Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Disappointed by Downtube

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Disappointed by Downtube

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 06:29 PM
spurdy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like Yan has quite a reputation around here, and that's really why I wanted to do business with him. I was really hoping to be just another happy story, but I guess I'm not.

Using the internet excuse just doesn't fly with me. Why should an internet business be any different? I understand that is the reality, but it shouldn't be.

I guess I'm just disappointed by this whole experience, and figured people should know the gambit of experiences with this company, not just the good ones. I wouldn't say I'd NEVER suggest a downtube, but it will sure come with a warning.
Old 07-07-08, 07:44 PM
Great3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeBloke put it better than me in so much less words. That's the way I feel. But glad to hear you can save up a bit more and get a folder that you want. As as Jur said, it sucks, especially when you posted letting us know your excitment, only to be disappointed later. But nonetheless, good luck on your folder purchase, get one when you can and be happy (and before the wife changes her mind on you )
Old 07-07-08, 08:43 PM
Tovar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spurdy,

I think this stock / order problem has something to do with how well the web site is structured:

Downtube as any other small company doesn't seem to have the big software, or a structured stock management software, this implies to know stock availability in REAL TIME, says, the stock in the main office, the stock on the distributors, the coming shipments, and the promised shipments from the china or taiwan manufacturer, and then this should also need to be automatic on the web site, this is a difficult task when buying online, nothing is guaranteed, it is better to call and talk to a representative to find your bike or to tell you that is no more on stock.

The time between website update and REAL stock , depends on labor hours or days, says monday-friday, 8-17 or something like that. The announcement that your bike was shipped, could be automatic, or could be an error.

Unfortunately, Yan already said before that he is running his company as an experiment, so we (the customers) should be the "laboratory rabits" for testing what's OK and what was wrong maybe.

We we buy online we are really taken a big risk, and we hope that everything will be OK.

In my case was OK the bike, arrived a little damaged but the damaged part was provided by downtube.

But I know I took the risk.

What happened with Downtube could also happens to any big or small company, is the same problem, everywhere, over the internet.

Regards
Old 07-08-08, 02:13 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tovar, I do beg to differ on so many things, but to stick to one it doesn't happen with any internet company I have dealt with that I am told something is shipped and then that it isn't in stock. It is wrong to take the money for something you don't or might not have to sell. Period, full stop.
Old 07-08-08, 02:35 AM
oboeterry

Location: I am currently playing 2 months on the national tour of Annie, and starting Feb '10 will be playing 18 months on the national tour of Beauty and the Beast; my stuff lives in a storage unit in Northridge, CA and at a buddy's house in Cedar City, UT :)

Bikes: 2006 Dahon Speed P8 (currently in storage); Bike Friday Season tikit (with all the bells and whistles) :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
This isn't a UK thing, I don't think. The 8HN was not being offered for sale in the UK. Plus, wherever the order was placed from, Yan is in the US, so the holiday issue still holds.
oops... my bad; for some reason (?) I was thinking that DT was in the UK... back to your regularly scheduled banter...

Terry
Old 07-08-08, 03:59 AM
spurdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gringo_Gus- Thanks, that's what I thought. I was beginning to think I'd gone nuts. Though I do understand Yan is a pretty popular guy around here, so a lot of people want to speak out in his favor.

Tovar- I hadn't heard that downtube was an experiment. Though i fail to see how he can still call it an experiment while advertising. Interesting though. I still fail to accept this circumstance as normal. Also, dealing with the internet should be the same as in a store. This wasn't some ebay deal or foreign, back-alley website.
Old 07-08-08, 04:06 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeterry
oops... my bad; for some reason (?) I was thinking that DT was in the UK... back to your regularly scheduled banter...

Terry
If only they were! Only two models from the lineup are even available over here!
Old 07-08-08, 05:35 AM
Tovar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sturdy,

Well this is what I understood here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t=#post6945547

Yan's own words:

*** ... Trust me I don't do this for the money, ... ***

Regards
Old 07-08-08, 05:37 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice to see that someone who is dissatisfied communicates it in a fair minded and rational way. Normally Downtube is a great company and Yan is very obliging. I'd have to say I sympathise with you in this case Spurdy given the facts at our disposal.
Old 07-08-08, 05:51 AM
spurdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE- My faith in the world has been restored! Yan found an 8HN for me! Apparently he had responded to my last offer with one that had been shipped but returned. Crazy internet losing my messages!
Old 07-08-08, 06:03 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
When Yan says "I don't do it for the money", what he means is that he started Downtube to try to provide great bikes at affordable prices in a world that needed them (I have this from the horses mouth). The company actually makes relatively little profit, which is why there are few employees, and it's hard for them to give big discounts when things go wrong. Downtube is a company doing things a different way, dealing direct with consumers, not going through dealers, doing a variety of things to make the bikes as cheap as possible for the end user. He doesn't mean it's "an experiment", except to the extent that all businesses are learning all the time from their mistakes.
Old 07-08-08, 06:56 AM
trueno92
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spurdy
UPDATE- My faith in the world has been restored! Yan found an 8HN for me! Apparently he had responded to my last offer with one that had been shipped but returned. Crazy internet losing my messages!
i guess you can change the thread title again.. maybe:

UN-dissapointed by downtube.

good to hear that as much as mistakes happen, he gives you a fair shake in correcting it.
Old 07-08-08, 07:11 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am glad it has been resolved, and yay for Yan, credit to him for sorting it. I am pleased, selfishly, because DTs are great bikes, and I want to see the business thrive.

On the experiment thing, just as an aside, did I recollect seeing somewhere an indication of how many bikes DT were selling? I might actually start a new thread on this...
Old 07-08-08, 07:24 AM
spurdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trueno92- Instead of changing the title, I added a disclaimer to the first post. I imagine the mods are pretty tired of me to begin with, so I didn't want to bother them again.

Thanks to all for taking the time to listen and respond to me. Didn't want to bash Downtube or anything, just had a problem I didn't believe was being resolved. Figured Yan was a pretty big bikeforums user, so I thought this would either get his attention, or at least give a full account of the procedings. Hopefully I didn't burn any bridges since I figured I was pretty polite and fair overall.

Overall I am plessed by the fact that he took the time to find a mutally beneficially solution and can't wait to see my new 8HN! Hopefully I'll be a new Downtube Apostle!
Old 07-08-08, 08:47 AM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
That is great news, I was bummed about the situation. I rode mine again yesterday after some mods and it rides very nice and the S/A 8 shifts very smooth.

Still have to install the rear tire.
Old 07-08-08, 09:30 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spurdy
UPDATE- My faith in the world has been restored! Yan found an 8HN for me! Apparently he had responded to my last offer with one that had been shipped but returned. Crazy internet losing my messages![/I][/B]
It's possible that that's the 8HN I bought and returned, actually.

My bands:
Old 07-08-08, 10:25 AM
Tovar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neilfein,

You could tell your complete history, could you?, or you already did? what was the reason to return your bike, not a mayor problem I guess.

Regards

PD: Thanks Lalato

neilfein said:
"I ordered a downtube 8HN and I hate it. The handlebars feel wobbly, the shifting is rough, and the bike feels cheap."

Tovar says:

"Received a Downtube 8FS and I love it. The handlebars are nice, the shifting is smooth, and the bike turn heads, wherever I go, I heard a lot of good impressions and feelings!"

Last edited by Tovar; 07-08-08 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-08-08, 10:29 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Tovar, if you click on the link Neil provided, it tells everything.

--sam
Old 07-08-08, 10:56 AM
spurdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neilfein- I don't think it's the same one, only because Yan said this one hadn't been opened. I'll check if your name is carved into the left foot though...
Old 07-08-08, 11:06 AM
v6v6v6

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL, KHS Mocha w/BionX PL350

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
It's possible that that's the 8HN I bought and returned, actually.
"One man's junk is another man's treasure."
Old 07-08-08, 11:41 AM
golden_foldie
actually it's silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a rollercoaster ride! Glad all turned out well for you, spurdy.
Old 07-08-08, 01:20 PM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As always Yan does his best, good to see it worked out. Mad colour scheme dynocaster I'd need my shades on passing you on opposite side of the road lol!
Old 07-08-08, 02:21 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I am looking for a yellow water bottle holder.
Old 07-08-08, 02:32 PM
4cmd3

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Why would you drink yellow water?

How about Profile Design with yellow accents?
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=14866
Old 07-09-08, 02:46 PM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=4cmd3;7023225]Why would you drink yellow water?

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.