Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stem Height and Aging

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Which riding position best describes your current riding position?
Position 5 - Leisure
9.43%
Position 4 - Fitness
31.13%
Position 3 - Performance
38.68%
Position 2 - Agressive
22.64%
Position 1 - Aerodynamic
9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Stem Height and Aging

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 10:00 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I saw this article in the Track Racing sub a while back, and took the advice to heart about not stretching or twisting the back. Here is a quote:

Too much spine flexibility will cause low back injury. Science has proven this. In symptomatic and asymptomatic workers, the differences between the two groups were things other than spine flexibility and low back strength. Although beyond the scope of this article, the differences between the two groups were faulty movement patterns, aberrant motor patterns, and core muscular endurance (not strength). Again interestingly enough, by correcting faulty movement/motor patterns, training core endurance, and training the spine in the neutral position, pain-free spine range of motion usually returns. Again, don’t train to the test!

As the spine extends (or bends backwards) the facet joints are loaded, and the interspinous ligament is compressed, both at risk for injury. Perhaps the biggest issue with spine extension is the bending of the neural arch loading the pars interarticularis. The neural arch is slightly flexible and analogous to a paper clip. It will bend back and forth several times before it breaks, but it will break. Not surprisingly, repetitive spine flexion/extension cycles causing bending of the neural arch will result in fatigue fractures, leading to spondylolisthesis- a fracture of the pars interarticularis where one vertebra actually slides forward on another due to the loss of anterior shear support
https://spinehealth.org/breaking-dow...wn-your-spine/

It's an eye-opening article, extensively footnoted, which essentially says that everything we thought we knew about exercises and stretches that twist and or flex the back excessively, are completely wrong and actually destructive. They break down connective tissues meant to stabilize the back, and make injury more likely.

Over the past six months or so, I have completely stopped all stretching of the back. And the results have been excellent. I would suggest at least reading the article, it's very long, but also very comprehensive.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 10-25-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-25-20, 12:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I saw this article in the Track Racing sub a while back, and took the advice to heart about not stretching or twisting the back. Here is a quote:

https://spinehealth.org/breaking-dow...wn-your-spine/

It's an eye-opening article, extensively footnoted, which essentially says that everything we thought we knew about exercises and stretches that twist and or flex the back excessively, are completely wrong and actually destructive. They break down connective tissues meant to stabilize the back, and make injury more likely.

Over the past six months or so, I have completely stopped all stretching of the back. And the results have been excellent. I would suggest at least reading the article, it's very long, but also very comprehensive.
OTOH, not stretching and with a saddle sore keeping me off the bike, I came down with sciatica so bad I was dragging one leg. I fixed that with stretching and walking. No medical intervention was found necessary since I was fixing it myself. I used my standard stretching routine: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967
and then did McKenzie Method stretches: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967
I did this McKenzie series:

In terms of spine rotation, I also used these stretches: https://www.healthline.com/health/ba...atic-stretches
while I had sciatica and they also had a very beneficial effect and sped up the healing process. I don't do them anymore simply because they take time and I feel OK.

It took a month or so, but this routine fixed me right up. I've also had knee tendinitis issues from not stretching. Again, my stretches fixed me right up inside a week.

I think you might revise your point to say "overstretching" rather than stretching. The former is a good point. I once pulled a hamstring overstretching, which took a long time to heal. And it is true that overstretchng can cause sports injuries by allowing the joint to take a big load outside its normal range with bad consequences. That said, the opinions in your link are not generally supported by the medical community, nor by my experience and the experience of my cycling buddies.

IMO, the way one avoids joint and spine injuries is to strengthen the muscles surrounding joints and the spine. This helps hold them in alignment. One key to injury prevention is holding things in alignment. Another key is to keep one's muscles and tendons sufficiently flexible so that normal sports movements do not take them to the limit of said flexibility. It's easy to go over a little in normal activity as well as in crashes, falls, and mistakes. I once had to finish a long cycling route by pedaling one-legged because of a lack of stretching my knee tendons. Luckily I only had a few miles to go.
Old 10-25-20, 12:56 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Those are fine, I don't see any twisting or forcing the back in any position beyond the normal range of motion. Except #6 , and I notice 1.) it's saved for last, and 2.) it's not anything too far out of the back's normal range and is not really forced.

Compare, if the person was standing, and asked to do a very deep hamstring stretch, that's where you start tearing stuff, IMO. The article mainly focuses on the harms of various twisting exercises, but it's very scholarly and well-written, and I would dare anyone to find anything in the article (as opposed to my clumsy summary) that is terribly debatable or unorthodox.
Old 11-03-20, 06:36 AM
wjjones
Slowpoke

Bikes: Shinola Detroit Arrow; Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I’m 68 with neck and back problems and I ride at a “4” all the time. These days I’m not riding for speed or endurance; my rides are leisurely and seldom more than 12 miles or 12 MPH. However, I find that I enjoy riding more than ever!
Old 06-08-21, 10:00 PM
mwrider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 64. I stretch more than doing specific core exercises. Although, I had an issue with sciatica and got physical therapy twice per week 9 months ago. They focused on core exerciss. I did those exercises at home for about 3 months. Now, I just do a couple of yoga stretches. I have aero bars so I'm in that position a lot. Then Posture 2. When I'm tired and on the way home, I'll be in Posture 3.
Old 06-08-21, 10:56 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
2 or 3 most of the time, I can’t tell which it is.

1 when I do the forearm on the bars position, usually into the wind.

62.5 years now, position hasn’t changed in 20 years.

Bar drop is 6 cm.

2006 Heartbreak Hundred

Old 06-09-21, 07:31 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I'm 64 and in reasonably good health. I could still ride in position 2 if I choose to, But have only one bike and opted for a comfort bike, Position 5. Bolt upright. I had a cheap mountain bike that was awful. I ride mostly for pleasure and excersize. I love this Giant Sedona and can ride it for hours without fatigue or discomfort. I usually get bored before I get uncomfortable.

That said, I wouldn't mind a 2'nd more aggressive bike to try out. Might try a local used bike, perhaps a road bike. Problem is I probably need a small frame for enough standover height with my 28" inseam. I even considered a low entry/woman's style bike. With a rear trunk bag that high top bar makes getting on and off pain. Even without the rear carrier and bag, It's still not easy for me to get on the bike over the seat.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-10-21 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-09-21, 08:24 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
2 or 3 most of the time, I can’t tell which it is.

1 when I do the forearm on the bars position, usually into the wind.

62.5 years now, position hasn’t changed in 20 years.

Bar drop is 6 cm.

2006 Heartbreak Hundred
One of my favorite routes. I lived up there for 4 years and did the loop solo once on a cool day with light rain. Our club still does it unsupported once a year but i haven't in a few years. I also did it when supported by the L.A. Wheelmen as far back as 1990. Here is a pic from around the same time as yours.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-09-21, 09:57 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
65 y.o. Position 2 on road bike. Position 3 on gravel bike. Position 4 on hybrid ebike. Do yoga in cold weather. Too much else to do in warmer weather. Cycling is a blessing as you age. Good for mind and body.