Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

grip shifters Best ones

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

grip shifters Best ones

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 10:57 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
grip shifters Best ones

At the bike exchange we get a lot of bikes in with broken or warn grip shifters. We have a box of cheap Sram shifters but I refuse to use them as they are very stiff and hard to shift. Normally I will convert to Sunrace Thumbies as they are cheap and work well And are actually easier to use than twist shifters. I am wondering if there are better twist shifters that are easier to shift and more durable. Sometimes they are the only real option.
Old 11-26-20, 11:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
We've been happy with the Shimano units, even with their cabling complexity. We've joked about the sort of irony of using "Grip Shift" and "best" in the same sentence. Andy
Old 11-26-20, 12:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
A friend of mine has a set of SRAM X0 8 speed twist shifters on one of his mountain bikes. He let me try them one time when we were out on a ride. They were fantastic, much better than the SRAM X7 trigger shifters on my bike
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-26-20, 02:51 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
There are plenty of good gripshift options out there.

You just don’t find them on trash bikes.

Any of the old ESP versions (5.0, 7.0, 9.0, 9.0sl) or the “x” versions (X5, X7, etc) are very good. And then you have the newer more pricey ones like X0, etc.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-26-20, 03:14 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I use Sram Gripshifts nearly exclusively. If you go for cheap you will get crummy shifters no matter what type. Gripshift interior is not that complicated. You can principally soften the shifting if you want by adjusting the spring. The only other serious brands with twist shifters are Sunrace/Sturmey Archer and Microshift. I use the former on folders when space is limited. Shimano had some offering in the past but they pulled back to a minimum the last I checked.
Old 11-26-20, 03:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The best grip shifter is the one you’ve taken off
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-26-20, 05:50 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
When I went looking for a new bike in 2018, I did not want grip shifters. I wanted the ratchet thumb shifters like my friends bike I tried out. I was afraid they would constantly be shifting inadvertently and thought they would be less durable. Turns out I was wrong in both cases.

My Giant Sedona came with SRAM Grip Shift Max 3 x 7 speed. I researched them and found that they are not only one of the most reliable shifter, But get a nearly perfect score from users.

My experience with them so far, with 3,400 km is pretty much as those reviews suggest. While occasionally I have inadvertently shifted, Overal I'm very pleased with them.
Old 11-26-20, 06:29 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I like the Shimano Revoshift in the RS45/RS47 variety. These have a softer shift feel to them than the cheaper RS35 and lower versions. I think you can generally spot them by the silver housing clamshell, vs. the standard black. I've had the SRAM Gripshift before, but prefer the Revoshift. I find the cabling dead simple, and prefer it to the SRAM design, but that's entirely personal preference.
Old 11-26-20, 10:22 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I use the MRX and the ESP 9.0 and like both.
Old 11-26-20, 10:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I put microshift on the kids bikes for ease of shifting. If an 8yo has no trouble with them then they're not too hard to shift. They couldn't more the old revoshift and gripshift MRX were barely better. I remember having a large box of grip shift x-rays, over a 100 pairs, that were tossed on bikes with busted shifters and those were amazing, the newer stuff at the low end seem to suck.
Old 11-27-20, 09:17 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
(Channeling Fietsbob) The one on my Rohloff. But seriously, I think the best quality twist shifters I ever owned were Sachs Quartz (or was it Plasma, I don't remember for sure) from before Sachs was taken over by Sram. I still have them in my parts bin and will likely use them for a build at some point.
Old 11-27-20, 09:28 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I find the Shimano Revoshift (Tourney SL-RS45 Twist Shifter Set) shifters require the least amount of effort to shift. They are ideal for youngsters who may have difficulty shifting twist shifters as they are not as strong as adults. They are relatively inexpensive (retail for $25-$30 for a pair). They come with new inner cable and outer housing as well.
Old 11-27-20, 09:49 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The best grip shifter is the one you’ve taken off
I'm going with this. I just had some shimano revo shifts replaced with thumbies. I find them an awkward way to shift even when they work well.
Old 11-28-20, 09:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Both my bike and trike are equipped with SRAM twist grips, and I love them.
Old 11-28-20, 10:16 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
X rays were the best shifting grip shifters for me. Shame they are no longer made.
Easy positive shifts and quick cable change out.
Old 11-28-20, 10:23 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
At the bike exchange we get a lot of bikes in with broken or warn grip shifters. We have a box of cheap Sram shifters but I refuse to use them as they are very stiff and hard to shift. Normally I will convert to Sunrace Thumbies as they are cheap and work well And are actually easier to use than twist shifters. I am wondering if there are better twist shifters that are easier to shift and more durable. Sometimes they are the only real option.
If we don't have a salvaged shifter around, we use the Sunrace ones as well, inexpensive and easy to recable.