Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What have you stocked up on through COVID19?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What have you stocked up on through COVID19?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 02:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Why would your mind go to a cassette? Surely the better option would be a length of cush bar tape, and a gentle flossing motion?

A slickwax bidet has the potential benefit of cleaning, prepping, & lubricating.
Old 10-26-20, 02:22 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
For us it's been bourbon, rye, rum and vodka.
So did a friend of mine. DTs are nothing to be trifled with.
Old 10-26-20, 02:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Why would your mind go to a cassette? Surely the better option would be a length of cush bar tape, and a gentle flossing motion?

I don't recommend Gatorskins.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-20, 03:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Groceries shortages are still a mystery here. Today the store was low on regular salted butter. Plenty of unsalted but I had to buy a boutique brand of the salted. 50 cents more for the pound!! Wonder if some sort of national bake-a-thon is going on?
Old 10-26-20, 03:30 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Groceries shortages are still a mystery here. Today the store was low on regular salted butter. Plenty of unsalted but I had to buy a boutique brand of the salted. 50 cents more for the pound!! Wonder if some sort of national bake-a-thon is going on?
could be a secret coercer to move people to buying certain things, coach others to change there ways of making things from curbing the availability of other products.
Old 10-26-20, 03:40 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
So did a friend of mine. DTs are nothing to be trifled with.
It's for pain relief after a long ride. Therapeutic.
Old 10-26-20, 03:43 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I kind of wish I'd bought a few more GP5000's when they were cheap but other than tires, I am not having a hard time finding anything at reasonable prices.
Old 10-26-20, 04:37 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Ohhhhh, I forgot. My mother-in-law horded 100 rolls of toilet paper. I bored friend of mine said, that was enough for 15 years. Don't know where his math came from.
Old 10-26-20, 04:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I have spares of stuff but nothing exceptional bought during the pandemic especially not for bikes. I don't really hoard anything specific but I do hold onto bike parts and it is quite handy sometimes. Mostly the stuff I have bought during the pandemic has been used on a bike and in some cases I will take a back up or two for consumables but I don't go crazy and especially now I haven't been buying a ton of stuff. There have been some things I have wanted to get but are generally sold out like some XT Disc pads and Shimano mineral oil but nothing else that exciting.

The whole toilet paper thing was really dumb. If you need alternatives, you can get a spray bottle, wash off in the shower, get a bidet (or bidet attachment), use a wipe, use some washcloths (or old t-shirts or something like that)...
Old 10-26-20, 04:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gotta have the basics covered first.
Old 10-26-20, 05:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I've been saving up a huge supply of air for my bicycle pump to use.
I didn't think of that. The "hot air" supply in particular is likely to plummet after the election.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-26-20, 06:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by GlennR
Gotta have the basics covered first.
We were in crisis mode when the local stores ran out of Charmin, and we had to buy the other stuff.
Old 10-26-20, 06:19 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Mojo31
We were in crisis mode when the local stores ran out of Charmin, and we had to buy the other stuff.
thats crappy.
Old 10-26-20, 06:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

Yeah, it stunk.
Old 10-26-20, 07:07 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I have plenty of tires, tubes, chains etc. to get by for long time.

But I have started stocking up more on normal day to day items at the store. Not so much because of shortages although there are some items I occasionally see out of stock. But since we are in the third wave of the pandemic I try to limit my trips to the store or anywhere else as much as possible. So even though I might not need an item immediately I'll grab a few anyway so I don't run out and have to make extra outings.
Old 10-26-20, 09:00 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Lots of popcorn for the election coming next week
Likes For frogman:
Old 10-26-20, 09:38 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have put a lot of consumables and a few hard parts and bike specific tools in the bunker but not because of the shortages, rather because I'm an individual that like to lay in a store for a rainy day. Plus it is inconvenient to run off to an LBS the nearest is about 25 miles.

I do this with other hobbies of mine and we always have quite a bit of canned goods and two freezers full of stuff. A backup generator for power interruptions so I expect to consume all of it.
Old 10-27-20, 12:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've avoided hoarding, mostly just stocking up as needed on what I'd realistically use within a year or so: tubes, chains, tires.

If necessary I can semi-retire worn tires and chains by handing them down to my least-used bikes. I have a closet full of worn but still usable tires. And I always patch tubes, even for my road bikes.

The closest I've come to hoarding was buying a few Shimano BB-UN55 bottom brackets and a couple of 9-speed chains from REI when the priced dropped to $8 this summer. I figured they were blowing them out as discontinued items. But I didn't buy up everything off the shelf, just three of the BBs and a couple of chains. I left several and those were gone within a week or two.

The supply chain was disrupted in some manufacturing and shipping, and some shortages may continue, but I'm not seeing a drastic shortage of components and parts. There does seem to be a shortage of complete bicycles.

I never ran out of anything during the first few months of the pandemic. I worked in health care so I already had a box of surgical masks, hand sanitizer, etc. And I got into the habit of buying toilet paper in bulk, taking care of my grandparents and mom as their health declined. They used *a lot* of TP, and not in the bathroom. They used it as napkins, nose wipes, etc. My mom could go through a roll of TP every day. With her dementia it wasn't important enough to fuss over so I just let her use as much as she wanted and bought plenty in advance. Even after she died, I'd still buy a bulk pack that would last me 6-12 months (or one month for her).

I read dire predictions about food prices, especially beef, but locally I haven't seen any evidence of inflation. Beef is pretty pricey, especially steak, but I noticed that by shopping late at night I'd find decent quality steaks discounted 50% or more, so I would buy several of those at a time and dry or wet age them in the fridge. Usually salt and season them, dry age them for a week, then put 'em in ziplock bags for another week to a full month. Worked great. (I wouldn't do that with pork, chicken, hamburger, fish, or pretty much anything other than steak or game meat such as rabbits, etc.)
Old 10-27-20, 12:30 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I bought enough chains and cassettes to last me a decently long while (or so I thought before Covid commuting started chewing stuff up) before the international ban on buying Shimano from Chain Reaction Cycles. I have some Sunrace cassettes too, that will help form an ad hoc drivetrain after all the Shimano consumables are gone.
Old 10-27-20, 04:18 AM
FTB
Luke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The closest I've come to hoarding was buying a few Shimano BB-UN55 bottom brackets
So it was you that snatched up the last of em
RIP un55
Likes For FTB:
Old 10-27-20, 05:19 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
This thread has inspired me to order two (2) 7 speed freewheels for my classic steel bikes to stock the bunker. I wanted to get one but two seems better. A few weeks ago I ordered a 2 pack of flashing red rear facing LED lights from Amazon, $12.00 for the two. They are inexpensive and not robust in construction but they work fine. Ordered another 2 pack just to have on hand. Also several sets of chainring bolts. I want to put a few sets of BBs in the storeroom in the near future. In very good shape with respect to bulk brake and shifter cables, spare drive train parts, misc fastners and assorted bric-a-brac. On my "wish list" is a commercial quality ultrasonic cleaner. But I would be doing this regardless of the world wide health crisis, the impending social meltdown and the disruptions in the supply chain.
Old 10-27-20, 06:01 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
In my area there are 5 local bikes shops and at one point all were out of most common tube and tire sizes (like 26 X 1.95). Also, most were out of 7 speed freewheels, brake pads and saddles. Forget about 7-8 speed derailleurs, especially Shimano brand stuff.
Old 10-27-20, 07:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Other than chain lube, I’ve learned not to buy “extras” of anything bike-related. Way to many times I have ended up getting stuck with stuff I end up not needing: chains, cassettes, chainrings. brake pads, tubes, grips, helmet pads....
Old 10-27-20, 04:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by FTB
So it was you that snatched up the last of em
RIP un55
Well, I did leave about half a dozen on the peg board at REI. Someone else grabbed the rest.

I'm betting a next-tier manufacturer like SunRace or one of the many anonymous China based makers will pick up the design, licensed or unlicensed, and continue providing an equivalent to the BB UN55. Heck, SunRace might make it even better than Shimano did. The better chromed SunRace freewheels and cassettes are really good, much better tooth shapes for crisp shifting and smooth running. Most of my Suntour and Shimano freewheels and cassettes are in boxes, in case the SunRace equivalents wear out or break.
Old 10-27-20, 09:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Winter’s coming. Cities are hoarding salt for their roads. People will have to live without salt in their butter.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.