Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Old 04-25-19, 05:23 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I also have very wide feet, so there are not many options for good weight lifting shoes for me - I might be able to wear Converse All-Stars if I removed my pinkie toes.
I don't have super wide feet, they're kind of in between, but I do have wide toes. I dealt with skate shoes for a long time, but a couple of years ago, I found Merrell Trail Glove 4 shoes. They are hands down the most comfortable shoes that I've worn. They are a "barefoot" shoe, ideal for weight lifting, and the toe area has heaps of room. I don't think I will ever be without a pair now
Old 04-28-19, 08:18 PM
ToddTheBod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Something else to consider for anyone looking to gain weight, is that your training should also reflect this desire to gain weight. Eating at a caloric surplus, even if it's pretty clean, and not doing work that will stimulate a lot of hypertrophy, means you won't gain much muscle.

Hypertrophy work is more often than not a lot of volume. Look at traditional bodybuilding routines or early season PL/WL stuff. You'll likely see lots of sets of 10.

There's not anything magical about sets of 10, but it's a nice sweetspot that let's you build up a decent amount of fatigue, which is the driver for hypertrophy, without having your CNS fatigue tap out first. Studies have shown you can get just as much hypertrophy from any set/rep scheme, as long as the fatigue is the same. Building up a lot of muscular fatigue with heavy singles is just way too taxing (look up the Bulgarian weightlifting program from Ivan Abajiev if you want to see what volume made up of only max attempts looks like...we are talking max front squat, snatch, and clean and jerk *every day* indefinitely)

So if you gotta accumulate fatigue and volume from gym work, this will most definitely interfere with on the bike work, which means it's something best left for the off-season or base season.

Nothing stops you from doing a volume heavy gym session once a week in season, but it definitely has the potential take away from whatever you're doing in season.

Also worth considering that lots of volume gym work is really a lot of moving pretty slowly, which is teaching your muscles to contract slowly, which is very much not like pedaling at 120 or 140 RPM. It's also important you take the new muscle you gain and transform it into speed later. Hopefully this would be addressed through proper periodization.
Likes For ToddTheBod:
Old 05-04-19, 08:01 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Hurrah! Set a new milestone last night. Pressed the complete stack on the pec deck for reps and multiple sets. Last year that was just a dream, but last night it actually came true.

Nothing to write home about in normal weightlifting world (in fact its pretty unremarkable), but in my training routine, its an occasion for celebration.

Of course anybody can have a strong day. So the real test would be to repeat it during my next and subsequent sessions. Will have to wait until next week to see what happens. So for now, TBC.

In other news, shoulder press is holding steady. No stronger, but no weaker either. I have however, be able to increase my range of motion (ROM) even if by only a few degree. Before, a simple vertical deflection of 5 degrees gave me excruciating pain. Last night it was just mildly irritating. But again, its consistency that is the true teller of progress. Train safely.
Old 05-07-19, 11:06 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Hurrah! Set a new milestone last night. Pressed the complete stack on the pec deck for reps and multiple sets. Last year that was just a dream, but last night it actually came true.

Nothing to write home about in normal weightlifting world (in fact its pretty unremarkable), but in my training routine, its an occasion for celebration.

Of course anybody can have a strong day. So the real test would be to repeat it during my next and subsequent sessions. Will have to wait until next week to see what happens. So for now, TBC.

In other news, shoulder press is holding steady. No stronger, but no weaker either. I have however, be able to increase my range of motion (ROM) even if by only a few degree. Before, a simple vertical deflection of 5 degrees gave me excruciating pain. Last night it was just mildly irritating. But again, its consistency that is the true teller of progress. Train safely.
That's awesome.

Don't discount yourself! Progress is progress. Stronger is stronger.
Old 05-07-19, 12:13 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by carleton
That's awesome.

Don't discount yourself! Progress is progress. Stronger is stronger.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

I felt all warm and fuzzy last week after making that lift. You train and train with no results and think that its never going to happen (especially as we get older), then one day BAM! You move up to the next level and have to check the machine. LOL, I checked 3 times to make sure I saw what I saw.

I've been experimenting with protein supplement amounts (after seeing some controversy on a couple of youtube videos). I added another 3 scoops(75gm)/day. Although at 28$ per bucket not sure I can keep that up for long, but we'll see.

On the other hand, I've also been getting an extra hour of sleep as well, after checking with my health care practitioner. So it could be that, or a combination of the two. The limited sleep might not effect you in routine daily activities, but it can have a big impact in weight training, and to a lesser extent, aerobic exercise.
Old 05-07-19, 12:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Lack of sufficient sleep can definitely stall progress and even lead to regression. On the meso and micro level, meaning systematic lack of sufficient sleep and even poor sleep the night before heavy lifting.
Old 01-07-20, 08:38 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Lack of sufficient sleep can definitely stall progress and even lead to regression. On the meso and micro level, meaning systematic lack of sufficient sleep and even poor sleep the night before heavy lifting.
Was having a peruse through this thread and got to this eventually...as a father to 2 girls under 5...you don't know tiredness and how big a difference this makes until they come along
Old 01-07-20, 11:01 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Was having a peruse through this thread and got to this eventually...as a father to 2 girls under 5...you don't know tiredness and how big a difference this makes until they come along
Yup!

On a related note, when I fist became a super-serious Masters racer, I noticed that even casual drinking the night before lifting had adverse effects on my lifting. Not due to a hangover, but due to poor sleep associated with intoxicated sleeping.

This led to me cutting my drinking back a lot because I simply didn’t want to feel like crap under the barbell.
Old 01-07-20, 03:15 PM
KraneXL

Ain't that the truth. In fact a poor night's sleep effects me so badly I've found it better if I forgo my workout altogether. I've tried pushing through it many times but its just unsatisfying and likely does more harm than good.

My biggest setback is the mind/muscle connection. Without sufficient sleep I just cannot connect and it feel as if I'm "driving by wire" with no feel on what my muscles are doing whatsoever.

On those occasion I've switched to machines since I can't gauge the intensity of the weight through the reps. I'll go from doing a rep to being completely spent without any warning. Considering the potential dangers, I won't make that mistake twice.

In the case of cycling I just bonked within a few blocks of home and lost all my balance and coordination. I ended up dismounting and walking the bike the rest of the way after sitting on a bus bench to regain my focus.

Last edited by KraneXL; 01-08-20 at 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-20, 05:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

The only time I’ve ever bailed and dropped a barbell when squatting was on the day after New Years Eve drinking.

Thankfully I was able to bend over and bail out safely backwards while dropping the bar on the safety rails.

of course, it sounded like a shotgun going off in the gym. I packed it up and went home with my new lesson learned...and embarrassed.
Old 01-07-20, 08:50 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Thanks for bumping this thread up. I have to go to sleep but I'm going to peruse this thread at length. Power was out when I got home, 55 minutes until gym closed... I'll be going tomorrow morning.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-11-20, 06:30 PM
warx

Bikes: Venge, Koichi San II, Crux Sngl Spd, EVO, Stumpy

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone read the article with new study (and older articles back to 2017) on Velocity Based Training?

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nutrition/a31159126/how-to-get-stronger-build-muscle-without-lifting-heavier-weights-study
Old 03-11-20, 06:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by warx
Anyone read the article with new study (and older articles back to 2017) on Velocity Based Training?

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nutrition/a31159126/how-to-get-stronger-build-muscle-without-lifting-heavier-weights-study
From the article:

If you’re feeling good and moving the weights faster, for instance, you would increase the load. But if you’re lagging a bit, you would reduce the weight.
This isn't news. Any coach worth his weight in salt knows what to advise their athletes when they see this happen

Also the control gruop only tested 1-rep max, which no one actually uses to measure strength gains (except in weightlifting/powerlifting competitions) as they are so dangerous:

This study explored the effects of velocity-based training (VBT) on maximal strength and jump height. Sixteen trained men (22.8 ± 4.5 years) completed a countermovement jump (CMJ) test and 1 repetition maximum (1RM) assessment on back squat, bench press, strict overhead press, and deadlift, before and after 6 weeks of resistance training.
Basically: For best results, adjust the working weight of your lifts based on how you feel. Too light? Add more weight. Too heavy? Remove weight.
Old 03-11-20, 06:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

You even see this in better weightlifting groups/clubs. "Man, that looked too easy! Add 20 lbs next set."
Old 03-11-20, 06:44 PM
warx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True but there's some math as to when to stop based on slowing down I guess. I think this study (link below) and article speaks to it clearer:

Based on the velocity loading parameters from session to session, over the course of the 16 training days, subjects progressed from about 70% of their 1rm to 85% of their 1rm. Every session, they performed 3 sets with 4 minutes of rest. For each of the 3 sets, they performed as many reps as they could until the rep velocity for that set dropped by either 20% or 40% depending on which group they were in.

Major implications were found. Here is the quick and dirty version:
  • Subjects who worked until a 40% velocity loss, on average, had to perform 36% more total work and 40% more repetitions than the 20% velocity loss group.
  • Even with that added work, both groups showed similar/significant improvements in muscles size, sprint speed, and squat max increase over the course of the 16 sessions.
  • The 20% group had significantly higher Type IIx (fast twitch/explosive fibers) cross sectional areas after the cessation of the study.
  • The 20% group had significant improvements in the vertical jump test.
https://complementarytraining.net/ve...k-start-guide/
Old 03-12-20, 01:31 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by warx
True but there's some math as to when to stop based on slowing down I guess. I think this study (link below) and article speaks to it clearer:

https://complementarytraining.net/ve...k-start-guide/
That's the math on what they did, not what should be done.

We are all very different. Know that the specific regimen of 16 men between the ages of 18 - 27 for 6 weeks shouldn't define what every athlete should do.

This really seems like a study that some university students did using other university students for an assignment. Not that that categorically makes it not worth much. But, the takeaway isn't groundbreaking. It's stuff that people have known for decades (centuries?). It's "feeling it out" instead of simply lifting to a mathematical schedule (e.g. "Add 10lbs every lifting day to your squat.").
Old 03-12-20, 11:30 AM
warx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My takeaway on VBT in general is it's a method for optimizing strength performance (not hypertrophy) where:
  • Concentric should be done fast with >75% 1RM. Eccentric slower.
  • Know just how many reps are enough to stimulate max adaptation without excess fatigue impacting next workouts
  • Measurement is once your concentric speed drops by 20% you have done enough (surprisingly early)
Sort of like how sweet-spot training is for endurance perhaps.
Old 03-12-20, 05:17 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
https://www.australianstrengthcoach....-sucks-part-4/

The other articles in the series are worth a read too
Old 09-24-20, 09:07 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Been slowly reading through this topic again and my copy of Starting Strength, as finally in the process of setting up the 3*3m studio in the backyard as a small gym.

Had intended doing this for a while, more though about just staying strong rather than specific riding strength. As I haven't raced since 2015 plus my odometer clicked over Hawaii Five O so especially need to get started weight training again!

Impetus was the Half rack I mentioned previously being sold out when I checked earlier this year, as was most home weights equipment with Gyms closed around the world! I set a 'Notify me when back in stock' reminder and forgot about it... Then out of the blue last week I get an email that it was available again. In the hour of measuring the space again plus starting an email asking if they could swap the 7' bar with a 6' it was marked as sold out! Set another reminder and got another email a few hours later that it was available again. Bought immediately as wasn't making that mistake again!

Currently fitting a small wall mounted air conditioner I'd bought specifically a couple of years ago and will then fit retractable mosquito screens on the bi-fold doors which I had also bought earlier. Biggest issue then is buying the plywood sheets to double layer the timber floor as Melbourne is currently in full lockdown and the supplier is beyond the allowed 5km radius. At least the rubber gym floor tiles can be delivered and will order these soon.

Was considering swapping one 1*1m rubber tile in the middle with a ply sheet as a mini lifting platform, but now not so sure if necessary? Thinking 15mm rubber over a ply floor should be solid enough for squats and deadlifts? Roof height is low so won't be able to do overhead lifts inside. Stage two I'm planning on building a marine plywood lifting platform on the patio in front.

Will post photos when finished.
Old 09-25-20, 01:52 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Been slowly reading through this topic again and my copy of Starting Strength, as finally in the process of setting up the 3*3m studio in the backyard as a small gym.

Had intended doing this for a while, more though about just staying strong rather than specific riding strength. As I haven't raced since 2015 plus my odometer clicked over Hawaii Five O so especially need to get started weight training again!

Impetus was the Half rack I mentioned previously being sold out when I checked earlier this year, as was most home weights equipment with Gyms closed around the world! I set a 'Notify me when back in stock' reminder and forgot about it... Then out of the blue last week I get an email that it was available again. In the hour of measuring the space again plus starting an email asking if they could swap the 7' bar with a 6' it was marked as sold out! Set another reminder and got another email a few hours later that it was available again. Bought immediately as wasn't making that mistake again!

Currently fitting a small wall mounted air conditioner I'd bought specifically a couple of years ago and will then fit retractable mosquito screens on the bi-fold doors which I had also bought earlier. Biggest issue then is buying the plywood sheets to double layer the timber floor as Melbourne is currently in full lockdown and the supplier is beyond the allowed 5km radius. At least the rubber gym floor tiles can be delivered and will order these soon.

Was considering swapping one 1*1m rubber tile in the middle with a ply sheet as a mini lifting platform, but now not so sure if necessary? Thinking 15mm rubber over a ply floor should be solid enough for squats and deadlifts? Roof height is low so won't be able to do overhead lifts inside. Stage two I'm planning on building a marine plywood lifting platform on the patio in front.

Will post photos when finished.
As long as the rubber tiles are well secured you should be ok. Crossfit gyms mostly do absolutely fine with it.

Wood only really becomes absolutely necessary once you're having to move your feet I think. Cleans, snatches etc.
Likes For ruudlaff:
Old 09-25-20, 05:42 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks ruudlaff

Studio pictured is how I initially set it up as a bike room. Bikes have since been returned to the 3rd bedroom were they were originally stored

Likes For Dalai:
Old 10-11-20, 12:33 AM
sixty2strat

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still slowly reading through this thread, but interested to know what a track cyclists program look like that incorporates barbell compound lifting / powerlifting movements. I used to lift up until the end of late last year when I sustained a shoulder separation/ impingement in a bike crash. I have now recovered after about 11 months and am getting back into mainly deadlift and overhead press. I dont currently have access to a bench or squat rack during COVID lock downs.

Recovery wise, i would imagine it would be quite difficult to be squatting and DL heavy whilst maintaining a track cycling program. Any personal experience on what a program would look like?..

Last edited by sixty2strat; 10-11-20 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-12-20, 11:30 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by sixty2strat
Still slowly reading through this thread, but interested to know what a track cyclists program look like that incorporates barbell compound lifting / powerlifting movements. I used to lift up until the end of late last year when I sustained a shoulder separation/ impingement in a bike crash. I have now recovered after about 11 months and am getting back into mainly deadlift and overhead press. I dont currently have access to a bench or squat rack during COVID lock downs.

Recovery wise, i would imagine it would be quite difficult to be squatting and DL heavy whilst maintaining a track cycling program. Any personal experience on what a program would look like?..
It's possible to lift heavy while still getting time in on the bike. But, as you suggest, you won't hit the same numbers in the gym.

A non-elite (people who don't race for a living) program might have a person lifting heavy M, W, F and bike work on Tu, Th, Sa with Sunday off for recovery.

An elite sprinter program would be similar (yet more complex) with the added components of morning and afternoon workouts. As in, lifting in the AM and bike work in the PM. It can get complex, but it's possible.

Add to both of those types of programs changes to account for microcycles (this day/week), mesocycles (this month) and macrocycles (this quarter), and it gets really complex. There's even a cycle of several years that builds up to the Olympics.

This is why finding a good coach is important, especially in the beginning. It's the most efficient use of your time. It's like when learning to play a musical instrument. Yes, you can figure it out on your own (many great musicians have). But, learning is a lot faster when you have a structured program and are learning from a good instructor.
Old 10-13-20, 10:15 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Taking longer than I'd like but am getting closer to being ready and start lifting.

I've now installed the in wall air conditioner - I did insulate the studio when I lined the walls with ply but it is still just a glorified tin box! For winter I may use a small space heater but will see how cold it gets in there first. I've also laid and screwed two layers of 15mm structural ply over 2mm Acoustic foam and have the 15mm rubber gym tiles ordered and on the way. I'd normally have picked them up but we are still in a 5km radius lockdown...

While waiting for the rubber flooring I am currently fitting the retractable insect screens for the bi-fold, so I'll have the option of opening the front and not getting eaten alive by mosquitos.

Then it is just a matter of bolting the rack together. I haven't lifted since my University days so looking forward to it!
Likes For Dalai:
Old 10-15-20, 02:27 AM
sixty2strat

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's possible to lift heavy while still getting time in on the bike. But, as you suggest, you won't hit the same numbers in the gym.

A non-elite (people who don't race for a living) program might have a person lifting heavy M, W, F and bike work on Tu, Th, Sa with Sunday off for recovery.

An elite sprinter program would be similar (yet more complex) with the added components of morning and afternoon workouts. As in, lifting in the AM and bike work in the PM. It can get complex, but it's possible.

Add to both of those types of programs changes to account for microcycles (this day/week), mesocycles (this month) and macrocycles (this quarter), and it gets really complex. There's even a cycle of several years that builds up to the Olympics.

This is why finding a good coach is important, especially in the beginning. It's the most efficient use of your time. It's like when learning to play a musical instrument. Yes, you can figure it out on your own (many great musicians have). But, learning is a lot faster when you have a structured program and are learning from a good instructor.
Yes definitely agree about the coach.. Just looking back on lifting days, there is a pretty steep learning curve and not have a coach really extends that process..... now to find a coach
Likes For sixty2strat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.