Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Does It Seem Like Motorists Drive Differently After COVID-19?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: What do you think? Any change in the behavior of motorists?
Not really. Motorists have maintained the same low standard.
50.00%
Definitely: motorists are more aggressive and inept than before! (I didn't think it was possible.)
42.50%
Actually, motorists are better behaved, more patient, and more considerate than before.
5.00%
I think motorists have been replaced by infiltrators from another galaxy.
7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 05:42 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

I haven't been commuting as much since mid-March, but I've been walking more and doing some long rides. It seems to me that motorists are more erratic and irritable than back in the winter. (I wouldn't have thought it possible if you'd told me.)

Last edited by storckm; 08-26-20 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 07:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It did at first. But that was in April. Since everyone said "f it," no.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-26-20, 10:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
^^^
What they said. Driving habits seemed to change here for... about a month, and that was just because there were fewer cars on the road, because there was no place to go. Now it is absolutely back to "normal," as if nothing is happening. Close passes, attempted right hooks, the whole smorgasbord of distracted driving jackassery. Which is exactly what I anticipated, so I am pleasantly disappointed.
Old 08-27-20, 06:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
The facts are irrelevant if the narrative can be controlled...that's what I learned from 2020.

But seriously, it seems like traffic is back to normal with maybe a few more isolated examples of bad driving. However I also see more occurrences of patience and graciousness out there.

Maybe two to one a-holes over angels.

That's my perspective from the bike saddle.

From the driver's seat, traffic seems worse, but that may be just in contrast to how pleasant my bike commutes along mostly quiet, empty streets.

storckm Your post got me thinking about what socio-economic factors in 2020 may be contributing to a perceived increase in bad driving behavior. Now I am depressed.

Fortunately, I have bikes and beer, family and friends, employment and purpose...for now, anyway.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-27-20, 07:14 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
About the same. At first it was different because of the lower levels of traffic. Some drivers took this as an opportunity to increase their speed and lack of regard for others. But it's been back to the old normal for some time now, not better or worse.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-27-20, 08:49 AM
Atvar
Shimano's Shaman

Bikes: TFCT Starion Class Hull n. 312 "Thunder Child" - Sport Touring & Utility

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
No, not really. At least here in Italy.
Old 08-27-20, 07:03 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
The same confrontational, aggressive behavior that has permeated the rest of our society is definitely showing out on the road. For the first time ever, I am afraid when I get on my bike in the morning.
Old 08-27-20, 10:45 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
No science, just casual observation: yes, drivers are more erratic, aggressive and dangerous. There is a lot of ambient stress and anxiety on the planet right now and many people take their tortured psyches onto the road in automobiles. I have been lucky enough to be able (physically, geographically and logistically) to commute on my bicycle and for the most part I've been out of my car for months now.
There is something ominous about the way people's negative emotional states are amplified by driving a car. A society of weaponized vehicles.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 08-28-20, 12:31 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Every day I encounter a different group of drivers. There's probably some overlap with yesterday, because we're all out on the roads at the same time, but there's also new people in the mix every day. And all these different drivers, they all drive differently... well, a little differently maybe.

So, yes. Different drivers than before, and therefore different driving.
Old 08-28-20, 05:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
After? you're not in the US then.. people are still dying in droves , here... It's Not Over...
Old 08-28-20, 07:00 PM
moses

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When traffic was lighter rolling stops at intersections became the norm
Old 08-29-20, 06:15 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Yes I notice a difference....There is more speeding, more aggressive,, impatient reckless drivers, more stunt driving, more road rage,,,,Cyclists need to be more vigilant and more cautious then ever before.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-29-20, 07:34 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
After? you're not in the US then.. people are still dying in droves , here... It's Not Over...
I think the OP meant to say "since COVID-19," as in since COVID-19 became an out-of-control pandemic.
Old 08-29-20, 11:13 AM
BismarckII

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes I notice a difference....There is more speeding, more aggressive,, impatient reckless drivers, more stunt driving, more road rage,,,,Cyclists need to be more vigilant and more cautious then ever before.
In Germany many old people now switched to cars, as they feel it is safer. This has brought me into so many dangerous situations, as they are barely able to look around (physically). It became so dangerous to go by bike
Old 08-29-20, 11:49 AM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I think the OP meant to say "since COVID-19," as in since COVID-19 became an out-of-control pandemic.
Yep. "After" simply means "before" COVID-19 in this case.
Old 09-02-20, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Anti Mask is the new Dunning Kruger IQ pass /fail threshold ..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-03-20, 12:51 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
In Novi Sad (Serbia), there has been an increase in the number of cyclists over the last decade.
Rather sharp increase since the Corona "festival" had started.
Drivers have become a bit more aware of us being present on the road and I would say (subjective impression, not a statistically valid one) that the situation is just slightly better than it used to be.
On the roads at least. On many separate cycling lanes - there is an increased number of unskilled people on bicycles, so it takes some caution and lower speed to be safe with them around. Nothing too bad (for now), but noticeable.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 09-05-20, 07:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by storckm
I haven't been commuting as much since mid-March, but I've been walking more and doing some long rides. It seems to me that motorists are more erratic and irritable than back in the winter. (I wouldn't have thought it possible if you'd told me.)
Just received a letter yesterday from State Farm, that it is reducing its auto rates, by an average of 11% nationwide due its policyholders' reduced driving and associated accident claims.
Presumably it uses real life actuarial data rather than anecdotes to determine rates.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-05-20, 11:03 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I've found a number of folks seem to be driving faster, using directional signals less frequently, blowing stop signs, and generally driving in a less-patient manner.

But I've also found an increasing number of drivers who seem to be resigned to the more-sedate, more-cautious approach that seems communicated out there ... as in, there are more pedestrians, more cyclists, thus one has to be even more vigilant and cautious.

Overall, I suppose it's much the same. With some of the baddies behaving even worse, but many of the goodies driving with a bit more tolerance.

From what I've heard in the local news, this past eight months or so, the incidence of crashes into cyclists has dropped. Even at a time when there are definitely greater numbers of cyclists around. That's a good thing, locally. Hopefully it'll last.
Old 09-09-20, 09:12 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Upstate NY has become home to the worst drivers from Illinois, Maryland, Florida, Illinois, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois, Tennessee, Ohio, Illinois, the Carolinas, Wyoming, and...

Are there any humans left in Illinois? Have they all left? I’m sure at least a fifth of them have relocated to Syracuse alone. Even the ones who look like they’re supposed to be tending to cattle and corn are here.

The roads, highways and city streets around me are all crammed way beyond what they were designed for, which obviously is agitating both the locals and the visitors.

There aren’t more cyclists, but in May/early June the population of marathon joggers surged exponentially and has since disappeared.

Last edited by hsuBM; 09-09-20 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 01:56 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
By after, I mean after quarantine, etc. I realize the virus is still with us.
Old 09-16-20, 07:06 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
In March and April it was a joy to commute my ten miles each way to work and back. Cars were much less numerous. Often (at 6 AM) I'd be the only one on the streets. But now it's much worse. So much so that I have actually re-routed my commute to avoid all the busy thoroughfares and now cut across quiet neighborhood stress. Takes me longer to get to work, but the benefits of lower cortisol levels in my veins are worth the slight delay.
Likes For Helldorado: