Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ground pitching a hammock - ideas?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ground pitching a hammock - ideas?

Old 10-08-20, 07:47 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
To be honest, I have not personally tested them in sand or frozen ground, only basically, regular soil. Anything really rocky is out of their range. I have seen people post setups on sand using them, but I have no personal experience with that.
Thank you phughes. With their lifetime warranty I could email them.

Hammock Ground Set-up, No Trees, As One Person Tent - Tarp Tent
Another idea I like this bug net setup, facing east overhang with wood branch poles & lovely scenery.

Likes For Mark Hoaglund:
Old 10-08-20, 08:36 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 388 Posts
To the OP. I don't think that you should be using the poles from a dome tent as upright poles to pitch your tarp as a ground shelter if you can't find two trees to hang from. Those tent poles will be too light to hold the tarp up in moderate winds, particularly with your hammock also attached. They are designed to work in an arch with both ends anchored. When pitched in an arch and guyed out they are strong. They are not designed to be used as a straight pole with one end free. Also by using a section in the middle of the pole as the grounded end you risk damaging that section so that it won't join properly next time you use the tent. The ends that connect to the base of the tent/fly will have ferrules in them to prevent the splitting of the tubes.

If you want to take poles to use as straight poles to support the tarp when using the hammock on the ground I'd recommend either collapsible hiking poles or poles from a cheap traditional A-frame tent that have a thicker diameter and can better withstand the bending forces when the tarp is set up, particularly in wind. strap them along your top tube and you'd be good to go.
Old 10-08-20, 08:41 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hoaglund

Hammock Ground Set-up, No Trees, As One Person Tent - Tarp Tent
Another idea I like this bug net setup, facing east overhang with wood branch poles & lovely scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGXOV83DYWo
Nice looking setup. I know people who camp in open hammocks, but I wouldn't want to do it. My hammock is enclosed as well, with netting on top. It is nice on good nights to either not use the tarp, or at least pull it back from one side to have a beautiful view of the sky.
Old 10-08-20, 09:09 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
To the OP. I don't think that you should be using the poles from a dome tent as upright poles to pitch your tarp as a ground shelter if you can't find two trees to hang from. Those tent poles will be too light to hold the tarp up in moderate winds, particularly with your hammock also attached. They are designed to work in an arch with both ends anchored. When pitched in an arch and guyed out they are strong. They are not designed to be used as a straight pole with one end free. Also by using a section in the middle of the pole as the grounded end you risk damaging that section so that it won't join properly next time you use the tent. The ends that connect to the base of the tent/fly will have ferrules in them to prevent the splitting of the tubes.

If you want to take poles to use as straight poles to support the tarp when using the hammock on the ground I'd recommend either collapsible hiking poles or poles from a cheap traditional A-frame tent that have a thicker diameter and can better withstand the bending forces when the tarp is set up, particularly in wind. strap them along your top tube and you'd be good to go.
That is a good point. I do have trekking poles. Reason for the tent poles is they are more compact and lighter than the trekking poles.

I am not sure ground pitching the hammock is going to end up being used this trip though - looks like the tent is going also, as much as I was hoping to do without it.
Old 10-08-20, 09:41 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Good points phughes and I'd like collapsible hiking poles or drift wood along a beach or passing woodlot and fashion them using my collapsible camp handsaw & knife.

I read in the discussion earlier and wondered if trade-offs like this one kg pop up camo 2 person tent with its own lightweight backpack carry bag was of interest to anyone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324199272330

I was reading polyester cord doesn't stretch much or any other suggestions? I'd like to replace metal cable for my setup. I questioned google, Does paracord stretch? Yes 30%.
Likes For Mark Hoaglund:
Old 10-09-20, 01:48 AM
Mark Hoaglund

I like his off the ground driftwood setup and serene settings with KennethKramm –

Ultralight Hammock Camping at Matagorda Beach, TX, USA

Old 10-09-20, 11:47 AM
phughes

Good points phughes and I'd like collapsible hiking poles or drift wood along a beach or passing woodlot and fashion them using my collapsible camp handsaw & knife.

I read in the discussion earlier and wondered if trade-offs like this one kg pop up camo 2 person tent with its own lightweight backpack carry bag was of interest to anyone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324199272330

I was reading polyester cord doesn't stretch much or any other suggestions? I'd like to replace metal cable for my setup. I questioned google, Does paracord stretch? Yes 30%.
The only thing I would use that tent for, is maybe, and I stress maybe, in the backyard for the kids. Maybe.
Old 10-09-20, 08:04 PM
Mark Hoaglund

phughes, I'm not as fussy as most and bought my tent from someone else for solo cooler Spring & Fall seasons over a year ago to blend in. Use to bicycle trailer a low priced 18 foot diameter, 25 lb, Guide Gear Teepee. Had a Tarptent, Eureka Timberline scout tent and others years ago. Its fun like cycles and most else is history except my hammock.
Old 10-10-20, 11:13 AM
phughes

phughes, I'm not as fussy as most and bought my tent from someone else for solo cooler Spring & Fall seasons over a year ago to blend in. Use to bicycle trailer a low priced 18 foot diameter, 25 lb, Guide Gear Teepee. Had a Tarptent, Eureka Timberline scout tent and others years ago. Its fun like cycles and most else is history except my hammock.
I am just commenting on its quality. I can't see it holding up to any real use. Maybe a night or two here and there, but I wouldn't trust it on a bike tour. You can get inexpensive tents, but there is a difference between inexpensive and cheap. I have a Coleman three person tent that didn't cost me much, but, it is made well, and has been used a lot, and in heavy downpours, with no leaks or issues. It is the one I mentioned my wife bringing for me on my last tour. I have had that tent for 12 years now, and it is still in great shape. We just used it over the Summer. I probably paid less than $50 for it back then. It has held up very well, but with the lower cost comes weight. It weighs eleven pounds, but, it is sturdy, sets up quickly and easily, and doesn't leak, at all, in fact, the bottom of the tent is made out of a heavy tarp like material that is completely waterproof and tough. Once again, weight. I would rather carry it, and its weight, on a bike, than a lightweight, cheap tent. You can get very sturdy lightweight tent, but the one you posted a link to is not one of those. That one is basically a toy.
Old 10-10-20, 02:21 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

It has held up very well, but with the lower cost comes weight. It weighs eleven pounds, but, it is sturdy, sets up quickly and easily, and doesn't leak, at all, in fact, the bottom of the tent is made out of a heavy tarp like material that is completely waterproof and tough. Once again, weight. I would rather carry it, and its weight, on a bike, than a lightweight, cheap tent.
Well said. I still need to weigh my dome tent. I want to say it is under 9 lbs. It seems to me it was always 8lbs and change. However, I added a trash bag ground cover (big trash bags and duct tape cut to the foot print of the tent) last year so I'm sure the weight is a bit more. Weight includes all parts and stakes.

The sturdy'ness of it is definitely a bonus. Back in the day I did some research in to tents. The one I have is a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2. I had a small A frame "2 person tent" that is more like "2 kids tent", if that. It went on 1 backpacking trip and that was that. I have used it camping in other scenarios besides backpacking, but for backpacking duty it wasn't well suited. Thats where the hammerhead came in. I wanted more space than a 1 person tent. At the time I had a friend of mine that had a 4 season mountaineering grade tent. So I knew what a real robust tent was. However, I was trying to cover the most bases with 1 tent. Thats when I came on to the Hammerhead. It is technically a "3 season tent". However, it has paneling that zips in to cover up ALL of the mesh - turning it in to a true double wall design, not just "less mesh". Of course, with the 2 materials and the zippers the weight inevitably goes up - but when you consider the robust'ness of the tent and the flexibility with how ever much mesh you want exposed - I don't think you can beat the versatility even today. Yea, there are much lighter tents out there - but not as versatile. Find me a true 100% double wall tent that opens up to 50% or more mesh...
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 10-11-20, 10:05 PM
KC8QVO

Looks like the complete tent comes in at 8.2lbs. So that is lighter than I figured. I am not sure on the accuracy of the scale, but I took several readings to see if I got a mix and did not - it was always 8.2lbs.
Old 10-12-20, 01:06 AM
Mark Hoaglund

That's interesting. Is there ideally lightweight, recyclable, biodegradable, mildew rot resistant, waterproof, breathable, organic cotton canvas now days? Since the 1970s I've used polyethylene between the dirt, sand, grass and my man made fabric tents. Its been a long time since I had a cotton canvas tent.
Old 10-12-20, 03:48 AM
Mark Hoaglund

I was looking at the specs below & your thoughts above and it would be nice to think about but no mention of cotton canvas. Is that make it lighter?

Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 Tent
https://www.rei.com/product/717779
Old 10-12-20, 04:17 AM
Mark Hoaglund

It appears to my astonishment most if not all of those cotton qualities are possible now days but what about affordable tents, sleeping bags, caps and clothing for cycle touring? Count me in with a little bit of luck.
Old 10-14-20, 02:16 AM
Mark Hoaglund

I'm not opposed to hammocks, tarps, tents & clothing made of cotton's organic alternatives such as organic hemp or a blend to cuddle up in. Any pros & cons to share from real life experiences before or after cycle touring with today's organic sustainable natural fabrics?

Once my petrochemical fabrics wear out I'd prefer to seek sustainable organic alternatives while renewable eCycle tour camping. Since I too would like to do my part with a carbon-neutral footprint for today's future generations.
Old 10-14-20, 09:19 AM
KC8QVO

Mark - the only canvas-type material I am aware of for tents is the hunting/wall tent type - which is asininely heavy and not suited at all to travel by human power (cycling, backpacking).

Other than that, its all silnyon, cuben fiber, dyneema fiber, and other variants of synthetic materials.
Old 10-14-20, 09:43 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I often considered using a hammock tent but when I compared the weight of it to a cheap nylon pup tent the difference wasn't that much. iirc, this pup tent with poles and all weighs only 4.5 pounds.

Cheers
Old 10-14-20, 01:02 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I often considered using a hammock tent but when I compared the weight of it to a cheap nylon pup tent the difference wasn't that much. iirc, this pup tent with poles and all weighs only 4.5 pounds.

Cheers
So 2 pounds heavier, and not as comfortable. Nice little pup tent. Does it have a rain fly? I have the REI Passage 1 tent. I will use it when I know I will have problems hanging the hammock, due to campground policies mainly. I may even take both at times, since the hammock is so lightweight.
Old 10-14-20, 02:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
So 2 pounds heavier, and not as comfortable. Nice little pup tent. Does it have a rain fly? I have the REI Passage 1 tent. I will use it when I know I will have problems hanging the hammock, due to campground policies mainly. I may even take both at times, since the hammock is so lightweight.
I use a rainfly from a bigger tent when needed as it covers more and protudes past the entrance and can be used as a vestibule. I like comfort when camping and on a rainy day I can sit and read in the tent.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-14-20, 02:38 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I use a rainfly from a bigger tent when needed as it covers more and protudes past the entrance and can be used as a vestibule. I like comfort when camping and on a rainy day I can sit and read in the tent.

Cheers
I like comfort too. I can lie under the hammock in the rain, sit under it and watch the world go by, or even fix coffee, or lie inside as well. I have a huge rain tarp over the hammock. I liked the three man tent for killing time in the tent though. Tons of room. Really nice. Don't care for the weight though.

For rainy nights, the hammock is great, I have never gotten wet in it, and I can tear it down, and pack all my gear under the tarp very easily. The hammock stays dry and is packed away, the tarp is the last bit of gear to be taken down and packed. I love that. I can take the 3 person tent down first and sort of pack it before the rainfly, but not the gear. That is a nice advantage of the hammock set up. Both systems have plusses and minuses.

I have yet to use the one person Passage 1 on a real trip. I'm looking forward to trying it out. It is a nice sized one person tent. I do like a 2 person tent for one person, but wanted something small. This one is a nice compromise since it has a bit more space than most one person tents.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-14-20, 02:51 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
If bugs aren't a problem, there's no reason one couldn't pitch their hammocks rainfly without the hammock. If the hammocker brought a sleeping pad rather than a under quilt, it wouldn't be much extra to bring a small ground cloth and some collapsible poles.
Old 10-14-20, 02:58 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I actually did my first bike-hammock trip last week. I chose my route partially based on the likelihood of finding unguarded patches of mature trees. Rural Northern Ontario, Canada might not be a representative example of everybody's campsite options, though - People are probably outnumbered by moose 5:1

If I had to resort to kludging a 'treeless' hammock rig, I don't see the value at all of trying to suspend the actual hammock - a ridgeline for the tarp and somehow connect the bug net to it, and sleep 'in' the hammock on the ground. I say this because the OP's pictures of their hammock suspended between tent poles does not look robust enough to hold a person's weight. Maybe I am missing something? Other pictures ITT show stouter poles or thick branches being used, but tent poles doesn't sound like a good option.
Old 10-14-20, 04:06 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I actually did my first bike-hammock trip last week. I chose my route partially based on the likelihood of finding unguarded patches of mature trees. Rural Northern Ontario, Canada might not be a representative example of everybody's campsite options, though - People are probably outnumbered by moose 5:1

If I had to resort to kludging a 'treeless' hammock rig, I don't see the value at all of trying to suspend the actual hammock - a ridgeline for the tarp and somehow connect the bug net to it, and sleep 'in' the hammock on the ground. I say this because the OP's pictures of their hammock suspended between tent poles does not look robust enough to hold a person's weight. Maybe I am missing something? Other pictures ITT show stouter poles or thick branches being used, but tent poles doesn't sound like a good option.
The OP has the hammock on the ground. The purpose of the hammock is the mosquito netting to keep out the bugs.
(How'd your trip go?)
Old 10-14-20, 08:14 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Originally Posted by mtnbud
The OP has the hammock on the ground. The purpose of the hammock is the mosquito netting to keep out the bugs.
You are correct. That was exactly the idea - sleep on the ground, but have the fly/tarp set up for weather protection. So the poles would only be used to support the tarp pitch and bug netting - with the "2nd ridgeline" (pics with the paper clip).

Originally Posted by mtnbud
(How'd your trip go?)
Haven't left yet. Soon. I am ironing out a few things gear/supplies-wise. I did a shake-down ride yesterday and did more shaking down at the house than I anticipated - gear loading and balance namely. I have a slight tweak to the loading to work on, and will scrutinize what I take a bit more (and shift what bag things go in - back to weight distribution).

I got all the cables changed on my bike today (shifters, brakes). Got a new tail light (old one was dropped and cracked - lost the cracked piece and the rubber button strip on the shake down ride = time to replace) and a mirror today also. So that is all squared away.
Old 10-16-20, 02:21 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Orange Screw emailed suggesting,
longer screws for sand,
shorter screws for frozen ground,
and they don't work in ice.
Likes For Mark Hoaglund:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.