Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hubs for commuting

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hubs for commuting

Old 12-04-16, 07:45 AM
ammarolli

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2 2017, Cube Cruve Pro 2015 and Berlín Dutch Bike 3 speed 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hubs for commuting

I went through a noname cup and cone rear hub last winter and got new wheel as a replacement warranty from LBS with shimano deore hub centerlock disc.

I think i've gone through the deore hub or at least the freehub in 6 months. I ride all year long in all kinds of weather and now the cassette wobble when I spin the rear wheel. I'm going to LBS tomorrow and let them find out what is causing that as the bike was there last week.

Are there any hubs do you recommend for commuting that are not expensive like hope?
Old 12-04-16, 07:55 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I recommend shimano deore
Old 12-04-16, 09:12 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Have you spun the rear wheel on other bikes to compare?

What you see might be normal?

You didn't say HOW MUCH wobble.
Old 12-04-16, 09:15 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Do you ever service your hubs? Deroe hubs will last a very long time if you take care of them.
Old 12-04-16, 09:52 AM
ammarolli

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2 2017, Cube Cruve Pro 2015 and Berlín Dutch Bike 3 speed 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Have you spun the rear wheel on other bikes to compare?
It's little wobble but the bike makes also noise like the cable tension is too much cable tension on the rear mech but the cable tension is not too much as the bike shifts ok.
I have a the original cassette and new chain on the bike.

I have a Trek Crossrip with sealed bontrager hubs and that bike does not do anything like that.

Originally Posted by kingston
Do you ever service your hubs?
I usually bring my bike to LBS after the winter and let them service the hubs and other bearings.
I never serviced that hub and only ridden about 1500km on that one.
Old 12-04-16, 10:04 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

You may want to learn how to service your own hubs. It's not that hard. I have ruined deroe hubs in one winter before too, so now I service them every few hundred miles if the conditions are bad. Winter slush is hard on equipment. Unfortunately with cup and cone hubs there's no way to tell if they need service without opening them up, and once you have taken them apart you might as well service them.
Old 12-04-16, 10:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rohloff , It works for Me .. in the rainiest weather under my cycle rain cape, draped over the (trekking ) handlebars
shift grip rolls thru the whole range at any speed, even stopped. with out looking at the shifter..

lower cost Shimano IGH work OK too . 11 is also an oil lubed , 8 is greased, inside...

any how those who only think of derailleurs , talk amongst yourselves.
their biggest advantage is; when bike is stolen the loss is less..

Lock 'em up solid..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-04-16 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-04-16, 10:35 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

My new winter bike has sturmey archer hubs (RX-RD3/X-FDD). Since this will be my first winter on these hubs I can't speak to longevity, but I expect they will last a long time with the appropriate maintenance.
Old 12-04-16, 10:51 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Some cassette/freewheel wobble is perfectly normal - does not mean you've "gone through" the freehub. If a Deore hub is well greased and adjusted it will last quite a long time, even in rough conditions. Given your usage I would recommend you overhaul or at least internally check the bearings at least twice per year.
Old 12-04-16, 11:39 AM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I agree with the above post. cny-bikeman .I ride 24 miles a day, rain or shine in a wet part of the country. I found Shimano 105 hubs and DT340's to be amazingly reliable. On the subject of cassette wobble, there will be some, its natural for the mechanics, higher end hubs have less. - so this is subjective. Don't expect your cassette not to wobble is I guess what I am saying.

I don't service my hubs often, maybe once a year.

good luck
Old 12-04-16, 11:40 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by ammarolli
It's little wobble but the bike makes also noise like the cable tension is too much cable tension on the rear mech but the cable tension is not too much as the bike shifts ok.
I have a the original cassette and new chain on the bike.

I have a Trek Crossrip with sealed bontrager hubs and that bike does not do anything like that.

I usually bring my bike to LBS after the winter and let them service the hubs and other bearings.
I never serviced that hub and only ridden about 1500km on that one.
So- you HAVEN'T compared it to another bike because?

You may simply need a turn on the barrel adjuster, but that's probably too easy for you?
Old 12-04-16, 12:27 PM
ammarolli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
So- you HAVEN'T compared it to another bike because?

You may simply need a turn on the barrel adjuster, but that's probably too easy for you?

No no no don't get me wrong . I compared the wobble with my other bike trek crossrip with the new 10 speed tiagra 11-34 cassette, nothing like that is happening there.
If I turn the barrel adjuster so I don't have any noise the bike won't shift like it should do. I got new chain like i said and new derailleur pulleys at LBS as the upper pulley had way too much side to side play.

Also where I live many cyclist have been experiencing a problem with shimano deore rear hubs, they get gunked up and not working well especially in the winter time. One cyclist need to service his deore hub every other week.
Old 12-04-16, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by kingston
My new winter bike has sturmey archer hubs (RX-RD3/X-FDD). Since this will be my first winter on these hubs I can't speak to longevity, but I expect they will last a long time with the appropriate maintenance.

My Winter rigged bike* , an old MTB has S-A drum brake Hubs Its Been fine for about 30 years

mY Rear is for a screw on freewheel , since the S-A ownership Move from England to Sun Race in Taiwan

The options have broadened considerably , cassette free-hub version, Drum/dynamo front Combo, etc..

* fitted with studded tires ,I Break it out when the road gets Icy..

Old 12-04-16, 01:30 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by fietsbob
* fitted with studded tires ,I Break it out when the road gets Icy.. ....
The roads only get icy once a year here in Chicago. This year it's today. Here's a picture from my front door.

They should thaw out by late March or early April.
Old 12-04-16, 02:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

we Missed two years, past @ sealevel, cold but not snowing on the coast , in the past the Columbia River Gorge
has worked effectively to funnel cold air masses from behind the Cascades , westward, to The Ocean shore .

some times that results in Portland being snowy , but not us ,150 miles west of there..

Only lasts maybe a week, 2 max ..

Old 12-06-16, 09:18 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Shimano hubs often have a little grease on the cup and cone ball bearrings. If you add a lot of grease you can minimise the chances of water or anything entering the bearings. I overpack my bearings with no ill effects.
Deore hubs should last years of eveyday, all weather commuting.
Old 12-06-16, 09:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Shimano hubs often have a little grease on the cup and cone ball bearrings. If you add a lot of grease you can minimise the chances of water or anything entering the bearings. I overpack my bearings with no ill effects.

Deore hubs should last years of eveyday, all weather commuting.

Yes, and you can wipe the squeezed out grease on your chain to deter rust.
Old 12-06-16, 11:15 AM
ammarolli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the bike from LBS and they replaced the trigger shifter and the gear cable + housing. They told my hubs were in good condition and the only thing they haven't checked out is my cassette which is know on the 4th chain. I still have the clicking and ticking noise in some cogs like the smallest and the biggest once. The shifting ok for what I have on the bike.

Here is a photo of the bike. I'm starting to think that the rea rderaillour is bent and causing me that noise

Last edited by ammarolli; 12-06-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-06-16, 01:30 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the bike from LBS and they replaced the trigger shifter and the gear cable + housing. They told my hubs were in good condition and the only thing they haven't checked out is my cassette which is know on the 4th chain. I still have the clicking and ticking noise in some cogs like the smallest and the biggest once. The shifting ok for what I have on the bike.

Here is a photo of the bike. I'm starting to think that the rea rderaillour is bent and causing me that noise

All weather riding and you're on your fourth chain without changing the cassette? The derailleur may well be went, but I imagine you're long past due for a new cassette.
Old 12-06-16, 01:44 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Deore hubs are about as good as anyone needs. I have many wheelsets, including ones built with Hope hubs. In terms of design and resistance to the elements, I have more trust the mid-range Shimano hubs, such as Deore.

I go through 3-4 chains for every cassette and chainring replacement. You may be overdue. And if the derailleur has been through hell and back, the jockey wheels may also be pooched. Perhaps the derailleur is worn out as well - pivots in the cage may be loose/sloppy.
Old 12-06-16, 02:44 PM
ammarolli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rfmarotti
All weather riding and you're on your fourth chain without changing the cassette?.
Only two chains had some mileage before they were replaced. The first one was replaced right before it measured 0.75 worn. I managed to brake the second chain in about month so it was not worn. The third chain was replaced do to shifting issues and measured 0.5 wear. So I'm now on the fourth chain with like 50km on it.
LBS told me their wear some life left in the cassette and old experienced at mech told me that he could not see nothing wrong with the cassette.

I got this derailleur in May after wearing out the original one. LBS replaced the jockey wheels on this derailleurs with some tacx do to way too much side to side play and most of the shifting issued disappeared.
However I have this noise like there's too much cable tension. I think I have some misalignment going on with the rear derailleur causing that.

Last edited by ammarolli; 12-06-16 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 05:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Ice & snow I have drum brake Hubs , on an old bike without disc tabs ..

Use an IGH and No derailleur there to Bend..
Old 12-06-16, 07:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
I got new chain like i said and new derailleur pulleys at LBS as the upper pulley had way too much side to side play.
The upper pulley should have side to side play to allow the chain to align itself with the cogs. Lower not so much.
Old 12-07-16, 12:35 PM
ammarolli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have this problem after everything has been replaced. I got a new cassette and I still have this problem with noise drivetrain and wobbly cassette. I went to other bike LBS to get a second opinion after this mess. The mech looked at my bike and told me that hanger and the derailleur looked straight and the cassette shouldn't wobble like that so I could have a bent axle. They are going to look at my bike tomorrow as he said that I couldn't have my bike like that.