Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Stack/reach comparison on two totally different bikes?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 12-30-19, 07:47 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

Hi. I was wondering--is it possible to use stack and reach numbers from two very different bikes (in this case, Endurance and Loaded Touring) to determine an appropriately-sized frame?

Lynskey is having a special with $200 off their clearance frames, which means I could pick up a Backroad frame for $900. The Backroad's geo is here:

That's super-stacky and not very reachy, which is fine for a "ride all day with a load, kind of upright" deal. The problem is I'm not sure whether I want a M or a ML.

I currently have a Lynskey Sportive Disc in ML that I love and have dialed in with no weirdo parts. The Sportive's geo:

Much more traditional. Is there any way to map one set of numbers from the Sportive to the Backroad to determine which size is right?

I will say, all else being equal, the steeper ST angle and the shorter standover of the M appeal to me. I have very short femurs.
Old 01-08-20, 06:11 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
You wouldn't get the Backroad to work for you, in my mind. Geo too far different across all sizes.

One ti frame that would work is the Planet-X Tempest v3, size M.
Price is pretty good, but not sure what you'd get hit up for with import/freight.

Reach is the same as your Sportive. Stack is 15mm taller, so you could run less spacers below the stem.
74degree seat tube angle.
A good gravel geo for you in my opinion.

Planet-X also sells carbon gravel forks to suit.
Old 01-12-20, 06:55 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks! The angles look really spot-on. I also discovered something called the Bootzipper that I'd never heard of. It kind of reminds me of a Rawland Ulv. It's cheap, too, although I'd wind up replacing the brakes (hydros) and shifters, as well as the crankset (165), so maybe it wouldn't save me much in the long run...

I've never heard of Selcof forks before. I'm guessing it's the PlantX house brand and they're just as relaible as any other rebadged import fork? The price on them is great, particularly with the current exchange rate.

Originally Posted by tangerineowl
You wouldn't get the Backroad to work for you, in my mind. Geo too far different across all sizes.

One ti frame that would work is the Planet-X Tempest v3, size M.
Price is pretty good, but not sure what you'd get hit up for with import/freight.

Reach is the same as your Sportive. Stack is 15mm taller, so you could run less spacers below the stem.
74degree seat tube angle.
A good gravel geo for you in my opinion.

Planet-X also sells carbon gravel forks to suit.
Old 11-26-20, 09:58 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
I am in-between sizes with Lynksey bikes otherwise I would have gotten their gravel bike, instead I found a great deal on a lightly used Planet X Tempest V3, just replaced the brake pads and changes the tires out of preference. With this being said you would be in charge of paying VAT and dealing with customer service overseas is never fun, but even when new the Tempest V3 is quite the value. If you do look at the bike know the first thing that should go are the stock tires and to change the seat post.
Old 01-09-21, 10:48 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Mostly yes, but not entirely. Top tube length and stem length must also be considered.