Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

buyer alert Rick in Toronto

Old 10-29-20, 10:39 PM
g.shao

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buyer alert Rick in Toronto

hi everyone, if you dont want to get in trouble like i did read the post.

about a month ago i bought a bicycle Trek 1000 from a guy called Rick. he lives in Toronto. he sells bikes and e-bikes. he had a terrible rating on kijiji but i did not take that in consideration, which was a mistake.

so he had it listed as bike in GREAT condition and price was good so i went to see it. he showed up 15-20 minutes late and he told me that bike had few problems and he was gonna fix it for me in like 30min. i said go ahead. i waited there for around 2 hours and after i left because i could not contact him. he apologized for that later that day and said he would include lots of extras for me. i picked up bike next day and it looked okay. he gave me some extras ( bar tape, seat with seat post and handlebar ).

took it home and on the way i noticed something was not right, at home started adjusting sifters, breaks and as i was doing it i found that everything was wrong with the bike. extras he gave me were worthless coz i really could not use anything. i contacted him and asked if he could take it back but he refused. he said he could give me some parts to fix it if i needed. also i want to add that he was terribly unresponsive, i had to wait for days to get his answers as i did not have his number. after i got his number he would not even answer the calls. finally i called him he answered and we arranged the time so i could go and pick the shifters i really needed to finish the bike. i went there and he never showed up. next day i am calling and he goes those shifters are not for free. i was so mad but what could i do ?

i ended up replacing : front and rear tires + tubes, break levers, cables and housing, bar tape, bottom bracket, crank-set, pedals, also changed threaded stem to thread-less stem because handlebar diameter was so big it was stuck in quill stem. i have not heard from Rick again even tho i tried calling him thousand times.

i just wanted to let everyone know that RICK is the worst seller and dont ever do business with him or you will regret it.

also always check the bike thoroughly before you buy it! ( that was my mistake )

thanks for reading my story.

stay safe

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-29-20 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 10:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yeah...this can't be ok to do. Right?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-29-20, 11:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yeah...this can't be ok to do. Right?
Huh? Seriously?

OP sorry you had to learn the hard way. Thanks for the warning.

Old 10-30-20, 12:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
we don't allow someone's address to be posted. Sorry for your problems though
Old 10-30-20, 06:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Welcome to BF. Know what you are buying! A valuable lesson and you've learned at the small cost of an inexpensive bike. Glad you were able to get it fixed.
Old 10-30-20, 06:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Huh? Seriously?
Yeah, seriously. That was messed up and I think its so obvious that everyone should be on board.
Its doxing, for all intents and purposes.
Old 10-30-20, 08:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
moved here from general cycling
Old 10-30-20, 06:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Caveat emptor. "Let the buyer beware."