Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Royale before and after cleaning

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 08:03 AM
myz34

Bikes: Shogun 200, Raleigh Royale, another unknown model vintage Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Somehow this Raleigh made it to the United States. It was apparently first sold by the British Bicycle Co. in Kowloon, Hong Kong. I removed the fenders and lights and replaced the GB brake handles with a pair that has safety levers. I kept all the original parts. I believe some time in the past the origianl Simplex front derailleur was replaced, as it now has a SunTour. The chrome cleaned up pretty nicely overall, the worst part being a little pitting around the valve on the front rim.

Left side before

Right side before

Left side after

Old 11-17-20, 10:54 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I have an older Royale with Huret derailleurs, north road handlebars, Brooks B-17 saddle, steel 700C rims, ESGE rear brake bridge, internally routed light wiring, a Belgian license plate, wingnuts, and BSA fork that appears to be original. Does your bike have a headbadge or a decal?

I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was most likely around $75 a few years ago.

Last edited by dweenk; 11-17-20 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-17-20, 12:54 PM
myz34

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I have an older Royale with Huret derailleurs, north road handlebars, Brooks B-17 saddle, steel 700C rims, ESGE rear brake bridge, internally routed light wiring, a Belgian license plate, wingnuts, and BSA fork that appears to be original. Does your bike have a headbadge or a decal?

I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was most likely around $75 a few years ago.
Yes, here's the headbadge
Old 11-17-20, 01:29 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Your bike seems something like this, but a later model.
Old 11-17-20, 05:17 PM
myz34

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
Your bike seems something like this, but a later model.
Your Royale looks really nice as well. I see you're also missing the air pump. Have you tried to find one? That spec sheet/ad you just posted does look a lot like mine but not all the equipment they have listed is the same as mine.
Old 11-17-20, 07:31 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
For Late 60's and 70's bikes it was common if not likely that lesser and mid level model s not matching spec sheets. As for dating the OP's is 76/77 based on the oem Grab on foam grips 76 and the cotter crank stopped on lesser road models 77/78 when the went to Raliegh branded Japanese and asian components on this level bike. With the really nice paint cosmetics I would say $200-250 or so ready to ride fixed up version with fenders., first as is version about $100 .
Old 11-18-20, 12:35 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by myz34
Yes, here's the headbadge
I haven't seen those levers in a long time, not since I wrote off my brother's Sun in about 1980