur with a Sunrace 11-40 cassette in the back, with a 34T ring on the front, on a light duty MTB, to play around again with 1x stuff. This is "good enough" range for me. I'd prefer more, but I like the economics of the 9-speed stuff. I like Sunrace's 11-40 cassette because of its familiarity -- it's basically a traditional 11-28 7-speed (with the gear steps we all know and perhaps grew up with), but with a 34T 8th sprocket and a 40T 9th sprocket. Microshift sells an 11-42 cassette in the Advent line which otherwise has the same gearing as the Sunrace 11-40, but with a 42T large sprocket instead of a 40T. They also sell an 11-46 cassette, which I actually have but am not currently using...its gear steps are certainly much larger and I think it works okay in certain circumstances, but not in others.
I appreciate the info. I'm going to see how it goes using everything that I have so far. Once I get more comfortable and lose a little bit more weight I will likely upgrade the cassette or add a real mountain bike into my quiver. This is simply just going to be a trail riding dad bike. I will be sticking with the 1x on front and 8 in the back as it is now.
Old 08-26-23, 03:19 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
My Crosstrail is from 2013, the first year for this model if I'm not mistaken. I have the top-line Comp Disc model with a SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain. While doing routine maintenance today I noticed that the chainring and cassette teeth are getting worn and maybe it would be worth replacing them over the winter. After getting my Vado SL e-bike I had assumed that I'd be disposing of this bike, but find that I still enjoy riding it enough to be worth keeping!

Anyway, replacing the cassette will be no problem, as the PG-1030 11-36 cassette is widely available. But I'm not sure how to go about getting the correct chainrings. It's a 48/32 set, but there seem to be a wide variety of cranksets and chainrings for various SRAM configurations. Does anyone know offhand the specifications for what I should look for? It's a 4-bolt outer chainring with the smaller ring attached inside that one. I'm not too familiar with these components and could use some help figuring it out. I don't want to buy a new crankset -- just some compatible chainrings.