Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheels stolen from Ultra 6 120mm configuration

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-02-20, 07:36 PM
runderwo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wheels and seat were ripped off while my bike was locked up. I'd like to replace them instead of junking the bike. Bear with me, I don't know much about this.

The bike is a Specialized Crossroads Cruz. My best guess based on the fact that it's a 120mm rear and the specs call for a 6 speed, 14-28 "cassette" is that it takes a Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel, so I grabbed one of those.

I am having trouble finding a 120mm rear wheel that is economical for this bike. There aren't enough hub threads to put this freewheel on the 120mm flip-flop hubs that seem to be common.

Basically I'm looking for a hub/spoke/rim which will fit this and take a common/cheap tire size, like 32c, and ideally one I can match a front 100mm wheel to, without being too much of a loss in money and effort if thieves hit me again.

This is my first post here so I apologize if I've left anything important out.
Old 06-02-20, 08:01 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Get a 126 mm wheel, and "ooomph" the dropouts wider when inserting the wheel.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-02-20, 08:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Any 126mm rear hub that takes a freewheel will work. The caveat is removing/replacing the spacers by 3mm per side. Then cut the axle to 131mm. Always easier to remove than add.

John

Edit Added: Cold setting the frame to fit a 126mm will be better in the long run. You may want to have someone do it or talk to someone who has. The dropouts will be honked up and you’ll have to bend then parallel. Not a big deal, but will need to be done.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-02-20 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 08:21 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by runderwo
My wheels and seat were ripped off while my bike was locked up. I'd like to replace them instead of junking the bike. Bear with me, I don't know much about this.

The bike is a Specialized Crossroads Cruz. My best guess based on the fact that it's a 120mm rear and the specs call for a 6 speed, 14-28 "cassette" is that it takes a Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel, so I grabbed one of those.

I am having trouble finding a 120mm rear wheel that is economical for this bike. There aren't enough hub threads to put this freewheel on the 120mm flip-flop hubs that seem to be common.

Basically I'm looking for a hub/spoke/rim which will fit this and take a common/cheap tire size, like 32c, and ideally one I can match a front 100mm wheel to, without being too much of a loss in money and effort if thieves hit me again.

This is my first post here so I apologize if I've left anything important out.

I'd offer the exact wheel that you'd need, but UPS and USPS have jacked up their shipping costs because of the rioting stuff...

...for now, use this document as a reference to build your own:

https://www.mrrabbit.net/docs/freewhe...OLD_sizing.pdf

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-03-20, 02:26 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If possible I'd consider seeing if any shops in your area would be willing to cold set the bike economically to either 126 or 130mm and align the dropouts and hanger. Friction shifting 8 speeds on a 130mm rear end is a nice upgrade for many older bikes.

Also, while 120mm multi-speed wheels have become somewhat uncommon new, they're still pretty darn common used.
Old 06-03-20, 01:14 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Are you sure the frame is 120mm wide? The crossroad is from the early 90s. I would be very surprised if it wasn’t originally at least 126.
Old 06-03-20, 04:22 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Are you sure the frame is 120mm wide? The crossroad is from the early 90s. I would be very surprised if it wasn’t originally at least 126.
Agreed.
(I'd love to find an Ultra6 that has at least a 28 large not priced like gold. They pop up here but I am always too late.)

Last edited by dmark; 06-03-20 at 04:26 PM.