Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dan Martin Zipperless Jersey Champion System

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-13-18, 12:32 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I applaud him for going against tradition possibly starting a new trickle down trend. I can appreciate the variety of fashionable zippered jersey kits out there, but, I think there's room in the market for more zipperless offerings that might appeal to those that might not want to look so roadie. Thoughts?
Old 07-13-18, 12:36 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
And here I thought the 3/4 length zipper was the dumbest "innovation" in cycling apparel.
Old 07-13-18, 12:53 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
After all, for a roadie, there's nothing worse than looking like a roadie?
Old 07-13-18, 01:01 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
And here I thought the 3/4 length zipper was the dumbest "innovation" in cycling apparel.
I still find 3/4 length the most comfortable and you don't get the weird bunching at the bottom that you get with some full length zippers, but most of my jerseys have full length zippers for the convenience.
Old 07-13-18, 01:04 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I still find 3/4 length the most comfortable and you don't get the weird bunching at the bottom that you get with some full length zippers, but most of my jerseys have full length zippers for the convenience.
This mostly relates to the jersey being cut too long for the rider's torso, when in a riding position....not the zipper being there (or not). Remove the zipper, and that jersey on that rider would still have ripples on the front.

I find most standard roadie jerseys are cut so they look good standing up vertical (as in a cycling catalog ad)...rather than when hunched over on a drop bar.
Old 07-13-18, 04:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A zipperless jersey is more difficult to take off when sweaty.

I can't imagine trying to get a zipperless jersey off at home after a ride.
Old 07-13-18, 04:32 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
A zipperless jersey is more difficult to take off when sweaty.

I can't imagine trying to get a zipperless jersey off at home after a ride.
Ha! I play that game with my base layers, feel like I'm going to dislocate a shoulder sometimes
Old 07-13-18, 04:38 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
It's a $150 T-shirt.

-Bandera
Old 07-13-18, 04:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah, no.

I'm a roadie who rides roads where it's typically 105F in the summer. A full length zipper is non-negotiable for me.
Old 07-13-18, 08:39 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I will only buy full zip jerseys. I don't care how they may look on me, its after the ride you realize how nice it is to get the thing off.

I have a couple of 3/4 length zipped jerseys that I only wear if I absolutely have to. I almost dislocate a shoulder every time I take them off.
Old 07-13-18, 08:41 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Is this weight driven or advertising space driven?
Old 07-13-18, 08:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Is Dan Martin maybe nobibs?

-Tim-
Old 07-13-18, 11:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Also, ChampSys is TERRIBLE. We had it as a team kit one year and it was the worst. Zippers broke, chamois like sandpaper, weird sizing.
Old 07-14-18, 12:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Full-zip ONLY. I have a couple of 3/4-zip jerseys, and they simply do not get worn. No zipper is nonsense.
Old 07-14-18, 05:04 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
Also, ChampSys is TERRIBLE. We had it as a team kit one year and it was the worst. Zippers broke, chamois like sandpaper, weird sizing.
I have a couple of their jerseys, and they don't seem any worse than any others I've gotten as team kit and the like. They aren't fancy, but I figure they didn't want to make people pay top dollar for a jersey they were obligated to wear. When the team switched brands, they went with something that seems kind of overbuilt. The one bad zipper I have on a jersey is from Giordana, which is normally good stuff. Not their top-of-the-line kit, though - just a shop jersey.

As for zipperless or 3/4, I don't mind the 3/4, but can't imagine not being able to unzip at all for ventilation on a climb.
Old 07-14-18, 05:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Full zip = so easy to get on/off even when wet from sweat

3/4 zip = damn thing to get on/off when dry or wet

NO ZIP = NO WAY since I'm not a contortionist

Not getting paid to look good so bumps/folds here or there = I really don't care
Old 07-14-18, 06:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
After all, for a roadie, there's nothing worse than looking like a roadie?
This whole "not wanting to look like what you are" seems to be exclusive to bicycle sports. Triathletes are also very eager to not look like triathletes (I know y'all will have a stack of jokes about that). Runners and swimmers though? There's basically zero market for running or swimming outfits that look like standard casual wear. I don't understand the horror of looking like you dressed appropriately for your sport.
Old 07-14-18, 07:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If I were on a team that's management was telling me to make certain the jersey is zipped up so the sponsor's logo was displayed properly, I might tell them to give me a zipperless jersey just to keep them from griping at me when I'm at the line and the zipper sticks or I simply forget.

It is nice to be able to completely unzip it to remove it whether sweaty or not. I don't have soignées to help me after a long sweaty ride.
Old 07-14-18, 03:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I didn't appreciate full length zippers until my shoulder was injured. Several weeks later, after my first outdoor ride since the injury, I was struggling painfully to dislodge myself from a pullover jersey with collar zipper.

Next day I bought a jersey with full length zipper. Much easier.
Old 07-14-18, 04:30 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
This whole "not wanting to look like what you are" seems to be exclusive to bicycle sports. Triathletes are also very eager to not look like triathletes (I know y'all will have a stack of jokes about that). Runners and swimmers though? There's basically zero market for running or swimming outfits that look like standard casual wear. I don't understand the horror of looking like you dressed appropriately for your sport.
It's pretty easy to be an avid and enthusiastic cyclist without being particularly sport-minded - it's a much more social activity that swimming, that's for sure. Triathletes, I have no idea what they're supposed to look like anyhow, so I wouldn't know whether they were trying to look like something else or not.
I don't know any racers who are eager to not look like racers, but the folks whose idea of a race is a town-line sprint - that's another matter. If snug fit, a chamois, and small-of-the-back pockets are all one wants from cycling gear, why does the whole outfit need to look like a sponsored pro's when one isn't a sponsored pro - if one just wants to spend a few hours on the bike and get a coffee and pie with some friends?
Old 07-14-18, 04:43 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
It's pretty easy to be an avid and enthusiastic cyclist without being particularly sport-minded - it's a much more social activity that swimming, that's for sure. Triathletes, I have no idea what they're supposed to look like anyhow, so I wouldn't know whether they were trying to look like something else or not.
I don't know any racers who are eager to not look like racers, but the folks whose idea of a race is a town-line sprint - that's another matter. If snug fit, a chamois, and small-of-the-back pockets are all one wants from cycling gear, why does the whole outfit need to look like a sponsored pro's when one isn't a sponsored pro - if one just wants to spend a few hours on the bike and get a coffee and pie with some friends?
The statement was "not wanting to look so roadie". Nothing about looking like a racer, nothing about a million brands, which can be avoided with lycra and zippers. Usually the "not want to look like a cyclist" means wanting clothes that look like khaki or basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

Triathletes, the stereotype is a visor or headsweats hat. To the point where a few years ago everyone decided to start wearing trucker hats to "not look like a triathlete", only now 95% of triathletes wear trucker caps and just look like skinny rednecks. And now that's what triathletes look like.
Old 07-14-18, 05:09 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The statement was "not wanting to look so roadie". Nothing about looking like a racer, nothing about a million brands, which can be avoided with lycra and zippers. Usually the "not want to look like a cyclist" means wanting clothes that look like khaki or basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

Triathletes, the stereotype is a visor or headsweats hat. To the point where a few years ago everyone decided to start wearing trucker hats to "not look like a triathlete", only now 95% of triathletes wear trucker caps and just look like skinny rednecks. And now that's what triathletes look like.
Ok, I get the picture!

As far as "not wanting to look so roadie," I think it's similar to not wanting to look too "pro" .... It's not so much about signaling that one isn't one of "those roadies" but more about signaling that one is just out for fun, socializing, or something other than sport, fitness, perfecting form and paceline skills, or whatever it is that "serious cyclists" are about. They just don't want to give up everything that cycling kit offers. Who knows: maybe they really are more keen on playing basketball. I mean, that's why I would be interested in such stuff. But whenever I want to do something like that (typically in winter), I just wear street clothes and deal with the inconvenient pockets and so forth.
Old 07-14-18, 05:16 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
How many strava watts do you gain without the weight of a zipper?
Old 07-14-18, 06:08 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
In my area the roadies are trying to look as pro as possible, down to the matching socks. I can't remember the last time I have seen a rider in a plain jersey without something printed on it. I see plenty riding 5-6 days a week with a different perfectly matching kit for each day. Some even appear to have a matching helmet for each of those kits. Maybe all of those bright kits are needed since most of the bikes I see are dull, ugly matte black.

I don't see many triathletes with loose shirts or sleeves on them.

Last edited by seypat; 07-14-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 07:08 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, no.

I'm a roadie who rides roads where it's typically 105F in the summer. A full length zipper is non-negotiable for me.
Back in the day when I was a young strong lean machine not 52...I went sans shirt.at times

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.