Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rack-bolted tail lights?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rack-bolted tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 02:34 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Rack-bolted tail lights?

I have no idea why all the manufacturers have gone to rubber mounting only, but this is getting overly irritating looking for a light that I can bolt to my rack. Been to all the cycle shops in Seattle (most of them anyways) and none have a taillight you can bolt to a rack. Anyone know of a taillamp that I can bolt permanently ish, like the old Bontrager Flare lights? Or am I stuck wearing out elastic mounts?
Old 10-11-16, 02:40 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
On my rack there is a bolt hole at the back of it that I had Mcyvered to hold a reflector at one time, but that loosened over time and eventually fell off.

I do have tail lights that are fastened to the bike's tubing via rubber O-rings, but the tubing on the rack is too skinny for this.

I'd be interested in hearing about anything that would work better.
Old 10-11-16, 02:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
B&M has rack-mounted tail lights. Most are for dyno hubs, but there's also this:
Busch & Müller Toplight Line Permanent & Senso - Harris Cyclery bicycle shop - West Newton, Massachusetts
Old 10-11-16, 02:52 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
B&M has rack-mounted tail lights. Most are for dyno hubs, but there's also this:
Busch & Müller Toplight Line Permanent & Senso - Harris Cyclery bicycle shop - West Newton, Massachusetts
Awesome! Is it fairly water resistant? The bike doesn't spend much time inside
Old 10-11-16, 02:56 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by suncruiser
I've been using B&M dyno lights since fall of 2012 in all kinds of weather nearly every day.
Old 10-11-16, 03:29 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Sorry I don't have a better pic of this - it's a Cateye something on an Ibera rack. I don't trust bolts though, so I added tie-wraps.

Old 10-11-16, 03:29 PM
Hugh Morris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Second the b&m taillight; mine has seen all weather use and just survived a deflected (by taco-ing tire) impact from an SUV's front fender.
Old 10-11-16, 04:36 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I made a bracket. The problem for me is that my lights eventually get banged around and damaged, so I don't want to "invest" in an expensive one. The bracket also allows me to recess the light under the rack, similar to what @DiabloScott shows -- so it's less likely to get banged.
Old 10-11-16, 06:05 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I think, perhaps, the reason so many lights now attach with elastic bands is that they are designed to be taken off the bike for recharging, unlike the old lights that you could load with new batteries while they were still on the bike. (I know...obvious answer.)

Anyway, I agree that lights bolted to the rear rack would end up on the side of the road a lot less often.
Old 10-11-16, 06:12 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I bought this from harbor freight. Had to make a bracket to mount it to my rack. So far it has worked real well. The one it replaced had to be removed to turn it off and this one doesn't. I should buy an extra one so when it finally breaks, I don't have to make a new bracket.Red LED Bicycle Taillight

image_12871.jpg

Last edited by baldilocks; 10-11-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-11-16, 06:23 PM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Dinotte taillights
Old 10-11-16, 07:33 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
Yes it is. I have had mine since 2011 and it is going strong. Great light. Mine sees all kinds of weather too, and I rode to Washington DC during Hurricane Irene and met up with a wee bit of rain on that trip.
Old 10-11-16, 07:53 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Here's my setup. The metal bracket is home made, and the light is a Magnic Light which takes the eddy current from the rear rim created by powerful magnets inside the light. No wires, no special attachments, just the light that you see. The supplied bracket mounts to the rear V-brake braze on (road and disk brake versions are available too), but I found that the light was hidden by the rack, fenders and pannier, so I mounted it further back like this. The biggest problem with it like this is that it is vulnerable to being knocked, you can't really see the tape in the picture that holds it together now.

IMG_0003.jpg
Old 10-11-16, 08:22 PM
TheNormanRider

Bikes: IZip E3 Path+, Specialized Diverge A1, GMC Denali, Roadmaster Quarry Ridge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have bolted to my rack a Planet Bike Rack Blinky 5 and two (2) Sunlite TL-L225 lights. They can be found on Amazon very easily, and they do come with a rack mount, though the one with the Sunlite is a little different, but it works.

Here are the lights mounted on my rack:

And here's what I look like from the back at night:

As I said, the Sunlite rack mount is a little different, but works just as well. It allows me to rotate the light in to either a vertical or horizontal stance.

Old 10-11-16, 11:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Planet Bike, Serfas and a couple others make rack mount rear LEDs that are bright enough for nighttime and dim daylight use, and incorporate red reflectors as well.

I have the same Planet Bike Rack Blinky 5 shown above and it's quite bright within a narrow aperture of view -- directly behind the bike, level with a typical car driver's eye line. Subjectively speaking it's as bright as a typical car taillight, but with a much smaller area of glow. So two or more would probably be safer, as well as giving drivers a better visual indication of relative distance and speed.

I like the lights that run on AA or AAA batteries -- they last much longer between battery changes, compared with my USB rechargeables. But I'm planning to add a Cygolite Hotshot 80 or better -- those are bright enough to be seen in daylight too.
Old 10-12-16, 12:16 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Portland Design Works tail lights such as the Radbot 1000 clip securely into a bracket that will bolt to your rack. As I recall it's the same bracket interface the Planet Bike uses, so those would work too. PDW also makes the FenderBot which is designed to be attached even more permanently to a fender.
Old 10-12-16, 12:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I think, perhaps, the reason so many lights now attach with elastic bands is that they are designed to be taken off the bike for recharging
Are you sure it isn't so thieves can rid you of the unnecessary clutter on the back of your bike? (which is a good excuse for the stores to sell you more lights).

Do you have a reflector mount on your rack?

I kind of like the looks of this with reflectors and the rack mount.
Sunlite TL L505 Tail Light Rear Rack Mount City Commuter Urban | eBay

I'm seeing a few like this with the rack mount.
PB Grateful Red 28 Bike LED Flashing Tail Light Reflective Lens Rack Seat Mount | eBay

I'm seeing a few of those T-Shaped rack mounts being sold separately from lights too.
Old 10-12-16, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Anyway, I agree that lights bolted to the rear rack would end up on the side of the road a lot less often.

Strangely enough, the only light I've ever had end up on the side of the road was bolted to my rear rack. The back came off on a particularly nasty railroad crossing. All the others stopped working and I tossed them (another reason to have two or more tail lights at any given time!)

Originally Posted by Walter S
I've been using B&M dyno lights since fall of 2012 in all kinds of weather nearly every day.

Same here, since early winter 2010. I don't know of any reason the battery light should be made any less robust, weatherwise, than the dyno version.
Old 10-12-16, 09:21 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Planet Bike sells a rack mount that many taillights will attach to. I've used it to attach PB Superflash and Portland Design RadBot lights and I'm sure that it fits others.

Taillight Rack Bracket
Old 10-12-16, 11:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
A few days ago at a local hardware store, I saw a guy tying one of these to his load (car trailer).

Emergency 39 LED Triangle Worklight

It wasn't very big, (maybe 4" sides) but I've been meaning to buy a couple for bike trailers and etc.

It doesn't appear that there is a direct stud mount, but I'm sure I can jerry-rig something.
Old 10-13-16, 07:48 AM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I have these Portland Design Works rack brackets on several bikes. I use the PDW Danger Zone tailight.
https://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desi.../dp/B003Z7WIQY
Old 10-13-16, 09:23 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I absolutely will not buy any light that mounts with a rubber strip. No way, no how. I have 4 Cygolite Hotshot lights (2 of the Gen2 models, 2 of the Pro80 brighter models), and have 2 different bikes with the Hotshot rack mount bracket. The Hotshot rack mount bracket is sold separately, unfortunately, but they work great. I've never lost a light out on the road.
Old 10-13-16, 12:53 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@PatrickGSR94 beat me to it.
Came to recommend the Cygolite Hotshot Bracket.
and light.
It's great if you have a Hotshot and a reflector mount on your rack, and worthless otherwise :-).

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 10-13-16, 02:06 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
@PatrickGSR94 beat me to it.
Came to recommend the Cygolite Hotshot Bracket.
and light.
It's great if you have a Hotshot and a reflector mount on your rack, and worthless otherwise :-).
PB sells a version of that for their superflash too. Although I have definitely converted from superflash to cygo hotshot over the last couple years.
Old 10-15-16, 10:27 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If you're ok with changing a AA battery, and don't need a flashing mode, I love the Busch & Müller Toplight Line Permanent -

It puts a straight line of light across the back of your bike which is the best non-blinking solution I've seen by far. Bolts onto your rack. Drawbacks are that it doesn't blink, and that it requires taking the AA battery in and out to recharge it.

I needed to buy a light for a family member, where I'd put a USB charger next to the light so they could plug it in after every ride and not end up with a dead battery because they forgot to recharge it. It also need to bolt onto the back of the rack, because they had a trunk bag on their bag.

I got them the Planet Bike Blinky Superflash USB 0.5W Tail Light and it's work very well for that:
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-B...lanet+bike+usb

You also need the planet bike rack mount -
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-T...ike+rack+mount

And if you have a modern cell charger, the mico usb to mini usb adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buying all this stuff has been kind of annoying, but after that it's been rock solid reliable. Because it's all one piece the light cannot have the back fall off (something I've heard can happen with the AAA battery version). It locks into place well on the back of the bike. Since it's left plugged in it's always charged when they go riding. My only complaint is that it's flashing mode is kind of obnoxious, so it has to be left on steady for group rides. But it's been very reliable and doesn't jump off the bike.

I don't know of a light with a blink mode any more that bolts on directly. Planet Bike used to sell a rack blinky, but they discontinued it and replaced it with another similar looking model which requires the adapter to use with a rack. It wasn't a great model anyways - I had issues with the batteries jiggling loose inside the light and it stopping working (without me knowing) in the middle of a ride, so I wouldn't recommend it. That's not an issue with the usb version.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-15-16 at 10:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.