Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where is our LBS going?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where is our LBS going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 10:46 AM
GaIslander

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.0 DI2, Trek Domane 4, Trek Marlin 6, Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie Path

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is our LBS going?

Went into my LBS, Trek-Electra store, today to plunk down a grand for a Trek Dual Sport 3. They only had 3 new Ebikes in stock, very limited parts and accessories, only one person the owner working, and 2 weeks to get a repair. He don't know when new bikes will be available, maybe next March or April, and he wouldn't take my money to back order one. The owner is a friend as well as fellow cyclist. Wow! It was disturbing even though I have other bikes to ride. I hope all this works out, but I am fearful it may not.

I don't know what kind of business model Trek has for this to happen.

GAIslander
Old 10-09-20, 10:51 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by GaIslander
Went into my LBS, Trek-Electra store, today to plunk down a grand for a Trek Dual Sport 3. They only had 3 new Ebikes in stock, very limited parts and accessories, only one person the owner working, and 2 weeks to get a repair. He don't know when new bikes will be available, maybe next March or April, and he wouldn't take my money to back order one. The owner is a friend as well as fellow cyclist. Wow! It was disturbing even though I have other bikes to ride. I hope all this works out, but I am fearful it may not.
I don't know what kind of business model Trek has for this to happen. GAIslander
COVID-19 got a lot of new people riding bikes, so if your LBS is sold out of bikes and backlogged with service requests I guess it's a good problem to have?
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 10-09-20, 11:03 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by GaIslander

I don't know what kind of business model Trek has for this to happen.
It has been this way for months. probably since April or so when the weather became nice.

The store by me probably has a handful of bikes, when they usually have 100+ on hand or enroute. But of that handful, typically it is a 48cm in one model, a 64cm in another.... Odd sizes. The more-popular sizes are backordered.
Old 10-09-20, 11:08 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Had a conversation with a guy that runs one of our LBSs about all of this. I expressed that it must mean good times for the business, but he said it was not really. He said they had a good month or two until stock ran out, but since then it has not been so good. They can't get bikes, parts, or other things to sell, and are hoping to get through things by doing repairs. But, repairs don't really pay the bills. The "good problem" was only for a short term and is really a bad problem over the long term.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-09-20, 11:20 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Sounds like you haven’t had to buy anything bike related this year. Due to COVID19, the entire bike supply chain is affected, from bikes to bike parts. Repairs are backlogged as well because people are dusting off their old bikes to ride, and they need repair and adjustment.

The largest LBS in my area converted the back third of their showroom into bike storage, in order to hold the bikes they’re working on. I ordered a bike from an online shop because I can’t find it anywhere local. This shop has my bike in stock but won’t be able to assemble for 4-6 weeks because they have so many bikes to build in their queue.

Good time to be in the bike business.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 10-09-20, 11:24 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
The supply chain for both parts and assembled bikes is in a bit of a mess. Air freight was disrupted due to Covid-19 and the same thing has happend to shipping freight. It's not that the factories in the far east aren't making the stuff, they just can't ship the quantities required as their supplies are compromised...add the reduced shipping fleet...and this is the state we are in...

Last edited by Bob the Mech; 10-09-20 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 10-09-20, 11:38 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
I came back to the bike biz this past spring, then the virus hit, closed the shop, and a month or so later the shop opened and it was pedal to the metal for May, June, July, August, and started to slow down in late September. We had a record number of repairs come through, parts became scarce as the supply chain was emptied by the end of June. Bikes ran out at the same time.
The bike brands have put all their eggs in one basket and with the economic shutdown world wide, and no domestic production available, it became a problem. Being unable to restock is a problem, not a good one either. No inventory, no sales, no sales, no paychecks.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-09-20, 11:39 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
Good time to be in the bike business.
Yeah, no.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-09-20, 11:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
The largest LBS in my area converted the back third of their showroom into bike storage, in order to hold the bikes they’re working on. I ordered a bike from an online shop because I can’t find it anywhere local. This shop has my bike in stock but won’t be able to assemble for 4-6 weeks because they have so many bikes to build in their queue.
Sounds like the LBS in my area... very few new bikes on the floor, but tons of repair jobs lined up.
Old 10-09-20, 12:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Had a conversation with a guy that runs one of our LBSs about all of this. I expressed that it must mean good times for the business, but he said it was not really. He said they had a good month or two until stock ran out, but since then it has not been so good. They can't get bikes, parts, or other things to sell, and are hoping to get through things by doing repairs. But, repairs don't really pay the bills. The "good problem" was only for a short term and is really a bad problem over the long term.
Precisely. The guy who builds Engin custom frames also owns a LBS. The custom frame business end of things is the only thing keeping the lights on right now for the reasons you mention.
Old 10-09-20, 12:35 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
These are interesting times.
Boreing in under appreciated.
Old 10-09-20, 12:41 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Interesting convo with my LBS last week (also a Trek dealer). Said at this time last year Trek was backordered by a little over 100k bikes. This year its 1.2mm. And that's just Trek. Crazy times.
Old 10-09-20, 01:14 PM
Geno929

Bikes: SPECIALIZED SIRRUS 2016 w/ ZIPP 404's & RAD CITY 5 2020

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Guess we're lucky!

Our LBS, Wheelhouse Cycles, Creve Coeur, MO has a good bike supply and most repairs, Nathan and Sam can, and does fix right then and there! Guess We're Lucky!
Old 10-09-20, 02:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
My local shop - Brands in Wantagh, NY (Long Island) is likely the largest LBS in the region east of NYC. They've been in business for decades. They sold out of near everything this past spring, got very little replacement inventory, sold out of parts for the reasons stated above and have been open about 1/2 the weekly hours of past years. So, NO, I don't think business is doing well. I suspect they are only open 4 days per week with more limited hours in order to keep a select staff on the payroll full time. If I had to guess I'd say they laid off maybe 1/2 of their part time employees. Their repair backlog has been 2 weeks or more for 6 mos. now, not seeing that change this year.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-09-20, 02:59 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31

Interesting, I was reading that the most bike shops make most of their money off of upgrades and repairs. I wish I could remember where I read that, but this will do, https://www.quora.com/Where-do-bicyc...of-their-money
Old 10-09-20, 03:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Not sure if the OP heard but there's a pandemic and it's disrupted factories and the supply chain.

Just be glad you can get toilet paper these days.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-09-20, 04:17 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo
Interesting, I was reading that the most bike shops make most of their money off of upgrades and repairs. I wish I could remember where I read that, but this will do, https://www.quora.com/Where-do-bicyc...of-their-money
Maybe for some, but not the one I had the conversation with. Plus, think of it this way, if I spend an hour with you and you buy a bike that has $300 profit built in then I made $300. If I spent an hour working on your bike and charged you $45 I didn’t quite do as well.

Then there is this. I bought My wife’s bike from a LBS. I bought mine from a shop 200 miles away. Same bike, different sizes, but my size could not be found locally. I had a problem with mine that required me to take it to the LBS for an adjustment. The guy spent 30 minutes on it, and did not charge saying that they offer lifetime free adjustments. No money made on that, but I go back whenever I need things.
Old 10-09-20, 06:49 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
The problems at the LBS will run much deeper than a lack of bikes and parts. As much as they sold out all their inventories, the shortages and backed up service dates have done a LOT to disenfranchise their core customers (you know... the guys that buy a bike every year or two and a few upgrades through the season).

I've stuck with my LBS out of some form of loyalty, but I know a lot of regulars that moved on to either online sites for parts and/or other LBSs with lesser wait times. I don't think my LBS will be as happy IN THE LONG TERM with all the "one and done" sales as they would have been holding onto the folks that drop $4K+/year on stuff
Old 10-09-20, 06:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
It Is not a Trek problem it is industry wide. Though at least with Trek they use stores that do well to prop up failing stores which is poor business generally (if a store is not profitable you need to cut your losses) but it does help keep out independents or they will just buy them up so pretty soon all you have is Trek. So it least they can dominate.

However yes bikes are tough to get and nobody is 100% sure when we are going to see them again. Shops who didn't plan and buy right are really hurting and shops like the one I work for are doing a little margin better but we have committed big dollars for next year so we can get bikes back in which is tough going into a generally slower season and even though COVID is still raging and getting worse people are trying to go back to the idea of "normal" so more people at work and school and things like that so less free time.

At least most people have calmed down a bit and we haven't seen any more fights in the line or crazy people losing it because they have 600 people ahead of them for repairs or that we dare to ask them to wear mask and gloves during a global pandemic where experts said "where a mask and gloves" on our property.
Old 10-09-20, 07:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
If you really value your LBS, it's time to step up. If they have (or can get) anything that you need, and/or you need some repairs that don't require back-ordered parts, then do it. They need the money.
Old 10-09-20, 08:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
My LBS, which deals almost entirely in road bikes, is crammed with bikes, but I suspect most of them are customers' bikes in for service. Talked briefly to the owner, and he said he hadn't had much problem getting bikes for his customers, but he's selling mostly higher end bikes. Occasionally has some problem getting parts.

Generally, he's happy to chat, but while he was still friendly and talkative, he gave off kind of a "Let's not keep this going forever" vibe.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-09-20, 11:15 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I started about this time last year buying parts for all of my families bikes, enough stuff to do a complete rebuild and repairs, bearings, chains even freewheels and cassettes and tires/tubes on all of them and picked up one at a time all of the tools I might need and even a few I probably don't need. I should get a few BBs that is all. I had no advance knowledge of the virus or anything I just like to be ready as I live at least 30 miles from a LBS, out in the country. Glad I did this and I get a certain satisfaction in knowing I can keep a bunch of bikes rolling for quite a while even if this keeps up.

I decided that I wanted a new pair of road shoes so I stopped at a TREK dealer thursday, a rather big one, they had no new bikes at all, only a few consignment bikes and they didn't think they would have any new bikes until next summer. This place will probably survive but unless TREK and some of the others figure out a way to get the pipeline filled I think they will be in for a rough time. I work in a manufacturing environment, not related to bicycles, and while steel and other metals have gone up in price we have keep everyone employed. It is one thing to use cheap labor it is another thing to rely on one particular country for both raw materials and labor.
Old 10-10-20, 04:46 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
The problems at the LBS will run much deeper than a lack of bikes and parts. As much as they sold out all their inventories, the shortages and backed up service dates have done a LOT to disenfranchise their core customers (you know... the guys that buy a bike every year or two and a few upgrades through the season).

I've stuck with my LBS out of some form of loyalty, but I know a lot of regulars that moved on to either online sites for parts and/or other LBSs with lesser wait times. I don't think my LBS will be as happy IN THE LONG TERM with all the "one and done" sales as they would have been holding onto the folks that drop $4K+/year on stuff
Bike shops were not surviving because they had any appreciable number of regulars dropping $4k+ every year
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 10-10-20, 05:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,759 Posts
^^Yep. I have a cordial acquaintance/riding friend who owns a shop. He's always said "nice" bikes are only a small part of his business.
Old 10-10-20, 06:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My local shop - Brands in Wantagh, NY (Long Island) is likely the largest LBS in the region east of NYC. They've been in business for decades. They sold out of near everything this past spring, got very little replacement inventory, sold out of parts for the reasons stated above and have been open about 1/2 the weekly hours of past years. So, NO, I don't think business is doing well. I suspect they are only open 4 days per week with more limited hours in order to keep a select staff on the payroll full time. If I had to guess I'd say they laid off maybe 1/2 of their part time employees. Their repair backlog has been 2 weeks or more for 6 mos. now, not seeing that change this year.
That’s what it’s like in Philly. The shop I mention above is not even open on Saturday’s now. It’s in the second most affluent area of the city and very close to a wildly popular mountain biking area and would normally be busy from the moment the door was unlocked on a Saturday morning. He can’t get parts. The big shop closest to my home that I use the most has cut hours and staff. When I needed a new chain before a tour I had to wait 4 days for an appointment. The mechanic said he would put one aside for me, presumably because he was worried about running out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.