Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Knee Replacement and MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Knee Replacement and MTB

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 02:12 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Knee Replacement and MTB

I know there have been lots of posts on knee replacements and road riding. I'd like to hear from any of you who've had the TKR and then mountain bike. There is a lot more stress on the knees when mountain biking, especially on the "up stroke" when riding with clipless pedals. Maybe I should have posted this in the 75-85 page. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-08-20, 10:29 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The only experience I can give is that I have had my ACL reconstructed. Not the same thing, but mountain biking or biking in general is one of the better sports for it. That's what my orthopedic surgeon and physiotherapist has said. For a total knee replacement, I think only a doctor can really tell you.
Old 11-09-20, 07:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I know a few people including my mother who have had their knees replaced. In every instance the amount of recovery correlated to the ambition of the PT. That's not to say go mountain biking! But think where you were before and where you are likely to go, and... get a full suspension bike
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-09-20 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 07:14 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
There is a lot more stress on the knees when mountain biking, especially on the "up stroke" when riding with clipless pedals.
Are you sure about that?
Old 11-09-20, 09:21 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
About the up stroke portion. I feel that it is just a different type of strain or force on the knee. Rather than compressing it is lengthening. If they is a tough thing for the knee to take in the beginning, use flats. Maybe instead of trying out trails first, I would jump onto a stationary bike. That was my go to after my surgery.
Old 11-18-20, 10:55 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I am interested in responses to this thread as well. It is timely for me as I just had my knee done on November 5
Old 11-18-20, 03:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,174 Posts
A riding buddy who's 57 has had both done in the past 3 years, the most recent last February. He was riding again in mid-May on the last replacement, mt. bikes as well as does fast paced group road rides. His group rides started in early June. Has had zero issues. It helps that he's been riding regularly for 30 years, thus his leg muscles are in good condition.
Old 11-20-20, 08:16 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
I'm going to keep track of this thread.

I have a buddy who had both done over the last two years and he has come back to riding on an eBike. But I haven't been riding with him since, although we do stay in touch.

I have a riding buddy who just had one knee replaced a few weeks ago, as a long recovery ahead still. We went bike packing the weekend before her procedure.

Currently I am out of commission with a broken ankle surgery on November 13. That's why I have time to lurk here. Otherwise I'd be wrenching or riding.

I feel for you folks getting knees replaced. I hope I never need that.

Definitely go with flat pedals at first. The guy I know who's on an eBike had trepidation about riding on flats, but he's comfortable now.

​​​​​​My ankle thing wasn't from an accident. I had an extra bone in the ankle which grew big enough to wedge into the joint and painfully lock it up.

Leading up to the surgery I was able to taper off into easier rides using flats. Despite being an SPD rider, I quickly became comfortable on them. But I wasn't riding full out on the descents like I've been used to.

Still I have to think that as long as you are used to riding in general clip-less, you already are riding with the bike and not totally relying on the cleats to hold you in, because you know that the cleats don't always hold you in, and so you are already used to it.

For example, I had thought that the spin would suffer without cleats, but it really doesn't.

And so for the pulling up on the pedal, it won't matter. Maybe put those SPD retaining springs on loose so you can use your comfy bike shoes you already have. I might do that when I go back to riding.

​.
Old 11-20-20, 09:06 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Re pedals and knee replacements. I hope to have a knee rep. next summer. My concern- I ride a recumbent mountain bike on off-road trails with Speedplay Frog pedals. Because I cannot use my body weight, I have to push/pull pretty hard on the pedals on inclines. So I'm not sure what effect this would have on a knee replacement that has been cemented to my bones. I've never used the "flat " pedals and don't understand how they would work exactly in my situation riding a bent on the trails with very steep inclines without the pull part of the pedal stroke. Any thoughts?
Old 11-26-20, 09:39 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Had a TKR surgery five years ago at the age of 60. Found out after surgery, that I was to young to have the joint cemented in as it will more than likely be replaced at the twenty year mark. I do not ride mountain trails, I'm not sure if I can even use anything but flats. The knee has not been a problem, it's great getting rid of the pain.
Old 12-02-20, 03:56 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Thanks for posting and good luck on recovery. I had both hips replaced in 2008 and that got me riding again. The hips enjoy riding. I hope your experience is good.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.