Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bib questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 07:50 PM
luvdemtigers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bib questions...

I saw a post about bibs vs shorts and didnt wanna hijack it so, here is a question about bibs. I have a pair and when I put them on, it seems to pull me forward almost like my back is bent. I can stand up straight but my waist tends to wanna lean forward just a bit with them on. Also, the pad in the bottom also feels really weird between my legs. Is this right? are they supposed to feel like that? It just feels weird. Is that something Ill get used to? Kinda hard to explain but I know if women feel like that once a month, then I know why they are grumpy.
Old 07-22-13, 08:15 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like they're a little too short for you. I find that they are comfortable to stand in and they "keep everything in order" better than shorts without causing discomfort.
Old 07-22-13, 08:24 PM
ClydesMoose

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 8 6 Black/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll get used to the chamois.

They may be a little short when you're standing up, but do they feel short when you're on the bike? Remember you're going to be sitting, or leaning forward when riding, and most bibs are tailored that way.
Old 07-22-13, 08:25 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
My bibs, of different manufacturers are tight also. I know what you mean about them pulling you forward. However, on the bike, they are just fine. You're leaning forward anyway and the straps don't pull. The padding in the crouch area is uncomfortable to walk with, but be thankful it is there. Not only does it absorb sweat, but also provides a degree of padded comfort when on the saddle. You'll get used to the "feeling".
Old 07-22-13, 08:34 PM
luvdemtigers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they feel fine when on the bike, only weird when I stand. Also, not only does the pad let me know its there, it also hides my junk pretty well when walking too..LOL. Kinda makes me a little self concious. LOL
Old 07-23-13, 04:54 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by luvdemtigers
they feel fine when on the bike, only weird when I stand. Also, not only does the pad let me know its there, it also hides my junk pretty well when walking too..LOL. Kinda makes me a little self concious. LOL
As long as you're comfortable on the bike. That's what matters. This is a case of function over form.
Old 07-23-13, 05:01 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the chamois is hiding your "junk" when standing/walking, it sounds like they're on backwards. Though if that were true, you'd probably feel like the bibs were trying to bend you over backward. Maybe it's just something about the brand.
Old 07-23-13, 05:11 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
If the chamois is hiding your "junk" when standing/walking, it sounds like they're on backwards. .
I'm not so sure about that. Most of mine have a sufficiently large chamios to provide reasonable coverage while standing.
Old 07-23-13, 10:34 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
If the chamois is hiding your "junk" when standing/walking, it sounds like they're on backwards.
Doubt it. Some brands just have more chamois coverage in the front than others. My Assos Mille bibs have almost as much chamois in the front as the back...
Old 07-25-13, 02:39 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
OP: are you familiar with riding in cycling shorts? The chamois shouldn't feel any different in bibs.

Sounds like your straps are a bit short for your torso.
Old 07-25-13, 03:26 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Chamois or fabric faced foam (synthetic)? I use the latter. I only owned one pair with real chamois, and prefer the feel of the synthetic. Care and maintenance is easier too.
Old 07-28-13, 08:19 PM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contrary to most people understanding chamois's are made to absorb moisture. The "padding" is just a second bonus. Your "fit" shouldn't feel any different in either form
Old 07-31-13, 03:30 PM
Jason300

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bibs > shorts

Either is worthless if they do not fit properly or are not made of quality materials.