Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

1-by (1x) to hit entry gravel models?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 11:13 AM
skabei
Meow

Bikes: Still looking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been eyeing an entry level gravel bike for a while and I'm seeing cool features like tubeless and through-axles on some brands' entry models.

Will 1x drivetrains eventually hit entry models as well?
Old 10-06-20, 12:24 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
They are already on entry models:

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/redwood
Likes For Elvo:
Old 10-06-20, 12:32 PM
skabei
Meow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvo
They are already on entry models:
Whoa, I did not know about this brand. Never heard of Microshift. How are they?
Old 10-06-20, 12:39 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
A 1x is a pretty easy conversion if you find a bike you like that only comes with 2x. If buying from a shop, you could even negotiate the 1x conversion into the sale.
Old 10-06-20, 12:59 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
I think this mostly has to do with available components and what you consider to be "entry level".

To really make 1x work, an 11 speed rear is needed. 12 speed is even better. Shimano's lower tier groupsets like Tiagra (10sp), Sora (9sp) and Claris (8sp) don't really make sense as 1x. In the Shimano GRX lineup, only the 800 (Ultegra level) or 600 (105 level) are available as 1x. The GRX 400 (Tiagra level), is a 10 speed and only available with a 2x crankset, but the rear derailleur does have a clutch so it could theoretically be set up as a 1x10 and work fine.

SRAM has the Apex 1x, which is roughly equivalent to Tiagra or 105 and likely the most entry level 1x groupset from a major manufacturer. An alloy gravel bike with Apex 1x is (if you can find one) probably in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500.
Old 10-06-20, 01:13 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by tdilf
A 1x is a pretty easy conversion if you find a bike you like that only comes with 2x. If buying from a shop, you could even negotiate the 1x conversion into the sale.
It's only easy if you've already got a groupset with 11 speed rear, or you are fine with 1x9 or 1x10 (which seems like a bad idea).

I upgraded a 105 2x10 speed to a Force 1x11 on my CX bike a few years ago. It was a nice upgrade, but I wouldn't describe it as easy. I replaced the RD, cassette, front chainring, chain and shifters, plus new cables. I was fortunate that my ear hub was already 11 speed, so my wheels worked with the new cassette, and my existing crankset worked with a 1x front chainring.

If you're going from 2x11 to 1x11 you can at least use the same shifters. You'll still need a new cassette, rear derailleur and front chainring, and probably a new chain since the length will change.
Old 10-06-20, 01:14 PM
skabei
Meow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdilf
Does doing this conversion cause you to lose too much gearing range, though? I've considered doing it on my old bike but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I think this mostly has to do with available components and what you consider to be "entry level".

To really make 1x work, an 11 speed rear is needed. 12 speed is even better. Shimano's lower tier groupsets like Tiagra (10sp), Sora (9sp) and Claris (8sp) don't really make sense as 1x. In the Shimano GRX lineup, only the 800 (Ultegra level) or 600 (105 level) are available as 1x. The GRX 400 (Tiagra level), is a 10 speed and only available with a 2x crankset, but the rear derailleur does have a clutch so it could theoretically be set up as a 1x10 and work fine.

SRAM has the Apex 1x, which is roughly equivalent to Tiagra or 105 and likely the most entry level 1x groupset from a major manufacturer. An alloy gravel bike with Apex 1x is (if you can find one) probably in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500.
Ah, I see. So the budget groupsets for sub $1000 bikes just don't have 1x as an option yet.

I'd love to see 1x11 at $1000 with SRAM/Shimano groupsets.
Old 10-06-20, 01:22 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by skabei
Does doing this conversion cause you to lose too much gearing range, though? I've considered doing it on my old bike but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
You can get a huge MTB style rear cassette and have loads of range, but you'll also have very large jumps between gears. This is the main downside to 1x, which is why more speeds is better.
Ah, I see. So the budget groupsets for sub $1000 bikes just don't have 1x as an option yet.

I'd love to see 1x11 at $1000 with SRAM/Shimano groupsets.
Yes and no. It's true that budget road groupsets are not available as 1x, but also it's because budget road groupsets are less than 11 speed, which is the minimum the industry thinks works well with 1x. A 1x10 speed could theoretically work, but the jumps between gears would be even larger than 11 speed. There aren't many large-range 10 speed cassettes available either.

If you look at the MTB market, 1x setups are trickling down to entry level. Shimano recently introduced a 1x12 Deore groupset. It's all about the speeds.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-06-20, 01:35 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 475 Posts
I have had a Microshift 2x10 system on one of my bikes for over 3 years with no issues. I did swap out the rear derailleur for a Shimano Deore 9 speed, so I could use an 11/34 cassette. The shifters are a bit louder than the Shimano or SRAM equivalents, but i prefer the loud positive click. Simply put, they shift cleanly when I press the lever. I don't know what more you can ask of a shifter.
Old 10-06-20, 09:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11008 Post(s)
Liked 7,536 Times in 4,214 Posts
I have refurbished a few bikes with microshift road shifters to sell. 2x7, 2x7, 2x9, and I also own a bike with 2x9. And my old gravel bike had microshift 11sp bar end shifters.
Everythibg worked perfectly. ill end up buying some 2x9 shifters in a month or so for a winter trainer bike to zwift on.

The company is legitimate and not a cheap scam.

Oh, and i used Microshift Advent 1x9 to update my wife's old mtb. Its simple and works as expected
Old 10-07-20, 07:44 AM
skabei
Meow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you look at the MTB market, 1x setups are trickling down to entry level. Shimano recently introduced a 1x12 Deore groupset. It's all about the speeds.
It'd be awesome if it trickled from MTB to gravel. Maybe it will, some day.

Originally Posted by dsaul
I have had a Microshift 2x10 system on one of my bikes for over 3 years with no issues. I did swap out the rear derailleur for a Shimano Deore 9 speed, so I could use an 11/34 cassette. The shifters are a bit louder than the Shimano or SRAM equivalents, but i prefer the loud positive click. Simply put, they shift cleanly when I press the lever. I don't know what more you can ask of a shifter.
Ah, this is interesting. I might convert one of my hybrids to drop handles so it's good to know about more drivetrain options.
Old 10-07-20, 08:45 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
It'd be awesome if it trickled from MTB to gravel. Maybe it will, some day.
I'm curious as to why you want 1x? It doesn't have any strong advantages (unless you are building a FS MTB and can't use a front detailer).
I went out of my way for 2x because I need both range and tight gearing. That and the wear and tear when you go below 14t gets kinda high.
My 2x is simpler, lighter, and more versatile. But if you don't have the need to both grind up steep hills and still ride a paceline at 30mph++, 1x is fine.

The biggest thing keeping them from "entry" is said above by all of MSU's fine advice. It just isn't worth it unless you have at least 11speeds, and entry level often starts with 8speed. Gotta have a reason to upgrade and spend more $$$, right?
Old 10-07-20, 08:59 AM
skabei
Meow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chas58
I'm curious as to why you want 1x? It doesn't have any strong advantages (unless you are building a FS MTB and can't use a front detailer).
I went out of my way for 2x because I need both range and tight gearing. That and the wear and tear when you go below 14t gets kinda high.
My 2x is simpler, lighter, and more versatile. But if you don't have the need to both grind up steep hills and still ride a paceline at 30mph++, 1x is fine.

The biggest thing keeping them from "entry" is said above by all of MSU's fine advice. It just isn't worth it unless you have at least 11speeds, and entry level often starts with 8speed. Gotta have a reason to upgrade and spend more $$$, right?
I agree that 1x should have 11 speeds so I'd be interested in a 1x only if it had 11 speeds.
I have a hybrid now but I want to get a gravel as my next bike but that won't be for at least another year or two.
My ideal set up would a 1x11 but it's not the biggest deal, but it'd be very compelling for me because of the simplicity.
1x11, tubeless at around $1000-1200 USD would be great so wondering if the trend is moving that way.
Old 10-07-20, 09:26 AM
chas58

Basically, you need a wide range cassette, and a rear derailleur that will accommodate your range - preferably with a clutch.

Realistically, you don't have to shift the front if you don't want to. ;-)
I tend to ride in a 36t chain ring when I'm solo (and don't worry about being dropped over 30mph), and a 46t chainring when I'm doing a fast group ride (although those of us on 2x will drop the 1x people, so we'll typically regroup and let them catch up).

1x is simple if you are flexible and not too anal. I love hearing (techie) 1x people talk about changing chain rings, trying to figure out what gives them the best compromise between climbing and speed, and what chain ring they need for a specific ride. Some people have a climbing cassette, and a close ratio speed cassette for faster road rides (easier if you have 2 wheels).
Old 10-07-20, 01:31 PM
msu2001la

Basically, you need a wide range cassette, and a rear derailleur that will accommodate your range - preferably with a clutch.

I tend to ride in a 36t chain ring when I'm solo (and don't worry about being dropped over 30mph), and a 46t chainring when I'm doing a fast group ride (although those of us on 2x will drop the 1x people, so we'll typically regroup and let them catch up).

1x is simple if you are flexible and not too anal. I love hearing (techie) 1x people talk about changing chain rings, trying to figure out what gives them the best compromise between climbing and speed, and what chain ring they need for a specific ride. Some people have a climbing cassette, and a close ratio speed cassette for faster road rides (easier if you have 2 wheels).
Totally agree with all of this.

I favor 1x on CX race bikes because it is one less thing to worry about on race day. It sounds silly... I mean, how hard is shifting a FD? But but when your HR is pegged and you're trying to hold onto someone's wheel coming out of a turn onto a long straight into the wind, and hammering... remembering to shift your FD back into the big ring isn't always top-of-mind. It's also one less thing to clog up with mud, and the clutched RD prevents chain slap and drops.

For my CX bikes, I run my 1x setup with either a 40T or 42T front chainring and an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette. This is gearing that works great for CX racing, and this same setup is workable for road riding, but not ideal. Most of my riding is on flat roads, so I'm rarely spinning out on 40/11 gearing on solo road rides, but it's not enough gear for fast groups. For pure road riding I'd much prefer 2x.

For gravel riding, I could go either way. I'm not racing gravel or riding anything with big climbs/descents, so 1x works fine. A gravel bike with 2x will be more versatile though, which is really what this type of bike is for. With a 46/36 crank and two wheelsets you can go from gravel grinder to a road bike in a matter of minutes.
Old 10-07-20, 02:12 PM
skabei
Meow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gahhh I hate how I can only post a max of 5 posts in a 24 hour period until I have 10 posts

I'm doing pure casual riding and I find I don't use the full range with a 2x anyway but I haven't tried a 1x11 yet to see if it's actually all that sufficient for me. I just like the sound of the simplicity of it, so far.
If given the chance right now to buy two identical bikes but one has a 2x and one has a 1x, then I _think_ I'd take the 1x.

But you guys raise some good points about the range.
Old 10-07-20, 03:23 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 365 Posts
In the UK, at least, there are some gravel bikes with 1x drivetrains. There's the Triban RC 120 which has the Microshift 10 speed for £499, which I've been looking at hard for a while. Triban do a lot of entry level bikes with a 1x for the ease of use factor, since you only need to worry about going up or down a gear, and not bother with 2x chainring thing where to go up another gear you need to change the front cog up one and the read cog down a few.
Interestingly, I also found a Genesis Flyer 2021 which is a single speed gravel bike (42x17T).

So they definitely exist.
Old 10-07-20, 03:25 PM
skabei
Meow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Herzlos
In the UK, at least, there are some gravel bikes with 1x drivetrains. There's the Triban RC 120 which has the Microshift 10 speed for £499, which I've been looking at hard for a while. Triban do a lot of entry level bikes with a 1x for the ease of use factor, since you only need to worry about going up or down a gear, and not bother with 2x chainring thing where to go up another gear you need to change the front cog up one and the read cog down a few.
Interestingly, I also found a Genesis Flyer 2021 which is a single speed gravel bike (42x17T).

So they definitely exist.
Very interesting. I also need to look into other smaller brands that are offered in North America. I've mainly only looked at the larger ones so far.
Old 10-08-20, 07:34 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts

You’re riding with a 36t/46t chainring set?
FWIW, my 1x can keep up with the 30 mph pace line...
Old 10-08-20, 07:43 AM
chas58

FWIW, my 1x can keep up with the 30 mph pace line...
Of course you can. But that is maxed out at its limit. Your going to get dropped above that, unless you have a big chain ring. You can do anything with 1x, but you can't do everything. ;-)
Old 10-08-20, 07:48 AM
chas58

I’m curious. Do you ever feel the need to shift the chainring in a cross race? I leave it in 36t (which would probably get me over 25mph if I needed), but I’m rarely over 15mph, unless I’m bombing down a hill (which typically are pretty rough), in which case I’m desperately trying to get my heart rate down in a few seconds of respite. When I’m CX racing in a 36t chainring, I’m more interested in having a better low end than a better high end. If I used a 40t, I would need a bigger cassette, and at that point I’m starting to get too big a jump between low gears anyway. Just wondering what your experience was…

Totally agree with all of this.

I favor 1x on CX race bikes because it is one less thing to worry about on race day. It sounds silly... I mean, how hard is shifting a FD? But but when your HR is pegged and you're trying to hold onto someone's wheel coming out of a turn onto a long straight into the wind, and hammering... remembering to shift your FD back into the big ring isn't always top-of-mind. It's also one less thing to clog up with mud, and the clutched RD prevents chain slap and drops.

For my CX bikes, I run my 1x setup with either a 40T or 42T front chainring and an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette. This is gearing that works great for CX racing, and this same setup is workable for road riding, but not ideal. Most of my riding is on flat roads, so I'm rarely spinning out on 40/11 gearing on solo road rides, but it's not enough gear for fast groups. For pure road riding I'd much prefer 2x.

For gravel riding, I could go either way. I'm not racing gravel or riding anything with big climbs/descents, so 1x works fine. A gravel bike with 2x will be more versatile though, which is really what this type of bike is for. With a 46/36 crank and two wheelsets you can go from gravel grinder to a road bike in a matter of minutes.
Old 10-08-20, 08:09 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
just about any bike can be converted to 1x for less than $50 by just replacing the front rings with a single ring and removing the front derailer. it depends on the gear range you want though. merely replacing the front rings means your existing cassette might not be enough.

I converted a 2x10 to 1x10. went from 48/34 front and 11-32 rear to a 38 front and kept the 11-32 rear and never missed the high and low ends of the range. then I removed the rear and just started riding 1x1 with 38/16 and didn't miss anything either, but that's me grinding the hills and spinning the flats with a big grin on my face because I don't have to worry about derailers at all anymore.
Old 10-08-20, 09:13 AM
msu2001la

I’m curious. Do you ever feel the need to shift the chainring in a cross race? I leave it in 36t (which would probably get me over 25mph if I needed), but I’m rarely over 15mph, unless I’m bombing down a hill (which typically are pretty rough), in which case I’m desperately trying to get my heart rate down in a few seconds of respite. When I’m CX racing in a 36t chainring, I’m more interested in having a better low end than a better high end. If I used a 40t, I would need a bigger cassette, and at that point I’m starting to get too big a jump between low gears anyway. Just wondering what your experience was…
It depends on the course. When I ran 46/36 2x, there were some tracks were I could go with the small ring the whole way, but others where I could not. I don't think we have any hills big enough to matter, but plenty of courses with start/finish on a few hundred yards of paved roadway, and/or long flat power sections which can get pretty fast when it's dry/hardpack.

I see on the gearing calculator that a 36x11 is good for 25mph and I doubt I spent much time above that even on fast tracks, so maybe it's more psychological than anything, worrying about running out of gears. I was also taught (right or wrong) to avoid using the small/small combo to minimize chain drops, so I would typically upshift the front when I was still in the 12 or 13 cog.

I've never noticed the gear jumps on 1x with an 11-32 or 11-34 to be a factor for CX racing. I can see this being more of an issue if you need to run a larger cassette to deal with actual climbing where you want more spinny gears. Around here we just dismount and run, because our longest "hills" are like 100 feet long.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-09-20, 08:42 AM
timebomb

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are a few 1x entry level gravel bikes:

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/redwood
https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...foothill-green
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-nicasio-1
https://www.statebicycle.com/product...gray-650b-700c
Old 10-12-20, 08:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 2,524 Posts
I recently put together some $750 hybrids with 1X. Haven't really been paying attention to what the 1X gravel bikes I have been working on cost, but I don't think it's that much. $1200 Kona MTB have 1X. I think all I have put together are Kona, Salsa, and Surly. Probably should pay more attention.