Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Racing again

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Racing again

Old 09-18-20, 02:22 PM
threeteas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Racing again

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but what, in general, are folk's perspective on the upper age limit of participating in Cat. 3 races? Or even occasional 2/3 races? I recently turned 50 and have gotten very much back into cycling and some occasional racing over the last few years, mainly just low-key events like fondos, grinders and a road race here or there. As the kids have gotten older I've really wanted to ramp it up though. As in, a couple of good seasons of crits and maybe a masters nationals race in the future. I miss it and still love the sport. Just not sure many 50 + folks are even able to physically do this. And I have heard racing has just gotten harder and faster. (And some background--I have at least 10 years in my teens and twenties racing very competitively as a 3 and almost made it to Cat. 2 before getting married).

I spent so much time devoted to raising my kids--it has really been worth it. But I did give up at least 15 years of racing in the process. Now I'd like to concentrate more on me and doing the sport I love.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-18-20, 02:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,632 Posts
I would say you don't know until you try! IME most guys can remain fit and competitive into their mid 40's. After that, some guys can, if they're really good/talented. But there's also Masters age-graded racing too! Keep in mind that the 40/45+ is often the third fastest race of the day, behind the 30/35+ and the elite race of course.

Is there a competitive cycling community where you live? You should be able to slot into local hammer pace group rides to see how you fit in with the local competition.

In either event - I recommend spending all winter trying to build up the volume again, and maybe you'll have something to work with for 2021! If there is a racing season that is...
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-18-20, 02:44 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
It's up to where you are and what the locals are like. Our local 50+ fields have at least 1 or 2 past Olympians and pros in them. That said they are so immensely safer than the crash 3's. 3's are so full of younger riders that finally have a little speed but absolutely no finesse or ability to use it intelligently.

In other words at this point are you happier putting it all onthe line every race with kids that don't necessarily have to go to work on Monday or possibly getting dropped when the attacks dial up in in a field of people who are really smooth with their lines and braking, etc.

Old 09-19-20, 12:22 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
The nice thing about racing masters is that everybody knows the consequences of crashing and nobody wants to do that.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 09-19-20, 09:38 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Double up: Masters and Cat 3s. Double the fun.

I've raced a number of 50 year old + Cat 1s, but they're generally ex-master's national champs and still really good. They don't usually podium 1/2 races, but can still mix it up.
Old 09-19-20, 02:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
I had a teammate earn an upgrade to Cat 1 in his mis 50’s

if your willing to do the work, most anyone can race Cat 3 in their 50’s.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.