Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Budget (but good?) Bib Shorts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Budget (but good?) Bib Shorts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 01:10 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I got my first pair of The Black Bibs recently (plus model), they're great, another vote for them. I'm pretty tall (6'3", ~180 lbs) and went for the large in a non-tall version, it fits just fine. Only downside for me is that the leg grippers aren't as wide as I'd like. I don't really buy into the idea that some bibs are good for 4 hours, some for 8, etc. To me, if bibs work for 30 minutes, they're also going to work for 4 hours. They only "fail" if they immediately cause chaffing or soreness.
Old 11-07-20, 11:11 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have a pair of Black Bibs. The pad seems a bit large. I also bought a pair of "sample" bibs from Voler for $30. They send out samples to clubs/orgs for sizing. They were like new and they were the high end model. The pad was very comfortable and the fit is nice. The legs are longer than the Black Bigs, which I preferred. I quickly ordered two more pair of bibs and a "sample" jersey for $30 as well. I've previous purchased a couple of jerseys from Voler and have been happy with everything I've ordered from them.
Old 11-08-20, 07:54 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I got my first pair of The Black Bibs recently (plus model), they're great, another vote for them. I'm pretty tall (6'3", ~180 lbs) and went for the large in a non-tall version, it fits just fine. Only downside for me is that the leg grippers aren't as wide as I'd like. I don't really buy into the idea that some bibs are good for 4 hours, some for 8, etc. To me, if bibs work for 30 minutes, they're also going to work for 4 hours. They only "fail" if they immediately cause chaffing or soreness.

I wear a non-tall Large at well, you are taller than me, and I weigh 9 pounds more than you. I also run quite a bit, and do other exercising, I've got pretty big legs and find the Black Bigs are tighter in that regard than, say, a large in the Aerotech shorts, or even the Amazon Sponeed shorts. Not enough to really care, though.

I absolutely find some are good for shorter rides. The Sponeed shorts from Amazon are great for 0-20 mile rides IMO, and the "shorts" format is convenient for getting around town (ie if you stop to pee somewhere). However, the pad is junk, and even with a properly fitting saddle, I definitely get discomfort after a while. The Aerotech shorts are more comfortable still, but nothing touches the Black Bibs for me out of everything I'd tried so far. 2 hours straight, not stopping for a single minute, no problem.
Old 11-08-20, 11:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
OK, have to know. I have cycled for 30 years in cycling shorts. Other than the pros using bibs, what is the real advantage over shorts? I have never had my shorts creep down or not fit right, so what’s the deal.

Old 11-09-20, 12:14 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
OK, have to know. I have cycled for 30 years in cycling shorts. Other than the pros using bibs, what is the real advantage over shorts? I have never had my shorts creep down or not fit right, so what’s the deal.
Try 'em. You might like 'em, you might not.
Old 11-09-20, 12:39 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts

I kept hearing "bibs are better", over and over, from people who ride a lot, or used to ride a lot.

Then I tried bibs, as detailed in this thread.

And, as I stated before, I found the chamois seems to stay put better, tighter against the body.

I have no issues with shorts moving around. It's the chamois inside the shorts that moves.

I don't have these issues with bibs.

For me, it's a minor annoyance that, over hours, contributes to comfort on the saddle. I can certainly ride 40-50 miles in my Aerotech shorts. However, it's going to be a bit more comfortable in my bibs.

You've never adjusted to get back on your sit bones, or gotten out of the saddle for a hill or a sprint, only to find with shorts that the chamois isn't exactly where it should be? I have. Bibs seem to alleviate this, IMO.

What's funny is that I resisted bibs because nobody could tell me exactly *why* I should try them. Just "they're better". Okay, how? "They're better." Great, thanks.

But, there you go, that's why I prefer them.
Old 11-09-20, 08:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I couldnt care what the pros use- their saddle to bar drop is probably twice mine.
I like bibs because they stay put. Shorts roll down a bit every so often while riding due to changing position(hoods to drops, sitting to standing, etc) and i never have to tug/adjust my bibs.

If I were a woman, shorts could work well since they stay better.
Old 11-09-20, 09:07 AM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I really like bibs too and was leaving my non-bib shorts in the drawer. I'd seen someone here on BF mention that they don't buy bibs, they just use suspenders. So, I bought a set of cheap suspenders and, sure enough, they make the shorts much nicer. I'm very short waisted so I'd have the shorts hiked up and the waistband would just drift or roll down. With the suspenders they stay put just like the bibs. The suspenders were a whopping $11.
Old 11-09-20, 09:08 AM
Ymerej
FIXED GEAR

Bikes: 2019 tarmac pro disc 2020 allez sprint track

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Voler makes good stuff
its a bit of trial and error finding what works for you.

I tend to stick with voler and PI
Old 11-09-20, 09:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Thanks guys. Have to try them then with so many ringing endorsements. I do have some suspenders for my ski pants I will experiment with just to see. Much appreciated.

Old 11-09-20, 12:48 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Thanks guys. Have to try them then with so many ringing endorsements. I do have some suspenders for my ski pants I will experiment with just to see. Much appreciated.
Suspenders are kind of like the "ghetto tubeless" or mechanical disc brakes of the shorts world.
Old 11-09-20, 08:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Suspenders are kind of like the "ghetto tubeless" or mechanical disc brakes of the shorts world.
Thanks for trying to save me from myself I was going to try them as an experiment only, while embracing my ghetto self. Did you know I am black? Just messing with you.

Old 11-11-20, 10:13 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Another thing about bibs is that, depending on the cut, they tend to have a bit more material covering you on your hips/back/crotch so you don't get that awkward skin peeking out when you get off the bike and your jersey is a little bunched up above the waistline of your shorts. Sure, that's a vanity thing, but they also just feel better to wear overall and the cost is usually, what, $15-20 more per pair than equivalent shorts? Worth it. No real downsides at all.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 04-06-21, 07:52 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I bought a pair of the $80 Black Bibs Ultimate as a low cost test. I really like these. The fit is really well sorted with good "support" (something too many shorts get wrong). I don't get chafed in these on longer rides. They seem to be wearing well. I don't think they're quite as good as my current favorites Assos Equipe RS and Rapha Pro Team, they don't have any compression, the pad is very bulky, the straps aren't quite as good... but they're less than a third the price of those options. If you need some good, no frills bibs, look no further.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 04-08-21, 07:41 AM
LarRig

Bikes: Musseuw MFC 01,'93 Mongoose Rockadile,'14 CAAD 10, '81 Panasonic DX4000, '91 PDG 90, Raleigh Retro Cruiser

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The brand Cerotipolar on Amazon are identical in every way to The Black Bibs and I'm guessing are the manufacturers of The Black Bibs, just sold at a lower price.
Likes For LarRig:
Old 04-08-21, 08:17 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I ordered a pair of black bibs and completely disagree with the opinions here. They seemed a little cheaply made and not to be crass, but make it impossible hide your junk from view.

YMMV
Old 04-08-21, 08:28 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by LarRig
The brand Cerotipolar on Amazon are identical in every way to The Black Bibs and I'm guessing are the manufacturers of The Black Bibs, just sold at a lower price.
Do you have pairs of each to compare side by side? Very interesting. I may order a pair (of the Cerotipolar) and check them out. I prefer the short inseam black bibs, but I don’t see that option with Cerotipolar.
Old 04-08-21, 08:43 AM
LarRig

Bikes: Musseuw MFC 01,'93 Mongoose Rockadile,'14 CAAD 10, '81 Panasonic DX4000, '91 PDG 90, Raleigh Retro Cruiser

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I have both. The Cerotipolar "Sports Plus Level" are identical to the Black Bibs Plus, including the tag.
Likes For LarRig:
Old 04-08-21, 09:26 AM
sarhog

Originally Posted by LarRig
Yes, I have both. The Cerotipolar "Sports Plus Level" are identical to the Black Bibs Plus, including the tag.
Thanks for that info. I just ordered a pair of the Cerotipolar “Pro” bibs. They get here tomorrow night.

Last edited by sarhog; 04-08-21 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 08:02 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I ordered a pair of black bibs and completely disagree with the opinions here. They seemed a little cheaply made and not to be crass, but make it impossible hide your junk from view.

YMMV
The Black Bibs sells several versions of these bibs. My comments are related to the Black Bibs Ultimate, which are the $80 version sold by the brand. The fabric on that model appears to be different that the other models. Regardless, I don't have this problem.
Old 04-09-21, 11:15 AM
sarhog

Just received a pair of Cerotipolar summer mesh bibs from Amazon today. These are the “Ace racing level” (their highest of 3 levels). I think that gets you a “better” lime green chamois and mesh material for better cooling.
With a nod to LarRig , the leg grippers are identical to my Black Bibs plus. I’ll wear them in the coming days and report back for those that are interested.
They were $57.

Cerotipolar on the left, Black Bibs plus on the right.

Leg grippers on each pair. “Identical! You can see what the mesh material looks like on the pair on the left. (The pair on the right are Black Bibs plus.)

Last edited by sarhog; 04-09-21 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 03:44 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
Just received a pair of Cerotipolar summer mesh bibs from Amazon today. These are the “Ace racing level” (their highest of 3 levels). I think that gets you a “better” lime green chamois and mesh material for better cooling.
With a nod to LarRig , the leg grippers are identical to my Black Bibs plus. I’ll wear them in the coming days and report back for those that are interested.
They were $57.

Cerotipolar on the left, Black Bibs plus on the right.
Leg grippers on each pair. “Identical! You can see what the mesh material looks like on the pair on the left. (The pair on the right are Black Bibs plus.)
I'm certainly interested in your review.

I own seven pairs of Black Bibs. Five original and as of late last year, two Plus versions with the addition of the gray and dark blue bibs. I absolutely love the $40 bibs, but something is off with the pads on the Plus bibs. I thought the pads were the same between the two models. All seven pair are size medium, but the Plus pads fit weird, feel larger, bulge in weird places. Maybe they weren't sewn into the bibs correctly. I thought maybe they would soften up and shape with time but that hasn't happened as of yet. While I really like the color, and the addition of the leg grippers (although I've never felt they were needed), the pads are ruining the Plus bibs for me in a big way.