Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Putting suspension on old Bridgestone MB 2

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 06:52 PM
shdwfx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Relatively new to the forum and can't post pics yet, but dusting off an old Bridgestone MB 2 (1991) that I bought new but haven't ridden much the past decade besides short rides with the kids. Anyways, it's still pretty much original and in good shape, but wondering if it makes sense to put a suspension fork on it (it has the original like an old RockShox or something. Would that change the geometry too much? How do I determine what size would fit? Thanks.
Old 11-25-20, 07:50 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by shdwfx
Relatively new to the forum and can't post pics yet, but dusting off an old Bridgestone MB 2 (1991) that I bought new but haven't ridden much the past decade besides short rides with the kids. Anyways, it's still pretty much original and in good shape, but wondering if it makes sense to put a suspension fork on it (it has the original like an old RockShox or something. Would that change the geometry too much? How do I determine what size would fit? Thanks.
I am confused. Does it already have a suspension fork? Does it work?

Yes putting a suspension fork on a currently “rigid” will change the geometry and raise the the front of the 3+ inches depending on the model of the fork. On a ‘91 you likey have a 1” threaded fork so you need to measure from the bottom of the crown race to middle of the top nut and that is how long the steerer on the new fork needs to be

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-25-20, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If you have an original suspension fork it will be worth looking into refreshing it if able to be refreshed. Most of the modern forks that would work for that aren't all that great and weigh a ton.

We bought some stuff from these folks: https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/ for a original Manitou fork (Easton aluminum, a little purple gaaaawwwwwwjuuuussss)
Old 11-25-20, 08:13 PM
shdwfx

Sorry for the confusion. It has the original rigid Ritchey Logic fork and has never had a suspension fork. Thanks for the pic on the measurement and I was thinking it might have a 1" fork as well. Very helpful.
Old 11-25-20, 08:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
This bike is contemporary with the very earliest MTB suspension forks. A restomod might be good with one of those if you cared to delve into that. It's kind of a side hobby to old mountain bikes. But no one has made a suspension fork for a 1in steerer in maybe 25 years, a new one is not something you can get. Easier is to get some up-to-date tires big as you can fit, and pump them soft as you dare.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-25-20, 09:49 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
a vintage fork with 50-70mm of travel would work well on your frame. yes, it'll change things a bit, but not to a detriment. particularly on steep downhills

my first real mtb was a '93 GT backwoods. it did not come with a suspension fork nor was the geometry designed with one in mind. but, like everyone else back in those days, i put one on, anyway, not knowing anything about the effects it might have. i got a marzocchi xc-51 and had a lot of fun for years. i now have a marzocchi atom bomb on it with around 70mm travel. it looks odd sitting with the front end up a little more, but once on it you don't really notice. handles great

i see these older forks on ebay from time to time. sometimes needing rebuild, but often not. and, sometimes at "reasonable" prices...and sometimes not. otoh, i paid $85 at a thrift store for an early 90's raleigh mtb with a mix of stx and alivio parts and a rock shox fork with a 1 inch threadless steerer. thing looked like it had been ridden only a hand full of times. i'll use the parts on something else and recycle the frame, but i needed the fork for my same era scott tampico who's fork is blown out.

all that to say....forks are out there for your bike

ps should you find a compatible marzocchi bomber, there are refurb parts for them or you can have it rebuilt by the same source. i'll have to get back with that name. marzocchi guy...maybe?
Old 11-25-20, 10:11 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
IMHO, I agree with Darth Lefty; get the biggest, squishiest tires you can put on and ride it! Squishy tires can do a lot to give you a comfy ride, without the extra weight and cost of a suspension fork.
Likes For Korina:
Old 11-25-20, 10:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
It would really very much depend on the headset. 1 inch threaded would leave you with very very few worthwhile options. As mentioned above, a 1 inch threaded suspension fork may be found, but even if it was, it'd probably not be worth your effort or something worth owning.

EDIT: I found this, but even if the steer tube were long enough, you'd also need a 1 inch threadless headset (if you could find one) & other bits. If it has elastomers, I wouldn't waste my time on it, though. A question to the seller for specifics would be in order.

If you are very fortunate, your bike has a 1&⅛ threaded headset. If this is the case, then it's as simple as buying a 1&⅛ threadless headset & non-tapered steerer'd brand new Rockshox Recon or Reba or if you are cheap a springer Manitou or other Suntour. Options-a-plenty & the 1990's were a wild west transition time in the mountain bike world.

Brakes, stems, front wheels and whatnot are another discussion not worth having if you aren't fortunate to have the options afforded by 1&⅛

Last edited by base2; 11-25-20 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-25-20, 10:48 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
With a little searching, you could get your hands on one of these babies. The Marzocchi Z2 BAM. The fork that stepped up the game in the late 90's. Most of them have a 1" 1/8 steerer, but Marzocchi made them removable, so you could swap in a 1". Good luck finding that 1" steerer, but you could always have one made at a machine shop, maybe even just chop the steer tube off an old fork.

Old 11-26-20, 09:01 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I would keep the Ritchey hardnose.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-26-20, 09:04 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Yep. Just leave it alone and ride it.
Likes For Rage:
Old 11-26-20, 11:22 PM
shdwfx

Thanks all for the comments. Given that it's likely a 1" steerer tube, I'll probably just keep my eye out on ebay or craigslist for one that's in good shape (not looking to drop a bundle on one though). In the meantime, I'll try the suggestions on playing around with the inflation pressures. I do plan on definitely keeping the rigid Ritchey fork but was just looking to mix things up a bit as I've never had a suspension fork before.
Old 11-27-20, 12:08 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i second the marzocchi notion...if you decide to do a fork. again, i've seen them on ebay. (i got my atom bomb at at thrift store for $25) those are very good forks. perhaps not by today's standard, but in the 90's everyone was just happy to have to cushion on rough trails. iow's, these older forks are not that bad...even the elastomers, if made by a good company...ie. rock shox, marz', manitou. futhermore, again, there is a source for the marz' parts...even the 1" steer tubes. roughly $30 for one of them should you need to swap. plus, 1" threadless headsets are easily found. i just got a ritchey for my mongoose a couple months ago on ebay or amazon...one of those places

just my 2 cents worth of opinion