Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When approaching a red light, do you...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When approaching a red light, do you...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 06:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Most didn't read the OP, but instead responded to the thread title.
I can't even recall when I had the situation described by OP.
wut,
Old 09-18-18, 06:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Well for starters there is no checking the cross lights as the light is in the distance. Do you continue until you can assess the intersection or do you start slowing?
I nearly always know long before I get to intersection when it will change. The OP is a very rare hypothetical.

Normally cyclists can see light cycles well ahead of time, or see the crosswalk countdown, or see cross traffic slowing, or see a long line of waiting traffic, etc. But to have no idea, just a red light in the distance?

So you're at speed. And in the distance you see a red light. At this point you don't know how long the light has been red. It could have just changed or it could be changing to green any moment. What do you do?
If in the distance the only choice then is to keep pedaling until you can assess the light and intersection.
Old 09-18-18, 07:52 PM
30MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i see the red light in advance and knowing with my current speed would force me to a full stops i would start braking earlier before reaching the traffic lights by carefully adjusting my speed so that when the light turns green i would not need to unclip shoe from my pedal and cycle on forward

Edited :
on a side note : some traffic light do have count down timer that would be easier to guesstimate the time it will turn to green

Last edited by 30MB; 09-18-18 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 07:58 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I ride in the AM when its dark. I slow and look for lights. Its 0400hrs so not much traffic... except cops and meth heads.
Old 09-18-18, 09:07 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Keep my foot clipped in at any cost.

It's 10 times harder to get going while trying to clip your foot in, and usually the more you struggle to get your foot in while getting up to speed, the less likely the pedal and cleat are to successfully engage. I won't give up and unclip until I have no choice. It helps a lot to be able to see the lights changing so I don't unclip just as it changes. That is definitely one of my pet peeves.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
uncleat my left foot. does that help?
These are interesting. I have to say, it may be harder for some people to get going while trying to clip in, but that's something I guess I've practiced a lot more. Sometimes I'll just goof around seeing how fast I can go one legged kicking the other pedal around just to practice getting going while not being able to clip in. Meanwhile, I can't do track stands, and unlike a couple of riding mates, am extremely clumsy starting off from holding onto something while clipped in. Another thing I've lost the ability to do with any grace is unclip my left foot first. When I first started, I was advised to practice both ways, and I did, but I eventually fell into the habit of only unclipping right, because I usually have a curb, I guess. Now I'm almost afraid to try. Really need to start doing more bike handling drills....

Well for starters there is no checking the cross lights as the light is in the distance. Do you continue until you can assess the intersection or do you start slowing?
I nearly always know long before I get to intersection when it will change. The OP is a very rare hypothetical.
Normally cyclists can see light cycles well ahead of time, or see the crosswalk countdown, or see cross traffic slowing, or see a long line of waiting traffic, etc. But to have no idea, just a red light in the distance?
If in the distance the only choice then is to keep pedaling until you can assess the light and intersection.
In the normal course of most peoples rides it may be rare, but the situation described is where the question may be most urgent.
For example, on the ride up 9W, just before the NY state line, there is a good descent that bends around to the right and bottoms out at a signaled T-intersection. There is a sign suspended over the road as one approaches it blindly, warning cars of the signal ahead, and it will flash when the light is red. Some will watch this carefully and modulate their speed so they don't get stuck behind a red signal. But because the traffic only turns onto the road from the left and cannot cross, a lot of cyclists will blow through the red light, especially solo, even when there are cars turning onto the same lane, because even though the shoulder itself is quite narrow, there really is plenty of room. And it is SOOO tempting; it's one of the few places where an ordinary B- or even C- level rider can exceed 20mph uphill - to the top of the rise at the state line on the other side of the intersection. Approaching the same intersection from the other side, there's a good climb before one gets to State Line and the top of that bowl, but again, because of the very broad sort of chicane in the course of the highway, there's also a bend to the right blocking ones view of the intersection, and a sign suspended over the road. However, because this way the traffic does cross the cyclists path, you really want to pay attention to that sign. A lot of people will just take the opportunity to rest at the top of the hill, then watch the sign over the road. Once it says the signal is red, they get ready, and a few seconds later, take off, so by the time they get close to the bottom, it's green. The last thing you want is to head down to the intersection and get a red light, because it's another uphill slog on the other side.

Last edited by kbarch; 09-18-18 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 09:16 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Funny, I didn't get that impression. I reread all the posts and thought most responses directly addressed the question in OP.
Yup, I felt that most of the responses were helpful. So thanks!
Old 09-19-18, 10:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
may be harder for some people to get going while trying to clip in.
guess I have a handicap using pedals w cleats on just 1 side & a big flat on the opposite side. I can re-cleat after passing the intersection
Old 09-19-18, 10:35 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Some local towns have new countdown timers on the cross walk, counting down the seconds. For some towns, when it hit zero, it's the switch from green to yellow. That's perfect, I can see 8,7,6 on the timer, and decide to accelerate or coast! But some towns changed to hit zero with 8 or 10 seconds to go, so walkers have time to cross even when the timer is at 1 second. That's not as helpful for bikes, but I suppose I could mentally count down from there.

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Keep my foot clipped in at any cost.

It's 10 times harder to get going while trying to clip your foot in, and usually the more you struggle to get your foot in while getting up to speed, the less likely the pedal and cleat are to successfully engage. I won't give up and unclip until I have no choice. It helps a lot to be able to see the lights changing so I don't unclip just as it changes. That is definitely one of my pet peeves.
With two sided SPD pedals, I can unclip at the very last instant before stopping. And when the light goes green, I just do a no-look stomp and go. Then I have the option to stand up and sprint across the intersection. I might miss the clip-in one time out of 10, but I can still pedal a revolution or two and then clip it in. It's great for city riding.
Old 09-19-18, 07:43 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Coasting would mean my average riding speed would drop so nope , I keep on pedaling until I get to the light. If it's still red, I stop, otherwise it depends on the intersection activity at what speed I'll cross.
Old 09-19-18, 08:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Slowing down to any speed above walking in order to make the light without actually stopping, will be faster than speeding up to the intersection and stopping abruptly. Nothing consumes more time than accelerating from a standstill.
Old 09-20-18, 08:35 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll pedal until the last moment when on discs. When on rim brakes, I slow much earlier. This works best for me given my mass and the frequency of rain here, both for safety margins and due to the hand pressure required for hard stops on rim brakes.

I realize you may be different, so before you reply with how and why you think this is ridiculous, let me remind you that you're free to keep doing whatever you do, and my choice is no actual threat to your lifestyle or preferences.
Old 09-20-18, 09:20 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I do this:

-check my 6 for traffic
-maintain speed
-begin to own lane closer I get to the red light (using hand signal pointing into my spot)
-brake at the light

If the light changes to green, I'll accelerate to a "pursuit" effort and if it's flat that could be 25 to 30 mph. I'll still own the lane closer to the light IF it is an intersection where people might do a right-hook on me by them passing and stopping to turn right. And give space in front of myself in case a car does forget and slams brakes to make a right with me behind them.

That's how I roll.

Also, when stopped at a light, I own a spot just like a car. Too many cars don't respect your space if you stop too far to the right. I also don't stop inches from the car in front. I give enough space to prevent getting squashed. You're afraid of getting squashed, so people slide right. But you won't get squashed if you leave enough space.

Then, as traffic passes through the intersection, I'll move back over once through. They can't go faster than you in the intersection anyway.
Old 09-20-18, 09:32 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Depends more on the traffic than anything else. I want the best situation at the intersection if I can get it - nobody passing on my left, what's in the left turn lane facing me, what's going on with "right on red" drivers there, etc.
Old 09-20-18, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Where I ride, I have a street turning off on the left side * , so at the red light , I use the green on the cross street.
then turn off from left side, (it is one way) , of the left lane..

* Main route, US 30, bends to the right there, so side street is actually continuing straight ahead.

From that point , westward, it's 4 lanes, curb to curb..
Old 09-20-18, 11:44 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28610 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
The OP is a very rare hypothetical.
It's not that rare.
Old 09-20-18, 11:44 AM
Bomb Komodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So you're at speed. And in the distance you see a red light. At this point you don't know how long the light has been red. It could have just changed or it could be changing to green any moment. What do you do?

Do you continue to pedal at speed on to (maybe?) have to mash the brakes to stop at the light. Or do you slow your peddling down - coasting even - so that if you do stop it's you're not burning off wasted effort.

Just curious. This of course assumes you're riding solo.
i usually gear down a click, soft pedal and see if i can stay clipped in.

It honestly depends on the intersection. If its a real busy one, im slowing down and unclipping. Not worth the risk, plus i dont have too much trouble clipping in fast.
Old 09-20-18, 12:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
It's not that rare.
It is for noisebeam.

In the Phoenix area, most roads are long, straight, and flat. Stoplights are easy to see .5 mile ahead of you, so it's not hard to time them perfectly.
Old 09-20-18, 12:17 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by noodle soup
In the Phoenix area, most roads are long, straight, and flat.
In other parts of the cycling universe the roads are not straight and flat. There aren't crosswalks. You can't see the cross lights until you get close to the intersection. And so on.
Old 09-20-18, 12:25 PM
noodle soup

In other parts of the cycling universe the roads are not straight and flat. There aren't crosswalks. You can't see the cross lights until you get close to the intersection. And so on.
The way the OP stated the question, the light is in the distance.

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So you're at speed. And in the distance you see a red light.
Old 09-20-18, 02:24 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I slow my effort and plan on a stop...TN law allows drivers to be in the intersection when the light turns red
Where do you ride?
Old 09-20-18, 02:36 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by noodle soup
The way the OP stated the question, the light is in the distance.
Distance meaning you don't have to immediately brake.
Old 09-20-18, 03:14 PM
noodle soup

Distance meaning you don't have to immediately brake.
you interpreted it that way, whil noisebeam and I interpreted it as farther off.

In this area, we can usually see stoplights a half mile away.
Old 09-20-18, 03:46 PM
thenewjs

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've learned all the lights on route and i travel teh same route just to know the lights. I normally blow them. I used to stop but i've been nearly ran over trying to get up speed from a dead stop with car behind me. Saw a girl, stopped at a light and fall trying to get up to speed from a light and nearly got ran over.
Old 09-20-18, 06:17 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the more we read here, the more obvious it is that context makes all the difference. Reading others going on about owning the lane, fear of being run over etc., makes me think of certain kinds of situations. But ironically, where I ride with the most traffic lights and the heaviest traffic - midtown Manhattan - I'm probably least worried about a collision, and I will ride super close to cars, trucks and busses, and when there is more than one car trying to turn, half the time I'll cut through them. Thing is, even when it seems like the traffic is moving fast, it really isn't. It only seems so because it is all so close, but even on a 45lb 3-speed Citibike, its easy to keep up. I wouldn't dream of riding a road bike the same way in suburbia.
Old 09-20-18, 07:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Each situation is different. It depends a bit on whether the light is on a timer or a switch, and if I expect it to change. Also how long I anticipate the light will stay green, or how long I expect it to cycle through the light cycle.

There are some lights that I'll see red, maybe 5 blocks ahead, and being red 5 blocks ahead might mean it could go through a full green cycle, and back to red again... so time to either pick up the pace, or slow down????

Or other lights that I know will be red 99% of the time I get there. And, also, seeing the light green will mean it will always be red when I get to it.

I do tend to coast to a stop, and conserve energy a bit. So, coast to lights I expect to be a problem.

I do make some effort to "time" some lights, so I will coast a bit in anticipation I can hit them at light change. However, timing lights in a bike lane can be very dangerous, and so the use of caution is warranted, especially if vehicles are already signalling.

I have one stretch of a half dozen lights timed at about 20 MPH, that I will often hit at speed, sometimes moving into the left lane that has better traffic flow. On a perfect day, one can even catch up to the lights, so hit the first one (10th street) on a yellow, and one can get to the last one (1st/Mill street) just as it turns green.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.