Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repacked Old Shimano Exage Hubs - How smooth should it feel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 09:28 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

I bought an old less-than-perfectly-maintained Miyata Pavea for my partner, since her bike was stolen, and have been getting in back in shape to ride. Just about done. The one thing that bothered me was the wheels (Mistral rims on Shimano HBRM50 Exage hubs). When I spun them they did not feel super smooth, like wheels on my other (newer) bike. They would spin a very long time, but I could feel some vibration or roughness, and hear a bit of clicking. Both wheels.

From reading more on this forum, my guess was it was something with the hubs or bearings—dried out grease, damage cones or bearings, something like that, since the bike is decades old, and has potentially never had its hubs serviced. The clicking I surmised was the bearings knocking into each other, perhaps loose from not much grease in there. I'd like the wheels and bike to live a long and happy life, so I took them to my LBS, and they basically told me "it's an old wheel, what do you want?" and said that having them repack both hubs would probably not be worth what they charge to do it ($85) since it might not help. They did adjust the bearings a little for free because they said it had slight play, but that did not have any discernible change to the issue.

So I decided to attempt repacking hubs for my first time. When I opened them up, there was in fact almost no grease, but otherwise everything looked pretty intact. No pitting or corrosion. No damage to hubs, cones, or bearings. The cones are dark, and there is a straight line of lighter metal in the center of the curve of the cone, but from looking on other posts here, it looks like it's not damage but the bearing "polishing" the cone. So, I cleaned everything out with a rag, put new grease in, put brand new bearings in for good measure, and reassembled. No more clicking! It still spins for a long time, But the the vibration/roughness is still there (although hard to tell if it is less or the same).

Anyway, my question is, if there is no damage, and repacking is done properly, should the spinning be perfectly smooth without any roughness whatsoever, or is this expected from a wheel that is 30+ years old? Is this a product of general wear? Were old hubs ever perfectly smooth? Or did I just do it wrong, misadjusting or not cleaning properly? If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to better understand how all this is supposed to work and feel. thanks!
Old 10-30-20, 09:54 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Does the roughness go away if you back the cones out a little?
Also, if they are QR wheels, adjust the cones with the skewer under tension off the bike, using a couple of nuts as a spacer, a search of youtube should show you how to do this.
Old 10-30-20, 10:36 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Adjusting wheel bearings requires patience and a light touch. Sounds as if your cones are adjusted a bit too tight. Back them off a touch until they smooth out.
Old 10-31-20, 12:52 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m in the replace the ball bearings camp, especially if it has been decades since there has been any service. The technique I use to adjust the cones, from others here, is to have an ever so slight amount of play that disappears when the quick release is tightened.

But honestly for me, I’ve never been able to get a lower end hub to feel as smooth as a higher end.

John
Old 10-31-20, 01:45 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
I bought an old less-than-perfectly-maintained Miyata Pavea for my partner, since her bike was stolen, and have been getting in back in shape to ride. Just about done. The one thing that bothered me was the wheels (Mistral rims on Shimano HBRM50 Exage hubs). When I spun them they did not feel super smooth, like wheels on my other (newer) bike. They would spin a very long time, but I could feel some vibration or roughness, and hear a bit of clicking. Both wheels.

From reading more on this forum, my guess was it was something with the hubs or bearings—dried out grease, damage cones or bearings, something like that, since the bike is decades old, and has potentially never had its hubs serviced. The clicking I surmised was the bearings knocking into each other, perhaps loose from not much grease in there. I'd like the wheels and bike to live a long and happy life, so I took them to my LBS, and they basically told me "it's an old wheel, what do you want?" and said that having them repack both hubs would probably not be worth what they charge to do it ($85) since it might not help. They did adjust the bearings a little for free because they said it had slight play, but that did not have any discernible change to the issue.

So I decided to attempt repacking hubs for my first time. When I opened them up, there was in fact almost no grease, but otherwise everything looked pretty intact. No pitting or corrosion. No damage to hubs, cones, or bearings. The cones are dark, and there is a straight line of lighter metal in the center of the curve of the cone, but from looking on other posts here, it looks like it's not damage but the bearing "polishing" the cone. So, I cleaned everything out with a rag, put new grease in, put brand new bearings in for good measure, and reassembled. No more clicking! It still spins for a long time, But the the vibration/roughness is still there (although hard to tell if it is less or the same).

Anyway, my question is, if there is no damage, and repacking is done properly, should the spinning be perfectly smooth without any roughness whatsoever, or is this expected from a wheel that is 30+ years old? Is this a product of general wear? Were old hubs ever perfectly smooth? Or did I just do it wrong, misadjusting or not cleaning properly? If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to better understand how all this is supposed to work and feel. thanks!
Ride it see what happens. They won't wear out quickly and will probably run like that for a very long time. And if you don't notice it when you ride it means they are fine.
Old 10-31-20, 02:43 AM
KCT1986

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
I have HB-RM50 front hub that was NOS. Cleaned and re-greased it. After the normal cone adjustment, it still wasn't super smooth. Not really rough, but not quite as buttery as Shimano's upper lines. Guess that the cone & cups aren't quite up to the standard of the upper lines.
Old 10-31-20, 07:56 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
I have HB-RM50 front hub that was NOS. Cleaned and re-greased it. After the normal cone adjustment, it still wasn't super smooth. Not really rough, but not quite as buttery as Shimano's upper lines. Guess that the cone & cups aren't quite up to the standard of the upper lines.
internet strangers opinions who havent touched the hub can only mean so much, but cup and cone adjustments are always dealing with small amounts--but as others have said, Ive generally found low end hubs to not be as smooth as better ones.
Not to mention that its so common for low or even mid level hubs to be overtightened from the get go when new, so with some riding, the chances of small imperfections/pitting happening are going to be more.

another strangers experience who isnt a working mechanic but works and rides on a household of bikes with a whole range of hub qualities.
Likes For djb:
Old 11-02-20, 01:23 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I take a lot of care cleaning and repacking old hubs, some 50 years old. They rarely feel smooth when spinning while holding the axle/skewers in my hands, but always work fine on the bike. Same with old headsets. I used to always replace bearings until a very experienced shop mechanic said they are still good if shiny.
Old 11-13-20, 08:44 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts
Just following up—
I ended up starting over and cleaning and repacking them again. After a good bit of adjusting it definitely felt better. Not super buttery smooth, but better, and you can't feel or hear it at all when on the bike now.
Old 11-13-20, 09:34 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
A good example of "the devil is in the details", or at least in the fine tuning of cones.
Old 11-13-20, 09:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Front and rear or just the rear and is the rear hub cassette or freewheel? If freewheel you could have a slightly bent axle that can make it a little rough and impossible to adjust perfectly. Otherwise they are a bottom end hub that wasn't built to be as refined as a higher end one and they'll show it. My first bike I bought ran those for several years till I picked up a Shimano 600/Mavic Reflex wheelset at a pawn shop for 25.00, worked till the end and went on someone else's bike. Just older, slower and still reliable.
Old 11-14-20, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Hard to say with out having it in my own hands. But in general, I would rather have a little bit of play in the bearings than not. Once that last little bit of play is eliminated you quickly get to the point where they are too tight and will feel rough when spun.

A perfectly adjusted axle and bearings in a wheel off the bike won't be perfectly adjusted once the skewer is clamped.
Old 11-14-20, 01:11 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
When the hub is completely apart, check the axle with a straight edge to see if it is bent.