Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Aluminum frame with carbon fork, ideas?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 03-24-20, 06:22 AM
delacrue96

Bikes: 2003 Women's Trek 7200 Multirack 15 inch Dusk Blue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi everyone, first time on the forum and looking to purchase a second bike, aluminum frame with a carbon fork. I'm 5' and normally ride around town, some dirt trails. My first bike has lasted me almost 20 years, 2003 Trek 7200 Multirack 15". Still looks great! Anyone have experience in one of these or any other suggestions:

Cannondale Quick Women's 3 (light gray)

Trek FX 3 Disk Women's Stagger (black or magenta are nice)

Sirrus 3.0 Step Through (powder blue)
Old 03-27-20, 09:07 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
durability your question? i got a aluminum frame with a carbon fork. ******g hate the fact that it's carbon. weak link. that said, in the two months that i've owned the bike i've been in two crashes where a lot of parts needed replaced, the fork not being one of them. it's an fx 4, which is very similar to an fx 3.

i test road both an '20 fx 3 and a '20 quick 3 and preferred the fx 3. because the frame on the quick didn't fit me right. they look a lot cooler than the fx series.

i don't ride dirt though. 100 percent city.

Last edited by denada; 03-28-20 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-27-20, 09:32 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Why do you want a carbon fork?
Old 03-28-20, 05:24 AM
delacrue96

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
durability your question? i got a aluminum frame with a carbon fork. ******g hate the fact that it's carbon. weak link. that said, in the two months that i've owned the bike i've been in two crashes where a lot of parts needed replaced, the fork not being one of them. it's an fx 4, which is very similar to an fx 3.

i test road both an '20 fx 3 and a '20 quick 3 and preferred the fx 3. because the frame on the quick didn't fit me right. they look a lot cooler than the fx series.

i don't ride dirt though. 100 percent city.
Great info! Hope you’re doing better!!
Old 03-28-20, 05:29 AM
delacrue96

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Why do you want a carbon fork?
Mostly to reduce weight when I have to go up & down stairs.

I was initially looking at the Trek DS 2, but it’s 29#
Old 03-28-20, 06:56 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I suggest, work out how much weight you will save, then decide if it is still important.

If you don't limit yourself to a carbon fork, you will have a much bigger range of bikes to choose from.

But it is up to you.
Old 03-31-20, 03:13 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
The weight savings will be around 300g (~800g for an aluminum fork vs. ~500g for a carbon one). That's half or less of a water bottle. However, ride quality might be another point to consider.
Old 03-31-20, 06:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Don't overlook bikes with high quality steel forks. Good steel forks (butted chrome moly steel) don't weigh a lot and generally offer a very forgiving ride quality.
Old 03-31-20, 08:16 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
For what it's worth I had a Quick 7 with a moly fork and bought a Quick 3 with carbon blades. The 3 is much better in my perception for vibration dampening but I do not take it off road at all. I have a Topstone for that and that has a full carbon fork. The 7 has been sold and the 3 and Topstone are my go to bikes. I would stick with the Trek if the frame geometry is good for your build. They don't fit me as well as the Cannondale's do so that is my choice.
Frank.
Old 03-31-20, 09:53 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I'm going to guess that being 5' and looking at women's frames and climbing stairs its a bit of an upper body strength and in which case yes the carbon fork matters and has no real disadvantage that I can think of. I've never had a particular liking for specialized, decent MTB but never impressed me in any other way, but there's plenty who will disagree with me. Both the C-dale and Trek are models I like and had considered for my wife, I would not worry about the fork on either model and they will make the ride more comfortable. Until 2 years ago Trek had been the brand that I had used the most but since then C-dale has just been producing lighter, better equipped bikes for the money for me.
Though looking at just these two I'd be more inclined towards the Trek, the C-dale does have what I'd consider better hubs being thru-axle which I also think are easier to use. However the trek parts are one level higher on most parts being Acera on the trek vs Altus, the trek has a much better crank while the brakes are both hydraulic.
Only other brand you might want to look at is a Liv, the thrive 2 might be in line though at 850, they don't like to post weights and from my experience they can be better equipped but still come out heavier which is something to consider.