Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to determine Pinarello frame size?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-26-09, 06:42 PM
Lightingguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The GVH site shows a ton of frames, with some frames having C-C indicated and some as C-T.

https://www.gvhbikes.com/

With road frames these days having extreme sloping TT's, not quite as extreme sloping TT's, some with sloping TT's due to longer head tubes (Rivendell and Heron come to mind) and some frames having level top tubes, the only meaningful measurement is effective top tube, also know as virtual top tube. This is how the GVH site refers to it and is what most folks use as a reference as to how the frame will fit, all things being equal, such as stem length, handlebar drop, etc... Since the stem/h-bar position is variable depending on head tube length, amount of fork steerer covered in spacers, as well as stem angle and length, it comes back to effective top tube as the only constant.

The OP probably didn't really know what measurement the 55 was, might have been C-C on the seat tube, or maybe C-T, might have been virtual/real TT, but in any case sold it and the purchaser ALSO never asked (apparantly) as to where the 55 was derived from, or did ask and was given incorect info. by the seller. Only additional info. by the OP would enlighten us.

Steve B.
Old 08-27-09, 01:13 AM
abstract

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinarello frame size ID

As has been clear from the discussions, there are numerous ways (and points) from which to measure, discuss and label a frame's sizing. If one is interested in finding the frame size (as determined by Pinarello), turn the bike/frame upside down and examine the bottom bracket area. Search for a single imprinted number. In this photo, there is a number '2,' which I believe corresponds to 52 cm. If a '5' marking was found, it would mean it is a 55cm frame, according to Pinarello's frame measurements. If one looks under the first letter P in Pinarello you can see a faint number 2. The other numbers are the serial number, followed by a dash '-' and the year of manufacture, in this case, '99' means it was made in 1999. Disclaimer: I do not know if this coded system has been continued with their more recent models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
framesizeID.jpg (97.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-27-09, 04:23 AM
alberty2k

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
Finally got to put some miles on my new (used) Pinarello last Sunday. Been away at a training class without access to the web so sorry for the late report. Only went 20 miles, 10 each way on a local trail, but this was a sample ride anyway, and I had limited time as I was only home for a day and a half. I had installed a new Trek computer so I was excited to get going and see how it rode. The ride was very flat but I didnt care, I just needed to get my legs moving. I started out and got into what I felt was a comfortable pace, and when I looked at the computer it showed 17Mph. Crap, I figured I set the wheel size or something wrong, as my usual pace on my Cannondale hybrid that I commute on is only 14 or so. Anyway I figured since my 7 mile commute usually takes me 30 minutes, I would check my split time at 7 miles and see if I was in the ballpark. 7 miles later, I looked and saw that I was at 27:30 for the 7 miles. Now I was excited cause I could tell the difference between the Pinarello and the Cannondale. I was doing really well, (for me) and enjoying every minute. At the turn around point I realized one small problem with the Pinarello. I didnt have any bottle cages on it, hence, no water, and it was sunny and nearly 90. Guess I was in a bit of a hurry to get out huh? Fortunately theres a lbs near my turn around so I stopped, bought 2 cages, and 2 Gatorades and made the ride home even faster, into a wind.

------------
albert

for more details visit the link ... Pinarello frame size
Old 08-31-09, 06:27 AM
israeloros

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks a lot to all the people who have replied to this thread; with all the information I have gathered from this thread I think I have enough ammunition to support my statements or do I?
Old 10-07-20, 10:11 PM
frizank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by israeloros
Thanks a lot to all the people who have replied to this thread; with all the information I have gathered from this thread I think I have enough ammunition to support my statements or do I?
This thread has been inactive for a while but thought it worth mentioning. I recently picked up a 2020 Gan and had the same question because I couldn't find it anywhere as I had lost my sales receipt. I went in for a fit today at the same place I bought it and asked the question and someone there pointed out that the frame size can be found in 2 (maybe 3) places: On the box it's shipped in and embedded within the bike's serial number. I'm too new to post pics here but my serial (beneath the bottom bracket) is 8CT5150870091.The frame size is in bold. My frame size is 51.5" according to this and I had them look up my sales receipt (which would be the 3rd place depending on the shop) for me and sure enough it matched.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-08-20, 05:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by israeloros
Maybe too obvious, do you have a copy or found a geometry chart for your year's model? Then easiest measured dimension to cross-reference to verify frame-maker's size designation is usually the headtube length. Any ruler should work for this purpose. Have buyer take photograph of ruler against the headtube showing length.

If you can't find geo chart on Pinarello's site, perhaps one of the other sites like 99spokes.com could help
Old 10-08-20, 12:18 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe too obvious, do you have a copy or found a geometry chart for your year's model? Then easiest measured dimension to cross-reference to verify frame-maker's size designation is usually the headtube length. Any ruler should work for this purpose. Have buyer take photograph of ruler against the headtube showing length.

If you can't find geo chart on Pinarello's site, perhaps one of the other sites like 99spokes.com could help
He probably figured it out sometime within the past 11 years. This thread was just resurrected by a Newbie.
Old 10-08-20, 12:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
He probably figured it out sometime within the past 11 years. This thread was just resurrected by a Newbie.
Doh!
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-08-20, 09:19 PM
frizank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't mean people don't read this stuff. I landed here looking for same thing - thought it might be useful anyway. Oh well.