Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Old 06-30-19, 06:19 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Some questions on the pivot bolt.

1. Is the diameter 10mm?
2. How long is the pivot bolt?
3. What are the thread specs?
4. Can someone post a photo of the pivot bolt?
5. When the bike is unfolded and in use, what type of load does the pivot bolt bear?

Thanks
Old 07-08-19, 05:05 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
N + 1 Strikes Again.

Well, it sat on Craigslist for 19 days without a buyer... so I bought it
Pretty much stock, aluminum frame, 132.5 OLD.

Although it came with a Selle Royal SLR Gel Flow saddle.
Likes For Numerozero:
Old 07-11-19, 09:25 AM
Numerozero

Xootr Swift Pivot Bolt

My metric Screw Chek’r says the threads are M6 x 1.0
Originally Posted by anga
Some questions on the pivot bolt.

1. Is the diameter 10mm?
2. How long is the pivot bolt?
3. What are the thread specs?
4. Can someone post a photo of the pivot bolt?
5. When the bike is unfolded and in use, what type of load does the pivot bolt bear?

Thanks

I used a 3/32” punch to drift out the bolt, as it’s a tight fit (as it should be).

Last edited by Numerozero; 07-11-19 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added screw thread picture
Old 07-12-19, 07:45 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Numerozero
Well, it sat on Craigslist for 19 days without a buyer... so I bought it
Pretty much stock, aluminum frame, 132.5 OLD.

Although it came with a Selle Royal SLR Gel Flow saddle.
I just have to say that, although I've never ridden one, I think the Swift has more "pleasing" proportions than most 20" folders--probably because the top tube is straight and nearly level and sits relatively high off the ground--which is part of the reason that it doesn't fold down very small, I guess. I almost bought a used one for myself recently--same model with the rear derailleur--but made the mistake of letting the ad sit too long thinking the seller would lower the price. Oh well, Congratulations! I like that color, too.

Last edited by Headpost; 07-12-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 08:58 PM
laffin_boy

Bikes: Ti Airborne Valkyrie - converted to 650b wheeled "all-road bike" / Vitus 992 converted to 650b / modified Swift folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Version of the Swift

Getting this Swift on the road has been a 6 mo odyssey but i'll spare you most of the gruesome details. The bike in the pics below began as a late version Xootr which is different, IMHO, from most folders in 3 important ways: (A) Peter got the geometry right. Unlike many poorly designed folders with insufficient trail the handling is neutral, confidence inspiring and yet still agile. (B) and it's affordable as a result of Peter's business decision and lack of "Prime Time" popularity. And, finally, (C) it's really heavy. The frame, fork, riser tube and seat tube is just a hair under 10 lbs!

When I got it (used) the complete bike weighted 25lbs. I managed to shed 4 of those lbs so it currently weights just under 21lbs. One of the way I did this was by having a CroMoly fork made for me that's lighter than the 2+ lb fork that came on the bike. And the curved riser / stem is also custom & ti. Seatpost is 31.8 rather than the stock 34mm (which saved almost 9 oz). This is a bike that i'm going to keep in my micro RV to use on trips so it seemed to be a perfect candidate to try out my 1st 1 x 11 drive train. And so far I love it! 11-42 cassette w/ a 52T chainring give me plenty of range for recreational riding. The tires are Tioga PowerBlock S-Spec OS-20 20X1.60 (451 x 41) which, so far, only measure 38mm and are only 260g! Highly recommended. Here's the pics:

Likes For laffin_boy:
Old 07-14-19, 09:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
It's always nice when a project sees the road for the first time. Looks nice! Andy
Old 07-14-19, 11:17 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, looks very nice indeed! Interesting color - anodizing or paint?
Old 07-15-19, 01:34 AM
laffin_boy

Bikes: Ti Airborne Valkyrie - converted to 650b wheeled "all-road bike" / Vitus 992 converted to 650b / modified Swift folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
Wow, looks very nice indeed! Interesting color - anodizing or paint?
Hi Jur!

Neither actually. It's powder coat and the color is "transparent copper" - shiny aluminum base coat with a translucent color coat that gives it an anodized effect.

And the riser / stem is from Titan (long story which i'll tell you by email)

Tom
Old 07-15-19, 09:00 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Very nice work....where did that fork come from and what kind of shim or seat post set up do you have?
Old 07-15-19, 12:40 PM
Numerozero

Nice bike, and a beautiful colour!
Old 07-15-19, 09:33 PM
laffin_boy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12boy
Very nice work....where did that fork come from and what kind of shim or seat post set up do you have?
The fork (i 1/8" threadless steerer) was built for me by Andy Stewart who can be found on the Framebuilding forum and who chimed in with post #3856 above. Highly recommended.

The stock 34mm Xootr / Swift seatpost weighs just under 1.5 lbs! (I think Mel Gibson used one in the main battle scene of Braveheart) I found this on eBay and two of these 31.8 to 34 adapters and saved over 1/2 lb. PM me for install details if you need to.
Old 07-23-19, 02:07 PM
mmoylan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PebbledChin
How do you pack the Swift in your minivan? When I had a saloon, I'd dump the bike wrapped in a blanket on the back seat; it pressed against the rear of the front seat so it couldn't move around. Now I have a minivan, there is nothing to hold the bike tightly in, so it sloshes around. I've tried putting it folded in the front passenger footwell, but it requires enough room to open the door really wide and lots of manipulation. Lately, I've tried placing the bike upright and width-ways across the van, sandwiched between the tailgate and the last row of seats. This works OK, but it needs catching when the tailgate is opened, and I have to be very careful that it doesn't press on a window. There must be a neat or elegant way to carry it. I've seen internal racks for some specific cars, but they rely on taking the bike's front wheel out and clamping the forks into a quick release skewer, but dismantling a folder seems silly, and I get my hands dirty. Who'd have though having more load space would have been a problem?
My preferred fold is to remove the front wheel, then attach the wheel to the track dropout for the rear wheel. then remove the handlebars and hang them on the frame. makes it compact and sturdy to lay on the front fork, the second wheel will help it stand up. The best part is you can now roll the bike, by holding the seat upright and rolling the bike on its front wheel. I would post a pic but I don't have 10 posts.
Old 07-25-19, 12:31 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by laffin_boy
Getting this Swift on the road has been a 6 mo odyssey but i'll spare you most of the gruesome details. The bike in the pics below began as a late version Xootr which is different, IMHO, from most folders in 3 important ways: (A) Peter got the geometry right. Unlike many poorly designed folders with insufficient trail the handling is neutral, confidence inspiring and yet still agile. (B) and it's affordable as a result of Peter's business decision and lack of "Prime Time" popularity. And, finally, (C) it's really heavy. The frame, fork, riser tube and seat tube is just a hair under 10 lbs!

When I got it (used) the complete bike weighted 25lbs. I managed to shed 4 of those lbs so it currently weights just under 21lbs. One of the way I did this was by having a CroMoly fork made for me that's lighter than the 2+ lb fork that came on the bike. And the curved riser / stem is also custom & ti. Seatpost is 31.8 rather than the stock 34mm (which saved almost 9 oz). This is a bike that i'm going to keep in my micro RV to use on trips so it seemed to be a perfect candidate to try out my 1st 1 x 11 drive train. And so far I love it! 11-42 cassette w/ a 52T chainring give me plenty of range for recreational riding. The tires are Tioga PowerBlock S-Spec OS-20 20X1.60 (451 x 41) which, so far, only measure 38mm and are only 260g! Highly recommended. Here's the pics:

Wow! What an interesting Swift build. I'd love to know more of "the gruesome details" behind it. What inspired you? I'm especially interested in your modifications to the rear drop-outs. As I always run a rear derailleur, my one and only minor quibble with my beloved Swift is I'd prefer different drop-outs. I can put up with horizontal ones, but I dislike having to re-adjust the brakes every time I remove the rear wheel.

Anyway, nice job!
Old 07-25-19, 01:54 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Numerozero

My metric Screw Chek’r says the threads are M6 x 1.0

I used a 3/32” punch to drift out the bolt, as it’s a tight fit (as it should be).
Thank you so much for the comprehensive response.
Delayed response due to computer issues.

May I trouble you for 3 further measurements?

1. What is the internal diameter of the recess/aperture into which the pivot bolt fits? See attached figure for clarification.
2. What is the internal depth of this recess from the surface/top of the recess to where it meets the top tube?
3. What is the distance from the surface/top of one recess to the surface/top of the other recess? This is the distance between the two yellow arrows.

Please ask for clarifications if my request is not clear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Swift.pdf (190.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by anga; 07-25-19 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 01:47 PM
Numerozero

Xootr Swift Pivot Hole Inside Diameter

As you can see, a Craftsman 10mm thin wall socket barely fits into the recess. Even my Wera 10mm wicket is too wide.
Old 07-28-19, 02:33 PM
Numerozero

Another Measurement

Outside distance varies due to slanted faces.

This measurement at approximately the middle of the slanted faces..

4mm alone key side, showing the M5 Pitlock Pit Stopper. This deters someone from splitting your frame into to halves (separate review coming).
The distance between the two recesses varies as their outer edges are slanted. The distance between the two’s bottom to bottom can be derived from the bolt dimensions I posted above.
Old 08-10-19, 11:12 AM
ecl4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have a SWIFT and really like the ride. Wheelbase is same as a std hybrid and rides like one.
Old 08-10-19, 03:52 PM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ecl4
Have a SWIFT and really like the ride. Wheelbase is same as a std hybrid and rides like one.
I completely agree. I just got one a few weeks ago and couldn’t believe how solid it felt, just like a standard bike.

Last edited by 2bridges1bike; 08-11-19 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 10:13 AM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Noob questions here, and sorry if this is a double post. My first went poof.

Are all Xootr Swift frames identical, and Xootr achieved S,M,L frames simply by offering various post and stems?

What are the obvious areas to look in a AL frame for fatigue, potential failure? Or is this risk minimal?
Old 08-18-19, 07:49 PM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by abone
Noob questions here, and sorry if this is a double post. My first went poof.

Are all Xootr Swift frames identical, and Xootr achieved S,M,L frames simply by offering various post and stems?

What are the obvious areas to look in a AL frame for fatigue, potential failure? Or is this risk minimal?
Yes, the different sizes were just a reflection of the stems and seat posts. But not all Xootr Swift frames were identical - they changed the design at some point, making it heavier and more durable. I believe the original aluminum frame had issues around where the seat stays meet the seat tube. If you're looking at an older frame, you should definitely check that area carefully. I haven't heard of the later design having issues, but, of course, caveat emptor.
Old 08-18-19, 08:24 PM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trocadile
If you're looking at an older frame, you should definitely check that area carefully.
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2011/12 vintage bike, so later model and Alu frame.
Old 08-19-19, 11:47 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This threaded trailing-link suspension fork from Pacific Cycles is set up for 451 wheels. Has anyone here used it with a Swift (is it size-compatible?) and converted to that wheel size, changing out the brakes?
Old 08-22-19, 10:45 AM
abone

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

When I got it (used) the complete bike weighted 25lbs. I managed to shed 4 of those lbs so it currently weights just under 21lbs. One of the way I did this was by having a CroMoly fork made for me that's lighter than the 2+ lb fork that came on the bike. And the curved riser / stem is also custom & ti. Seatpost is 31.8 rather than the stock 34mm (which saved almost 9 oz). This is a bike that i'm going to keep in my micro RV to use on trips so it seemed to be a perfect candidate to try out my 1st 1 x 11 drive train. And so far I love it! 11-42 cassette w/ a 52T chainring give me plenty of range for recreational riding. The tires are Tioga PowerBlock S-Spec OS-20 20X1.60 (451 x 41) which, so far, only measure 38mm and are only 260g! Highly recommended.
Beautiful build.
Mind my asking where you sourced the 451 wheel sets?
Are the brakes Tektro R556 long reach? Couldn't quite see when I zoomed in on the photo.
Old 08-22-19, 10:36 PM
laffin_boy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful build.
Thank You

Mind my asking where you sourced the 451 wheel sets?
I built them. Used Velocity A23 24H rims that I could only find at Velocity (= expensive) Good rims, light but don't recommend Velocity as a good company to deal with. Unfortunately I bought Shimano Tiagra 36H hubs (skip every 3rd hole) to save $ but they're really heavy hubs. (would go to BikeHubStore.com next time) Bought custom sized Laser / Race Sapim spokes from yojimbo on eBay which aren't cheap either but are light & strong.

Are the brakes Tektro R556 long reach?
They're long reach Tektro R559's - the successor to the 556. Work great on the Swift with 451 wheels.
Old 08-23-19, 09:07 AM
abone

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I built them. Used Velocity A23 24H rims that I could only find at Velocity (= expensive) Good rims, light but don't recommend Velocity as a good company to deal with. Unfortunately I bought Shimano Tiagra 36H hubs (skip every 3rd hole) to save $ but they're really heavy hubs. (would go to BikeHubStore.com next time) Bought custom sized Laser / Race Sapim spokes from yojimbo on eBay which aren't cheap either but are light & strong.
They're long reach Tektro R559's - the successor to the 556. Work great on the Swift with 451 wheels.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.