Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Road bike as a commuter bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-08-20, 01:37 PM
sodsbodkings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Is it possible to ride a road bike as a regular bike? Like, lower down that super high seat, swap out the dropped handlebars for flat handlebars (or raise the dropped handlebars higher), and ride it in a more upright comfortable position?
I ask because I want a lightweight bicycle for commuting and groceries, and all of the lightweight bicycles seem to be road bikes built for intense people hunched over in lycra.
Can you recommend any flat/butterfly/moustache-handlebar road bikes that can be ridden comfortably for everyday purposes?

Side question: How do people stop at red lights / stop signs with their ass so high in the air on such a tall seat? Do they slide forward and off the seat, or tilt the bike to the side and put one foot on the ground?

Last edited by sodsbodkings; 08-08-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 01:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Buy a bike, change things to suit your preferences..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-08-20 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-08-20, 02:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You want a $1000 20# step through road bike that's not, right?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-08-20, 04:54 PM
sodsbodkings

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You want a $1000 20# step through road bike that's not, right?
noooooooooooooo this thread is different from that thread. i am looking at a road bike. doesn't matter if it's step through or not.
Old 08-08-20, 07:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by sodsbodkings
Is it possible to ride a road bike as a regular bike? Like, lower down that super high seat, swap out the dropped handlebars for flat handlebars (or raise the dropped handlebars higher), and ride it in a more upright comfortable position?
I ask because I want a lightweight bicycle for commuting and groceries, and all of the lightweight bicycles seem to be road bikes built for intense people hunched over in lycra.
Can you recommend any flat/butterfly/moustache-handlebar road bikes that can be ridden comfortably for everyday purposes?
You can do most anything you like to any bike you like. It just takes money. Flat bars on a road bike? Sure! You’ll need a a handlebar, of course, and shifters and brake levers. You might need a front derailer as well. That’s a fair chunk of change.

Side question: How do people stop at red lights / stop signs with their ass so high in the air on such a tall seat? Do they slide forward and off the seat, or tilt the bike to the side and put one foot on the ground?
If your saddle is adjusted properly, you shouldn’t be able to put your foot on the ground from the saddle.. If you can, your saddle is too low. So, yes, riders slide off the seat.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-08-20, 10:17 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
"Flat bar road bike" is a category worth looking into:

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/cyclin.../style_Flatbar

What I can't tell you is how light is light. Chances are, the offerings for flat bar road bikes top out before drop bar road bikes do.

Take the marketing pictures with a grain of salt... most of the bikes shown are a size too small for how high they've raised the saddles, because it looks sporty and cool that way. The one you actually buy should fit your body, not the photographer's preconceptions.
Old 08-08-20, 11:42 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
I want a lightweight bicycle for commuting and groceries,
why? A "Lighter" or "less heavy" bicycle is mostly good at accelerating faster and maybe easier on the climbs depending on how much effort one might put in, so you still need to.put that effort in, but sure if you like light no cargo fastest travelling yes by all means get the lightest and most earo bike you can get, Cheers!
Old 08-09-20, 07:12 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
why? A "Lighter" or "less heavy" bicycle is mostly good at accelerating faster and maybe easier on the climbs depending on how much effort one might put in, so you still need to.put that effort in, but sure if you like light no cargo fastest travelling yes by all means get the lightest and most earo bike you can get, Cheers!
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...er-1000-a.html

OP needs to carry it up and down stairs apparently. Seems like s/he wants a light, cheap, fast, upright race bike with rack mounts for portaging groceries.

OP, have you ever actually ridden or owned a bike? Judging by your posts you seem to have minimal reference points. No judgement if not (I hadn't owned a bike in 15 years when I joined the forum) it just seems like you're trying to get an urban quiver-killer for a song.
Old 08-09-20, 08:00 AM
DanielC94

Bikes: Bianchi Imola 2003, Jamis Durango 2010

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I used to use my Jamis mountain bike for commuting. It is rather heavy (30lbs before packed panniers). Mountain bikes can go pretty fast and can handle bumpy road conditions a bit more comfortably for a beginner rider too. Commuter bikes likely won't be that much lighter than mountain bikes though it could be a happy medium for you. I myself remember having a little soreness in my lower back when I got my first road bike but after a few rides I got used to the riding position. Investing in a decent second hand road bike may be your best option in terms of weight. Though I would warn you that as soon as you put panniers on the bike and try to carry it (with grocery filled panniers on) the weight distribution is out of balance and can be quite a challenge. When I started doing this with my mountain bike (commuting and grocery runs) I saw it as an opportunity to just get stronger and soon enough my body got used to it. (I did end up using my backpacking backpack on grocery runs though instead of bringing panniers, just easier that way).

So if I were you I would look for a road bike (if you're still looking for a new bike). I would get one second hand or on the cheaper end (100-300) so you're not breaking the bank. I would avoid single speed bikes for now. You can of course change the handlebars if that feels more comfortable for you. I would make sure when looking for a bike that if you want to put a rear rack on it that there are mounts available on the rear drop-outs (that way you don't have to mount the rack via the rear hub axle).

When it comes to stopping at red lights it will be more comfortable to slide forward off of your seat rather than teetering on your toes. Slide forward off the seat, keep one foot planted on the ground and the other resting on a pedal at a good starting position to get moving again. This will take time and practice and if you have a bike path nearby or a quiet road I would recommend practicing.
Old 08-09-20, 09:07 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I live on a street that's a popular thoroughfare for bike commuters in my locale, and my breakfast table looks out over the street, perfect for bike watching. What do folks ride? It looks like whatever they drug out of the garage when they decided to start commuting. They didn't look for the perfect commuting bike -- that's literally putting the cart before the horse. When I see one of the "regulars" on a new bike, it is usually but not always some kind of hybrid or commuter oriented bike, though certainly not always.

For me, drop bars are a no-go due to a minor neck injury that can get inflamed and then take months to go away. Swept bars that are roughly level with the saddle are my formula for comfort. If your body can tolerate drop bars, you'll probably like them. So it's a dilemma.

The problem with a conversion is that aftermarket parts are expensive, so a converted bike is not an economical choice if you can find something that works right for you from the start. In totally practical terms, you have to choose wisely, and if you decide to switch, it might be cheaper to sell the bike and buy another with the bars you prefer.

Among flat or upright bar bikes, there's a sliding scale, ranging from "comfort bikes" up to quite sporty hybrids that avoid the "hybrid" stigma by choosing some other term like "flat bar road bike." Also look up "carbon frame hybrid." For the record, my bike with aluminum frame and steel fork is 25 pounds. Some makers offer aluminum frame with carbon fork, which is an economical compromise, and then there are some full carbon models out there as well.

My grocery getter weighs 32 pounds. I started with a relatively light steel road frame, but added fenders, chainguard, internal gear hub, kickstand, rack, and basket. On the other hand, most cities are laid out so that the commercial districts are on relatively flat ground. It's not surprising that the earliest builders in a town chose the flattest portion.
Old 08-09-20, 12:34 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
"Flat bar road bike" is a category worth looking into:

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/cyclin.../style_Flatbar
Yeah, no reason to buy a roadbike and convert - nowadays you can just buy a lightweight skinny tire flat bar road bike.

Someone I know already owned the road bike and did the conversion to a flat bar but it was expensive, because the road cassette/derailler/etc needed a special compatible shifter to work with them.
Old 08-10-20, 10:35 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts

Lot of bad assumptions here like a road bike cannot be a an everday bike

1) road bike with drop bars does not have to have a super high seat to handlebar drop.....
2) buying and converting is expensive.
3) flat bars are not always comfortable.... personally flat bars give me a pain. literally if you don't want drops thing about something that lets your palm be facing to the frame like a north style bar
4) drop bars are not uncomfortable, the allow multiple positions for comrort and being able to go into the drop on a headwind is a blessing
5) riding the hoods with modern shifters is IMHO great for commuting

yes you just slide of of the saddle. To note almost all bikes proper fit should be such that you cannot just put your foot down at a stop

I have commuted for years, primarily on my road bike......which especially when I have had long commutes is more efficient than my upright bike

The bike I commute on the most is at the far right, close to level seat/bars, 105 5800 gear

the one in the middle is real old school and i commute on once in while just for the differnce

the green on on the left is the one i ride mostly just for quick errand on the weekend.... it has the north style bars (nitto in this case) I noted and an upright seating position (note the stem) (i converted an early 80's nishiki to this) I also commute on this, but I like the road for commuting because it is faster, fun and life is too short not to ride your best bike as much as you can

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-10-20, 11:05 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Devinci has been making flat bar road bikes for years; https://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_1297_scategory_296
They used to be called hybrids. The OP should be able to find an older Milano, St Tropez, or other similarly 'Euro-city' named Devinci pretty easily.
Old 08-10-20, 11:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

What?

Road bikes are regular bikes. Lots of people ride road bikes to work and for errands, including straight up race bikes. Lots of people manage to carry things on bikes, including road bikes. Lots of people find drop bars to be more comfortable than flat bars.

Side answer: coast to stop line, stand on pedal, slide forward off the saddle, put foot down while straddling top tube. On edit: here's a better photo:

While you're waiting, rotate one of the pedals to the 2 o'clock position. When the light turns green, stand on that pedal. As the bike moves forward, sit on the saddle, put your other foot on the other pedal, and carry on your way. So much more comfortable than trying to balance on your tippy toes.

Last edited by caloso; 08-13-20 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 04:23 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts

Old 08-16-20, 12:07 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
No, I understand there are pretty strict social guidelines in place about mixing bikes and intended purposes for a reason.

If you want to ride on the road, buy a road bike. If you want to commute, buy a commuter bike. If you want to ride on a mountain, etc etc etc.

These rules are sometimes inconvenient but they’re in place to protect us. Keep it safe out there. Rubber side down etc.
Old 08-16-20, 05:33 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by Phamilton
No, I understand there are pretty strict social guidelines in place about mixing bikes and intended purposes for a reason.

If you want to ride on the road, buy a road bike. If you want to commute, buy a commuter bike. If you want to ride on a mountain, etc etc etc.

These rules are sometimes inconvenient but they’re in place to protect us. Keep it safe out there. Rubber side down etc.
hi Phamilton , sarcasm or talking seriously ?
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 08-16-20, 07:23 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
The Salsa Journeyman line of ... all-road bicycles are sold as both flat-bar and drop bar models. I love them. I'm going to get one. They tick all the o.p.'s boxes. They should get one too. The least expensive runs around $600. Nice bikes can be had for less than that but not a lot less than that. A Trek FX2 or 3 can be had around $400. That is as low as I would go on a new bike.
Old 08-17-20, 12:10 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Set your seat height for riding, NOT for sitting on it stopped. Where do people get this idea?

Last edited by caloso; 08-17-20 at 12:23 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-17-20, 12:08 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Sounds like a bad idea. A fast, expensive road bike is like a thief magnet.

I wouldn't recommend using an expensive road bike for getting to the grocery store. YOu'll then need to secure the frame, quick release wheels with a long and heavy chain which adds a significant amount of weight to the bike. Defeats the purpose of having a lightweight bike doesn't it?

Maybe for commuting to work - if your office allows you to take your bike inside the office with you.

For commuting, you really don't need a high seat. You can have it low enough so you can simply tilt on one side and put one foot on the ground (around 2 cm below optimal). You only need a proper (high) seat if you're going to cruise above 20 mph which is dangerous in crowded city streets.
wrong... simply wrong..... setting the seat like this puts you in way less than effective pedaling situation. proper bike fit is proper bike fit, plan and simple. And it is no more work, or effort to slip of the saddle and put one foot on the ground than to put a foot on the ground.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-17-20, 12:23 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
"Commuter bike as a road bike" is a much harder transition, if you plan on keeping up with others on road bikes.
Old 08-17-20, 06:15 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

For commuting, you really don't need a high seat. You can have it low enough so you can simply tilt on one side and put one foot on the ground (around 2 cm below optimal). You only need a proper (high) seat if you're going to cruise above 20 mph which is dangerous in crowded city streets.
why are you saying that ?
Old 08-17-20, 07:52 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea. A fast, expensive road bike is like a thief magnet.

I wouldn't recommend using an expensive road bike for getting to the grocery store. YOu'll then need to secure the frame, quick release wheels with a long and heavy chain which adds a significant amount of weight to the bike. Defeats the purpose of having a lightweight bike doesn't it?
I don’t think bike thieves are that picky; you still need to secure a heavy bike. And of course, even when you’re carrying a lock, that light fast bike still feels nice and goes quick. I commute on my various road and cyclocross racing bikes all the time. I’m pretty ok with the idea of locking them up outside a store for a few minutes. To be fair they aren’t $8k super bikes or anything, but they’re not cheap, either.
Likes For grolby:
Old 08-18-20, 08:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I was just waiting for someone to say "dropper post," now the thread is complete and OP can start another one how he wants a 17# beach cruiser
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-18-20, 09:31 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

I almost fell down a few times zigzagging across vehicles in traffic over uneven parts of the road where I'm still too fast to get off the saddle or unable to brake suddenly (because the motorist behind could rear-end me).

I lowered the seat 2 cm below optimal so I can stick one foot out in times like these and that solved the problem. But because I'm also at max setback adjustment, I'm only 1 cm under optimum leg extension so not a big compromise.

Dropper post is also a neat solution....If you can find one for road bikes!
Thanks for clearing that up, but is it possible to maintain that riding style on a road bike ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.