Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Went down today - feeling shook up and stupid

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Went down today - feeling shook up and stupid

Old 10-18-20, 02:51 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Not sure how old the OP is, but there is an age of around 55 when people's eyes change, and it becomes much harder to see detail in shady areas of the road especially on bright sunny days, and ESPECIALLY when wearing sunglasses. I have started looking over mine on shady descents so I don't miss anything.

That has worked OK so far, but one thing I did hit unexpectedly was a fairly large dip from a gopher or squirrel hole. With no edge to stand out, those can be very hard to see in shady areas of the road.
I think that was part of the issue. I was wearing sunglasses on an overcast day and it was late afternoon, so darker than at the beginning of my ride. And as trailangel said, I was close to home and let my guard down, jauntily accelerating while I looked over my shoulder and (I think) beginning to move to the left just as I put my front wheel into that hole.

No headache yet, almost 24 hours later. I don't think I hit my head too hard. Of the other injuries, it's my "hip" (not really the hip, but the trochanter) that is most sore. I was on the trainer earlier today and it made it's soreness known.
Old 10-18-20, 02:54 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Iride01
If there isn't any damage to the helmet I wouldn't suspect any concussion. But what do I know? YMMV.

I've had three wrecks in about 8 years time. The last two about 14 months apart. The one that cracked my skull last year I was up and going the next day, but because I seemed to be in more fog than ever, I didn't ride for over six full months. It took five months for me to feel that I'd recovered and no more fog. Scrambled thinking was norm before the concussion and it seems just my normal scrambled thinking with no fog now. <grin>

But even the other two crashes from essentially the back tire wanting to take the lead from the front tire left me with sore hips and shoulder for several weeks. Not so much that I didn't ride, but it took some effort initially. The older I get the more the joint soreness seems to take awhile to go away. The crash 8 years ago was much harder a blow to my hip, but I only limped for a week.

I'm hoping crashes come in threes and I've had my last one for a while.
The helmet was dented but not cracked. I posted a picture above.

I feel for your battles with brain fog. That was one of the issues with my concussion some years ago. In that case, the aggravating symptoms didn't show up at all for a week or two after the incident, so I don't think I'll know if I'm out of the woods for a while.
Old 10-18-20, 04:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
I'm not going to offer condolences as I think praise is more applicable here. Good for you! You done good. Nice job of avoiding injury. Quick crashes like that really test one's instincts and yours are obviously correct. You learned a new thing - always check ahead before checking back. A helmet mirror might have been a good idea, too - helmet or eyeglasses mirrors allow one to scan for what's back there.

The top tube looks definitely repairable to me. A repair will only add a few grams to bike weight and will be as strong as the original structure. That would be my approach if I really liked my bike - which I do.

Repairing you - if you have road rash, the latest and greatest repair aid is hydrocolloid bandages. They have Tegaderm beat all hollow.

I never had the luxury of crashing so close to home. I've always had to remount and just keep going. The blood on your socks is supposed to be a sign of whatever . . .stupidity probably. Luckily I never broke the bike. Maybe 20 y.o. carbon had more carbon in it.
Old 10-18-20, 04:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Oh, and the top tube of my Felt is cracked pretty badly..
Contact Calfee, they can fix it.
https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/
Old 10-18-20, 05:55 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
The last time I took my Trek 930 to an off-road MTB trail, I fell three times. First, I never did any of this off-road stuff before, and 75 is too late to start. Second, the 1992 bike came with toe clips and I left them on that day. I don't use cleats but when riding on the road, the clips just keep my feet in position. In each case, I fell because my feet were trapped and i couldn't catch myself. No real injury, but like the OP, I felt rather stupid. Now I do paved or other hard trail or road riding only and I use only flat pedals. No more MTB trails for me - I really don't like getting my bike dirty!
Old 10-18-20, 05:55 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Sorry to hear. Glad you didn’t hurt your head.

i also took a bad fall years back and cracked my Giant Defy frame in two places. It was repaired somewhere in Orlando area, for about $500, and they did a great job. I can probably find them again if need be.

Last edited by wthensler; 10-18-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 06:50 PM
MinnMan

There are two local places that repair carbon. Appleman Bicycles and Cyclocarbon. Appleman has done repairs for me before and I can drive there in less time than it would take to pack a bike for shipping. I've sent him some photos.

I haven't been able to bring myself to look the bike over carefully. There could be other frame damage that wasn't as noticeable.

Last edited by MinnMan; 10-18-20 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 09:06 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
sorry to hear man. rest and recover
Old 10-19-20, 09:46 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the crash but don't feel stupid. Sounds like it could happen to anyone. Always best to think through the whole series of events and ask yourself what you could have done differently and integrate that into your riding.

The one thing you mentioned is looking over your shoulder to check for traffic before making a left. One thing that I did a couple years ago was to start using a Take-a-look mirror and now do not feel comfortable riding without it. The ability to see what is coming up on you with a glance is a good thing and can keep you from taking your eyes off the road ahead.
Old 10-19-20, 10:00 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Yeah, I've seen you post about your crash before. That truly sucks. The concussion I had about a dozen years ago (not from a bike crash) wasn't so bad that I lost consciousness or memory of the event, but I suffered with symptoms for months - sleeplessness, headaches, and extreme aggravation at certain sounds. The sound of two drinking glasses clinking together became torture for a very long time.

I hit with my body first, and then my head grazed the pavement. I got up right away, got out of traffic's way, and moved to the sidewalk. Another cyclist stopped and asked if I was OK. My first answer was, "I don't know", but I walked around to see if anything really hurt, and a moment later told her that I was OK and that I lived nearby.

I rode the bike home, slowly, and didn't notice the big obvious crack in the frame until I got to my garage and dismounted.
I was lucky in that I had the memory lapse but no other symptoms. No headaches, no cloudy thinking or sleeplessness. I don't think I lost consciousness for long either ... maybe a few minutes.

The scary thing is that I have been cycling for a good 30 years or so, and never really heard much about TBIs. So far this year, I had one friend essentially disabled by one, and another that had a close call. We were all wearing helmets, and good ones at that. And we weren't going terribly fast (I was probably going 12-14 MPH). It's not going to stop me from riding, but it does give me pause.

Glad to hear you're aware of what to look for and that no symptoms have showed up.

Old 10-19-20, 12:30 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Ouch! Glad you had the lid on. Sorry about the bike! Forecast is for upwards of 8 inches tomorrow so you have plenty of time to get the road/gravel bike sorted out.
Old 10-19-20, 01:35 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by reverborama
Ouch! Glad you had the lid on. Sorry about the bike! Forecast is for upwards of 8 inches tomorrow so you have plenty of time to get the road/gravel bike sorted out.
Oh, thanks. (not). Kind of bummed about the early snow.

I'm usually pretty intrepid for winter riding, but under my present circumstances, this is extra reason to hang out in Watopia for a while.
Old 10-19-20, 01:46 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Glad you are relatively OK. No self-blame needed. It's just one more learning experience.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-21-20, 05:32 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm just reading this now. Glad your doing OK my brother.
Old 10-21-20, 08:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
you can probably buff that out.

very glad you are ok.
Old 10-22-20, 08:10 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
half a mile from my house, after a very enjoyable 55 mile ride, I hit a big pothole just as I was turning around to check traffic, in preparation for a left turn. It's a road I ride all the time, but somehow I found a pothole that I didn't know.

Down I went (going maybe 18 mph). No major injuries to the body - bruises on my right shoulder, elbow, hip, and thigh. I hit my head on the right side also. I don't think I have a concussion, but it's always hard to tell at first. My other experience with a concussion, I felt a big blow to the head - like a bomb had gone off - on impact, but the symptoms (headaches, and then later other symptoms that lasted months) didn't show up for a few days. This didn't feel like a big blow at all. Maybe my nice Giro Synthe MIPS helmet (now in need of replacement) saved my bacon.

Oh, and the top tube of my Felt is cracked pretty badly.

I think I escaped without major bodily consequences, but I feel out of sorts. Time will tell.
From one Twin Cities rider to another, glad you're OK. As others have said, it looks like your helmet and bike itself absorbed most of the impact. I just about had an incident on 69th Street by the Galleria, I got my front tire stuck in the groove between the sections of asphalt. This time of year, those imperfections are showing up where you least expect them!
Old 10-30-20, 09:23 AM
MinnMan

A follow-up report:

Almost 2 weeks later. No sign of a concussion (phew!). I still have a gnarly scab on my hip, though.

I've spent most of the last two weeks on Zwift, partly out of caution, partly because the weather has been crappy. I'm beginning to venture outside again. Saturday afternoon looks nice.

The bike is being repaired by Appleman Bicycles. The quoted price is $300. It will take a while, but the season for road bikes is mostly over here anyway.

Giro offered a 30% crash-replacement discount for a new helmet. Thanks GlennR for the tip.

Still wondering how I let it happen, but grateful that I wasn't really hurt badly.
Old 10-30-20, 09:37 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I've been contemplating a Mipps helmet for a while now. No better reminder / advertisement / motivation / kick in the butt than this thread. Glad to hear the crash recovery (bike and body) is coming along well.
Old 10-30-20, 09:52 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
I've been contemplating a Mipps helmet for a while now. No better reminder / advertisement / motivation / kick in the butt than this thread. Glad to hear the crash recovery (bike and body) is coming along well.
This is a good guide for helmets, based on safety. Not comprehensive, but many common models have been tested. Note that some of the safest helmets aren't actually that expensive. I just bought a Specialized Align ($50) for my winter helmet (I wear a different sized helmet in winter, when I need room for a thick balaclava)
Old 11-27-20, 01:41 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I stopped riding motorcycle dirt bikes after getting knocked out for the second time within a year, I was in my late 50’s. I credit the quality of my helmet in preventing lasting consequences.

These days I chase my adult son on a mountain bike, on single track trails. I biff, so far without injury. I think my motorcycle experience has helped me develop the ability to not tense up or put out a hand when I biff. Just let it happen. Tuck and roll.

I am more concerned riding road with a group, going fast, inches apart. I also can’t help myself from backing off slightly when we’re cornering at speed. I’ve seen a few road crashes. Riders slam to the ground in an instant. The good news is there isn’t time for the rider(s) to stick out an arm,

I can’t imagine not wearing a helmet. Or not riding.

To the OP, glad you had no lasting effects from your crash. And glad you wear a good helmet. Me too.