Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drilling out presta rim to scrader-size it.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 12:52 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts

If drilling out a presta rim on mountain bike to a 21/64" size, would that make schrader tubeless impossible? I ask because the Park Tool video shows them doing 21/64 on the inner wall and 19/64 on the outer wall of the rim for tubeless schrader.

I don't know why they think two widths are necessary for schrader tubeless. If the inner wall is not air tight at 21/64", the outer wall sure won't be since there is nothing to stop air leaking out even though a smaller diameter, unless their valve nut is somehow air tight fit.

Last edited by BikeLite; 10-28-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-28-20, 01:39 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I've watched the video you posted. I can't see that drilling the larger hole all the way through would make putting the new valve in impossible. It would still work, bit I think they are suggesting a 'best practices.'

They expect the new schrader valve to seal on the inside wall. I don't run tubeless but thats the way all work, no? Sealing tape is used in the bed of the rim to cover the spoke holes.

They want you to make that hole a little bigger to ensure you're on the rubber sealing cone when you tighten the nut.

For the hole in the outer rim wall, I guess they want a close fit around the new valve stem to give it full support so it is less likely to get knocked or pulled sideways, losing the seal.

If you make both holes 21/64ths the stem should still seal on the inner wall. It's just that the slightly larger hole on the outer wall won't quite support the new stem as well. That's my guess anyway.

Last edited by joeruge; 10-28-20 at 01:50 PM.
Likes For joeruge:
Old 10-28-20, 01:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
Seems as if they drilled the inner wall larger to allow the rubber shoulder on the valve to sit in the hole rather than ride above it (or below, depending on perspective.) Cool video, never knew there was any interest in tubeless Schrader.
Likes For shelbyfv: