Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata 310

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 10:11 AM
Guyatwork37

Bikes: Specialized Allez 3Rensho, Spcialized Roubaix Expert, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Miyata 310

What's a fair price for a Miyata 310 that's been rebuilt with new seat, tubes, tires, bar tape, chain, and everything cleaned up? Paint is in decent condition but not great. Mostly issues around the badging.

Old 11-24-20, 10:33 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Difficult to say no knowing your local market. Many cities have a shortage of decent bikes for sale on the various sites, and if Denver is among them, then you'll do better. I'm thinking somewhere around $150.00 maybe? I have a 312 from 1989 and I absolutely love it. It is nicer than the 310, but in it's day, the 310 was no joke. Yours might be an '84 by the looks of this catalog.

https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2084.pdf
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-24-20, 11:10 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
In my area, spring or summer, that would bring $200-$225. I sold one in excellent condition a few months ago for $250. A lot depends on your local market.
Likes For kross57:
Old 11-24-20, 12:03 PM
Guyatwork37

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Difficult to say no knowing your local market. Many cities have a shortage of decent bikes for sale on the various sites, and if Denver is among them, then you'll do better. I'm thinking somewhere around $150.00 maybe? I have a 312 from 1989 and I absolutely love it. It is nicer than the 310, but in it's day, the 310 was no joke. Yours might be an '84 by the looks of this catalog.

https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2084.pdf
It is an 84 I'm always amazed at how good people are at getting the age of a bike so fast. Maybe someday I'll get there too.
Old 11-24-20, 12:22 PM
Guyatwork37

Originally Posted by kross57
In my area, spring or summer, that would bring $200-$225. I sold one in excellent condition a few months ago for $250. A lot depends on your local market.

I think if I hold expectations between $175 ans $200 I should be ok. Denver has a mix of low-end cheap bikes and high-end road bikes. The $150 to $300 range is a strange mix of bikes that seem worth that price and a bikes that have no business being listed there but are for some reason (looking at you busted ass vintage schwinns)
Likes For Guyatwork37:
Old 11-24-20, 01:24 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If you lower the seat a little and get some hoods for the brake levers you might be able to get $250 or so. The gum wall Kenda tires are mediocre too. Put some Panaracer Paselas on it & you might snag more $$$.
Old 11-24-20, 03:18 PM
Guyatwork37

Originally Posted by ramzilla
If you lower the seat a little and get some hoods for the brake levers you might be able to get $250 or so. The gum wall Kenda tires are mediocre too. Put some Panaracer Paselas on it & you might snag more $$$.

It just feels like the guy in my area who is buying a ~$200 Miyata isn't caring all that much about the type of tire on the bike. I don't think the $60 I'd spend on Panaracers would yield $60 in return.
Old 11-24-20, 08:29 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by Guyatwork37

It just feels like the guy in my area who is buying a ~$200 Miyata isn't caring all that much about the type of tire on the bike. I don't think the $60 I'd spend on Panaracers would yield $60 in return.
Restoring & selling old bikes is definitely a labor of love. There's no way to make any kind of profit from it. I know. Most of the time I just barely break even. I try to make enough to keep it going & buy, sell and, repair the next bike. (Sometimes I just give them away). I'm a retired engineer. I've been blessed with above average mechanical skills & a comfortable amount of income. So, it's a hobby for me. I try to recover the cost of all the parts. But, most of the labor is free. My compensation is the happiness I see in the people that buy my stuff. Be good. Have fun.

Old 11-24-20, 10:15 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
For max cash, it needs an appropriate rear derailleur, brake hoods, saddle, and pedal dust caps. Refrain from the big-big gear combo when riding and especially for photos.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-25-20, 04:31 AM
kross57

I think you're right. Lately most folks dropping $150-$300 just want a fully functional bike that has been well maintained and will give them trouble-free service. Replace what needs to be replaced. Make sure everything functions as it should. That's enough. I won't sell junk, but I don't strive for perfection either. I tell everyone who purchases a bike from me, if they have any kind of serious trouble, bring it back. They never have.
Likes For kross57:
Old 11-25-20, 10:55 AM
Guyatwork37

Restoring & selling old bikes is definitely a labor of love. There's no way to make any kind of profit from it. I know. Most of the time I just barely break even. I try to make enough to keep it going & buy, sell and, repair the next bike. (Sometimes I just give them away). I'm a retired engineer. I've been blessed with above average mechanical skills & a comfortable amount of income. So, it's a hobby for me. I try to recover the cost of all the parts. But, most of the labor is free. My compensation is the happiness I see in the people that buy my stuff. Be good. Have fun.
I agree, I'm not looking to make tons of money or anything like that, I just like wrenching on bikes and if I can make $20, hey that buys me a new wrench or some freewheel removers. I don't factor labor in at all, just the cost of parts and hopefully a little profit.
Old 11-29-20, 08:50 PM
ramzilla

I'm just sayin...................................................................... you could get the big bucks with just a little elbow grease & some cheap parts. Lower the seat till it's even with the stem. Get some hoods for the brake levers. Dust caps for the crankset. Drop the chain down onto a smaller sprocket. And, try not to attract attention to that cheap ass Tourney RD. It's an attractive size for big riders. Then, you can ask for $300 with a straight face. With a little more work & better tires that would easily sell north of $350.
Old 11-29-20, 09:08 PM
loudbay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts

I think if I hold expectations between $175 ans $200 I should be ok. Denver has a mix of low-end cheap bikes and high-end road bikes. The $150 to $300 range is a strange mix of bikes that seem worth that price and a bikes that have no business being listed there but are for some reason (looking at you busted ass vintage schwinns)

I think this is a good valuation for the Denver area, this time of year. I've been hunting lately and that looks like something I would have messaged about at that $175-$200 valuation.
Likes For loudbay:
Old 12-01-20, 04:08 PM
kross57

I'm not arguing with you, but on average I make about 80% on every bike I sell. Meaning if I spend $200 for a bike and parts, I sell it for $360. That's not a lot of money, but it is more than breaking even. Of course it depends on your local market, and I make no allowance for labor. And it could be that you invest way more in each bike than I do, bringing them to a higher level. Either way it is fun. I have given a few away, and it is nice that folks enjoy the bikes I sell them.