Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The death of LBSs as we know them. Reborn as Jiffy LBS?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The death of LBSs as we know them. Reborn as Jiffy LBS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 06:09 AM
thenewjs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I would like the option to purchase a extended warranty with worry free maintenance for a set amount of time and the option to re-up at the end of the warranty period.
Old 02-24-18, 03:33 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by thenewjs
I would like the option to purchase a extended warranty with worry free maintenance for a set amount of time and the option to re-up at the end of the warranty period.
Why?
Bikes are not that complicated and not much goes wrong.
Maintenance is usually due to normal wear and tear which isn't going to get covered by a warranty.
Or are you hoping for a warranty that covers tyres, chains, cassettes, cables etc?
Old 02-24-18, 04:00 PM
thenewjs

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Why?
Bikes are not that complicated and not much goes wrong.
Maintenance is usually due to normal wear and tear which isn't going to get covered by a warranty.
Or are you hoping for a warranty that covers tyres, chains, cassettes, cables etc?
When I purchased my CAAD12 new, I purchased a extended warranty that covered chains, cassettes, cables etc. for 3 yrs IIRC. They also provided free adjustments for the first year. Its just piece of mind.

For an additional fee they would cover tires but I can do those on my own so I didnt get that.
Old 02-24-18, 04:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
When I purchased my CAAD12 new, I purchased a extended warranty that covered chains, cassettes, cables etc. for 3 yrs IIRC. They also provided free adjustments for the first year. Its just piece of mind.
How much did you pay for "peace of mind," and did you still have to bring the bike to them, or did they come to you?
Old 02-24-18, 04:19 PM
thenewjs

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
How much did you pay for "peace of mind," and did you still have to bring the bike to them, or did they come to you?
$150 and i ride down the street to them.
Old 02-24-18, 04:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

$150 and i ride down the street to them.
What exactly did they do for $50 per year?
Old 02-24-18, 04:36 PM
thenewjs

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What exactly did they do for $50 per year?
True my wheels as needed,the brakes cables have broken a couple times, replaced broken a few dozen spokes from some falls.

Drive train replacement after I ran over a snake and I have another one more replacement left, replaced the spidering.

Repack bearings in the bottom bracket and replaced hubs

I ride a minimum of 30 miles a day so my bike goes through it.
Old 02-24-18, 05:01 PM
Maelochs

You abuse your bike for sure ... I commuted about that amount and more and didn't do that much damage ... but yes, in your case I think (just my opinion) that you made a wise choice.
Old 02-27-18, 09:38 AM
bp2k8

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Consider a mobile bike repair service. You'll have no floor space to rent and can charge a premium for the convenience.

Even if labor was free it usually wouldn't make sense to drive to a shop for drop off and pickup, with that taking more time than doing the work yourself.
Just set up shop on a major bike trail near your area and embrace customers Maybe have a nice vintage bike or well maintained bike for eye candy to catch people's peripheral vision.

Then you choose when to to go home depending on rider amount vs day and evening.
Old 02-28-18, 07:38 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Inventory can be an issue for those buyers who wish to purchase 20 tires at a time.

However, it doesn't exclude small shops who might want to list say ONE of each. Throw it up on E-Bay. When it sells, replenish.

The biggest risk, of course, is if 1000 new small Mom&Pop shops start selling on the internet, then competition will get intense, and people will be dropping that one penny to be the lowest, only to find their neighbor matching and dropping another penny.

Of course, I often look at lowest price, but other things like combined shipping, and delivery times will also influence my decision.

The other issue is competing with oneself. It would be hard to justify listing a derailleur on E-Bay for $50, and having it hanging in the shop for $100. And what about those sellers that find the shop on E-Bay, and insist on paying and walking in to pick up?

Of course, having greater inventory depth would benefit both online and the local shop. So, not only choosing one line of parts to carry, but to carry everything from Tourney to Dura Ace would benefit both online customers and local customers.

Having an online shop (not E-Bay) allows loss leaders. Tempt buyers to shop based on low priced chains, for example. But, then just hope they'll also add a few tires to their order at a greater profit margin (to get that free shipping offer with a $100 purchase).
Interesting discussion. I travel some for my job. I have a LBS that I use regularly at home, and one that I frequent when on the road. Spotted a couple of new bikes for my spouse and myself at this out of town LBS. I picked one up for myself, and inquired about the one for my spouse that I was no longer seeing on the floor. They replied that they still had it, but had taken it off the floor because they had it listed on ebay. This was a new bike. When we looked on ebay it was listed well below what the manufacturer would have allowed them to sell it for. When I inquired, they said we could buy it for the ebay price, but needed to realize that it would come without the manufacturers warranty, or we could pay a couple hundred more (the manufacture's discounted price) and get it with the warranty. We opted for the latter since it was a carbon frame. I could see stores following this practice for their bikes/parts that they list on amazon/ebay. If you purchase it for less online, great, you just don't get the store return/warranty service that you get if you come in the store and buy it.
Old 02-28-18, 08:07 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
It does take some time to learn, but for me, that is part of the fun actually. I like tinkering with my bicycle and knowing how it works and how it fits together. It is more like a hobby than a chore.

That being said, back to the original point of a guy paying a bike shop to change his cassette every other week: it would take LESS time for him to learn how to do this simple task himself (takes literally 5 minutes to learn), rather than driving to the bike shop all the time.

At some point, dealing with organizing/paying a "professional" to do it is more hassle than actually just doing it. This goes for a lot of things in life.
I would guess for the individual having the shop swap out his cassette, it is less a time thing, or an inability...he is able to remove his rear wheel to do so, for example, but more likely, he enjoys the experience of shooting the breeze with the guys at his LBS. It's a social outing for something he enjoys, where he can visit other "bike" people. Not so much different than the folks that go to a coffee shop for a basic cup of coffee, or meal at a restaurant. I mean most of us that drink coffee, or eat, can do these things passably well enough for ourselves, but we enjoy eating out, or picking up that coffee to go.
Old 03-02-18, 06:14 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Drive train replacement after I ran over a snake..
Anaconda after a big meal?
Old 03-04-18, 11:17 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Apologies for the long post but I've been thinking about this a lot lately and even thinking of investing in my idea and would appreciate feedback.

Let me begin by saying, I like LBSs and have been around them all my life. I bought my early bikes from them, then I learnt to build bikes with their help, then I was a steady consumer. Hecked I even "volunteered" in one recently (see https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...their-lbs.html).

It was this last stint where I clearly saw the writing on the wall, especially as the employees and owner would often talk about the situation openly. Amazingly this was/is a very popular shop (I won't name them as the volunteering bit will get them in trouble) in a very pro-bike area. So they are in the best possible circumstances and even they know the end is near.

Sales Side

1. As a 1st year "wrench" I could see the two parts to the business service and sales were not evenly match. The sale guy (and the owner) really didn't have much to do all day. Online sales by places like Amazon/BD/Nashbar etc took away a lot of the low level sales and even some high end sales.

2. But those low level bikes (think a $500 Claris equipped road bike) are pretty damn good and don't need much maintenance or even to be upgraded. We'd get a lot of people buying those and asking us to set it up and then we'd never see them again. Claris is only 8 speed, but it works well for a long time.

3. Youtube and professional channels like GMC and Arts Cycle mean even the most mechanically challenged person can put together and tune a bike if they have enough time.

So its a perfect storm of: i) Trickle down effect giving high quality inexpensive components, ii) direct to customer sales and iii) Ample accessible information.

Now with high end manufacturers like Cannon the high end bike market is being eroded. But realistically most LBS would be lucky to sell 2-5 $2000+ bikes a week on average, not enough to even cover the rent. Pre-summer we'd sell 10+ a week, but there were many weeks in the dead of winter where we wouldn't even sell 1.

But there is hope!

Service Side

There was of course one-of-work (move my components from bike x to frameset y) but that's rare. Due to better quality components most people now do *not* bring in their bike for a spring tune let alone a fall one (as I did years ago).

But surprisingly there were people who would want almost weekly work done! We had one customer who would ride hills one week, flats another and religiously he would bring in his very expensive Boyd rear wheel on Friday night and we'd change the cassette for him for Saturday pickup.

There were loads of people like this who wanted us to regularly change tires based on weather, stems, rings, wheel sets etc.

I think its the flip side of cheap online retail. People now have many spare parts to bikes but not the time to change them over. So what these people want is quick turn over which most LBS don't do. The cassette on Friday night guy above was an exception (he'd bring the wrenches a good case of beer every month). Like most shops we'd take in a bike and promise to return it a week later.

So I seriously think the future of most LBSs is to reinvent themselves as a jiffy lube style place. Do routine services in a wait/shop-while-your-served setting and they'll make money. This will require a major rethink of how business is done. i hate to say it, but McDonalizing service is the key. Get one guy specializing in changing tires, another adjusting brakes, another adjusting RD/FD and that's all they do each day and they will do it well and quickly. Most importantly, forecasting would be more accurate. Every week we'd get customers who were promised bikes and due to know fault of him (or us) it would get delayed. It would take some serious groveling from the owner not to loose them.
Your post has to take the cake...at least this week. Let's see, you are a man of unknown qualifications to posit that one of the longest lasting institutions in America...bike shops in major cities will somehow be eclipsed with your version of something new. That's rich.
I think the only thing you got wrong was...bike shops won't be replaced with a jiffy lube style place...but rather by Jiffy peanut butter suppliers. Can't make this stuff up, but you just did. Too much glue sniffing as a child?...lol. Any other zombie apocalypses scenarios? Maybe houses will be turned into factories of solar panels?
Old 03-04-18, 05:35 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Your post has to take the cake...at least this week. Let's see, you are a man of unknown qualifications to posit that one of the longest lasting institutions in America...bike shops in major cities will somehow be eclipsed with your version of something new. That's rich.
I think the only thing you got wrong was...bike shops won't be replaced with a jiffy lube style place...but rather by Jiffy peanut butter suppliers. Can't make this stuff up, but you just did. Too much glue sniffing as a child?...lol. Any other zombie apocalypses scenarios? Maybe houses will be turned into factories of solar panels?
Really?
I didn't get the sense that he was suggesting that ALL bike shops would be replaced by something TOTALLY new and different. Did you even read the rest of the discussion? Seems to me he was just describing a kind of variation or evolution of the business.
Meanwhile, it seems to me there was a time when a bike shop was just as likely to be a lawn mower repair shop. How many of those are still around? Well, I guess it depends where you live, but they're not so common, are they? And one of the biggest bike shops in my neck of the woods seems to have a booming business as an eBay agent - shipping used bikes all over the country for people. Mom and Pop running the bike and lawn mower repair shop didn't do much of that, did they?
Old 03-04-18, 05:51 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Really?
I didn't get the sense that he was suggesting that ALL bike shops would be replaced by something TOTALLY new and different. Did you even read the rest of the discussion? Seems to me he was just describing a kind of variation or evolution of the business.
Meanwhile, it seems to me there was a time when a bike shop was just as likely to be a lawn mower repair shop. How many of those are still around? Well, I guess it depends where you live, but they're not so common, are they? And one of the biggest bike shops in my neck of the woods seems to have a booming business as an eBay agent - shipping used bikes all over the country for people. Mom and Pop running the bike and lawn mower repair shop didn't do much of that, did they?
Where is the disagreement? OP believes bike shops are going to turn into Jiffy lubes...which is preposterous proposition that goes right over your head. And why can't a bike shop turn into a jiffy lube equivalent? Oh...gee...it may have something to do with...to troubleshoot a Di2 failure...to re-true a wheel or recable a bike including straighten a bent rear derailleur hanger...and rewrap a handle bar...just may take more time than a drive thru. What a concept. Whoops, when straightening the derailleur hanger its snapped. I wonder how long the Jiffy lube line is going to be to wait 3 days for a new hanger. Darn it. Mechanic thought that wheel could be trued...but two bad spokes...man, the line is going to be down the street before the new spokes arrive from out of state. And then what happens? Oh no. Can't be. A local bike shop devolves into what it currently is with a fixed staff when demand exceeds supply. The bike must be dropped off for repair. How unforeseen that a bike shop will never become a jiffy lube. Nor will a local auto dealership...or an independent Porsche mechanic. Both in case you don't know perform oil changes like a Jiffy lube. Sometimes even as quickly...but with one big but. Jiffy lubes don't change engines or diagnosis catastrophic electric failures.

Last edited by Campag4life; 03-04-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 06:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
True my wheels as needed,the brakes cables have broken a couple times, replaced broken a few dozen spokes from some falls.

Drive train replacement after I ran over a snake and I have another one more replacement left, replaced the spidering.

Repack bearings in the bottom bracket and replaced hubs

I ride a minimum of 30 miles a day so my bike goes through it.
How in the world do you run over a snake?
Old 03-04-18, 06:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It's one guy with a wife and two kids...come on! It's not like he's going a mile underground mining ore.
Old 03-04-18, 08:03 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where is the disagreement? OP believes bike shops are going to turn into Jiffy lubes...which is preposterous proposition that goes right over your head. And why can't a bike shop turn into a jiffy lube equivalent? Oh...gee...it may have something to do with...to troubleshoot a Di2 failure...to re-true a wheel or recable a bike including straighten a bent rear derailleur hanger...and rewrap a handle bar...just may take more time than a drive thru. What a concept. Whoops, when straightening the derailleur hanger its snapped. I wonder how long the Jiffy lube line is going to be to wait 3 days for a new hanger. Darn it. Mechanic thought that wheel could be trued...but two bad spokes...man, the line is going to be down the street before the new spokes arrive from out of state. And then what happens? Oh no. Can't be. A local bike shop devolves into what it currently is with a fixed staff when demand exceeds supply. The bike must be dropped off for repair. How unforeseen that a bike shop will never become a jiffy lube. Nor will a local auto dealership...or an independent Porsche mechanic. Both in case you don't know perform oil changes like a Jiffy lube. Sometimes even as quickly...but with one big but. Jiffy lubes don't change engines or diagnosis catastrophic electric failures.
What I don't understand - the only thing that seems to be "over my head," as you say - is your tone. It's as if the prospect of bicycle service stations, independent of the conventional notion of a bike shop, was some sort of personal threat. Seems to me the choice of words in the title and original post were more rhetorical than anything. Perhaps your argument is more rhetorical than earnest, too?

In any event, the idea of varying and evolving business models isn't exactly rocket science. Besides, the conversation here isn't really all that "revolutionary," and it's not entirely about bike shops after all, either.
Old 03-05-18, 04:47 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
What I don't understand - the only thing that seems to be "over my head," as you say - is your tone. It's as if the prospect of bicycle service stations, independent of the conventional notion of a bike shop, was some sort of personal threat. Seems to me the choice of words in the title and original post were more rhetorical than anything. Perhaps your argument is more rhetorical than earnest, too?

In any event, the idea of varying and evolving business models isn't exactly rocket science. Besides, the conversation here isn't really all that "revolutionary," and it's not entirely about bike shops after all, either.
The OP's proposition which has 0 substance and you oddly support and I present the reason why current bike shops will never morph into quick service drive in an go shops because everything intrinsic to the jiffy lube business model is antithetical to how a brick and mortar bike shop operate and so you result to the straw man 'tone' card? Really kbarch? Make no mistake, as you look forward, you forget to look back and even identified how bike shops have evolved over time and I explain the reasons why the OP's proposal won't work and now you say its my tone. And no kbarch, wrong again, I perhaps have less interest in this subject than people who need bike shops. I don't. All business model paradigms evolve over time. More brick and mortar retail outlets will close over time due the internet and 'virtual shopping' which will grow more sophisticated. People will be able to walk through 'virtual shops' on their computer. Take me. I never walk into a bike shop or rarely. I know more than they do about bikes. I have never had my bike serviced at a bike shop. I end up fixing their common mistakes...mostly poor derailleur set up and indexing. Back to the time I was riding and 10 years old pre internet, I used a local bike shop for their parts only. So if bike shops closed tomorrow, it would not bother me as nice as the people are that work there. People however need bike shops. If my girl friend or friends didn't have me, they would have to take their carbon road bike to a bike shop. Bike shops have a need. Most people have to leave their bike because drive in and go isn't practical from a time stand point. You can't tune up a bike, true wheels, change a cassette and chain, maybe regrease the BB and/or steerer in 20 minutes with a drive thru operation. It isn't feasible. Sometimes bikes have to be left for 3 days. Bike shops can't support 20 mechanics on duty working feverishly on bicycles that need repair. Some bikes with cracked carbon frames under warranty need to be stripped completely down with parts cataloged for a given customer and the frame needs to be shipped to the mfr. This all takes time.

Further, if a rogue rider is riding across the country and his derailleur cable snaps and rides into a local bike shop, most shops will fix it on the spot. Don't need a jiffy lube business model for this.

Hard to say how brick and mortar bike shops will evolve moving forward. Some will close and a few will open. But they are the way they are today 'for a reason' including the couple I have in town where I live. They provide a service. Yes, some customers wish they could work faster and turn their bikes around in a day, but in many cases this isn't practical for reasons explained. A local bike shop could not support the inventory or mechanic staff financially to work more quickly. Most do the best they can within their framework of their business plan which limits their staff to turn a profit. Bicycle maintenance isn't changing the oil or a car wash. It is more involved than that though far from the complexity of the world I worked in which is creating product...especially on higher end bicycles moving to more integration where routing cables is now far from routine.

Hope that clears it up for you. No idea why you could support the OP's proposition which is transparently a false premise. All things evolve kbarch and bike shops will as well...just not in the direction of a jiffy lube or even turn into a church or a grocery store or a fire station...lol.

Last edited by Campag4life; 03-05-18 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 05:07 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Around here (Baltimore/Washington area of US) it has been more like the rebirth of the LBS vs. the death. The commodity "sell kiddie bikes and cheap mountain bikes to the parents" bike shops have been killed by the Walmarts of the world selling bikes, but the full service "sell and service good road/mountain/cruising bikes" are thriving or at least expanding. It is kind of what happened to books stores when Amazon started up and the big box stores starting selling bestseller books - we now have more, smaller bookshops with interesting books and fewer huge ones - better than ever for me.

John P.
Old 03-05-18, 06:09 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Around here (Baltimore/Washington area of US) it has been more like the rebirth of the LBS vs. the death. The commodity "sell kiddie bikes and cheap mountain bikes to the parents" bike shops have been killed by the Walmarts of the world selling bikes, but the full service "sell and service good road/mountain/cruising bikes" are thriving or at least expanding. It is kind of what happened to books stores when Amazon started up and the big box stores starting selling bestseller books - we now have more, smaller bookshops with interesting books and fewer huge ones - better than ever for me.

John P.
Yes...and if you think about it, what shops will survive because so much stuff can be bought on line? Big brick and mortar retailers are struggling. It will be service oriented businesses you mention including bike shops as bikes become more and more sophisticated which they have. Most can't afford to send their $5K bike back to Trek if it doesn't shift right...in time or money. Most of us can buy a $5K bike on line, but how many can troubleshoot Di2 if the rear derailleur stops working? Or replace spokes, or fix a freehub ratchet that won't catch?...or recable a bike with interior cable routing? This takes technical skill and those that have this at home are in the vast minority.

Service industries even in our throw away society will still prosper. Demand meet supply. Even the computer industry needs a local service shop. Yes, computers are mostly throw away...I built mine and mine isn't however ...but most store bought computers are. But a quick check isn't a bad thing. No a motherboard will no longer be replaced by a local repair shop..but maybe new RAM sticks will and a hard drive can still be replaced. And many can't figure out how to transfer files from their old hard drive onto a new computer. My mother can't for example. So service shops for those products you don't throw in the trash...even watch shops are still necessary even though you can buy a $7K Rolex Submariner on line.

Last edited by Campag4life; 03-05-18 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 06:20 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never walk into a bike shop or rarely. I know more than they do about bikes. I have never had my bike serviced at a bike shop. Ever.
OK. This explains why you know so much about how bike shops work.
Further, if a rogue rider is riding across the country and his derailleur cable snaps and rides into a local bike shop, most shops will fix it on the spot. Don't need a jiffy lube business model for this.
But why would this shop that fixes a derailleur cable on the spot need to have dozens of brand new bicycles on the floor, lining the walls and up in the rafters? This is the thing: if you spent any time in typical bike shops, you would see the facts of the matter: most LBS traffic is about snapped derailleur cables - repairs and routine maintenance - already. Trouble is, in many cases, they don't do it as efficiently as they might, partly because the new bikes and the salesmen just get in the way.
The OP did get sort of carried away with the details, which may not all have been very realistic, but what is interesting is his suggestion that bicycle shops dedicated to repair and maintenance may be more viable than shops that emphasize new bike sales. I think that's the baby you're throwing out with all the bathwater of the lengthy original post.
Old 03-05-18, 07:28 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OK. This explains why you know so much about how bike shops work.

But why would this shop that fixes a derailleur cable on the spot need to have dozens of brand new bicycles on the floor, lining the walls and up in the rafters? This is the thing: if you spent any time in typical bike shops, you would see the facts of the matter: most LBS traffic is about snapped derailleur cables - repairs and routine maintenance - already. Trouble is, in many cases, they don't do it as efficiently as they might, partly because the new bikes and the salesmen just get in the way.
The OP did get sort of carried away with the details, which may not all have been very realistic, but what is interesting is his suggestion that bicycle shops dedicated to repair and maintenance may be more viable than shops that emphasize new bike sales. I think that's the baby you're throwing out with all the bathwater of the lengthy original post.
Difference between your position and mine? You have no baby to throw out..lol.
Waiting anxiously for your Jiffy Lube bike service. Hey, look at the possibilities. I am sure a franchise will be in the works! Brilliant stuff.
Old 03-05-18, 08:55 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Difference between your position and mine? You have no baby to throw out..lol.
Waiting anxiously for your Jiffy Lube bike service. Hey, look at the possibilities. I am sure a franchise will be in the works! Brilliant stuff.
Let me put this more plainly: if you weren't so blindly contemptuous, but took occasion to notice what bike shops (as opposed to a sporting goods stores) are actually like, you would realize that functional convenience repair/maintenance shops for bikes already exist, they just haven't been systematically organized.
Old 03-05-18, 11:25 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Let me put this more plainly: if you weren't so blindly contemptuous, but took occasion to notice what bike shops (as opposed to a sporting goods stores) are actually like, you would realize that functional convenience repair/maintenance shops for bikes already exist, they just haven't been systematically organized.
Not systematically organized?...you mean they aren't part of the Boy Scouts of America? Now that is rich.That was plain? More like ambiguous to further obfuscate your ridiculous position. First you talked about tone and now you are resorting to gibberish to bury your non point.

I'm out for the thread. The OP's proposition was ridiculous and any adherence that there is any credence to this direction of future bike shops is absurd for the reasons I stated. Repairing a bicycle in the time it takes to wait in line isn't even crudely analogous to a routine job like change the oil or an air filter on a car...or wiper blades.

Now you carry on kbarch. Great comedy. I'm out because your last post was only more nonsense. If you made a cogent point and you haven't from the start, I would respond in kind but you basically engaged me from the beginning merely to argue without substance.

Last edited by Campag4life; 03-05-18 at 02:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.