Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

crank pin for Peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

crank pin for Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 07:32 PM
julesray

Bikes: Peugeot, Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
crank pin for Peugeot

My local bike shop is trying but to no avail in locating a 7.5 crank pin for my Peugeot. He also mentioned a 8.0 and a 8.5 Anyone know where I can locate one for puchase? Thanks in advance
Old 07-08-10, 07:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
7.5? As in 7.5mm diameter? Which Peugeot uses that? The Nervar crank on my UO-8 came with a 9mm.

Have you checked with Harris Cyclery, Newton, MA (https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/)?
Old 07-08-10, 08:18 PM
julesray

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jimmuller, Thanks for the head's up on the Harris Cyclery. Looking at their inventory for crank pins, it seems you are correct. I'm gonna bring this to my bike shop guy's attention. He trying to help me get this bike on the road. Again thanks and I'll let you know how it turns out, julesray
Old 07-08-10, 09:10 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

When you do find the right size, make sure the lbs guy knows how to put them in. DO NOT try to tighten them by tightening the nut. That will strip the threads. Hammering works if you support the crank underneath so you aren't hammering onto the bearings. A press is the best way to tighten them. Then you can put the nut on to act as a retainer.
Old 07-08-10, 10:22 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread but the Harris website shows they have French and Swiss BB cups in stock. Yowser!
Old 07-09-10, 09:56 AM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm upgrading a peugeot to cotterless. im me if yo want the pins from the old crank.
Old 07-20-10, 09:07 PM
julesray

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I received the crank pin from Harris cyclery and brought to my lbs. I got the bicycle back last Thursday............It rides Great.....I rode N.Y.C. on Saturday and Sunday.........What a joy to be back on a classic bicycle. Thanks for all the replys....................ride hard...with joy
Old 07-21-10, 05:59 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by julesray
I received the crank pin from Harris cyclery and brought to my lbs. I got the bicycle back last Thursday............It rides Great.....I rode N.Y.C. on Saturday and Sunday.........What a joy to be back on a classic bicycle. Thanks for all the replys....................ride hard...with joy
Good to hear it worked out. Yeah, those old (which once were new) Peugeots rode very well. But I'm curious, you rode N.Y.C. All of NYC? Like every avenue and every street? All five boroughs or just one or two? Of course, if you took two days...

Check the pins again. They have been known to loosen up.
Old 07-26-10, 07:33 PM
julesray

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take the S.I. ferry and ride either the west side or east side. Go over the Williamsburg bridge, ride around a little........back to N.Y.CV. Central Park........back down to the ferry. The bicycle continues to ride smooth as silk............What should I look for? Feel for? ......Thanks for the advice
Old 07-26-10, 10:51 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by julesray
What should I look for? Feel for?
With regards the cotter pins loosening up? Oh, just put a wrench (10mm, I think) on the nut and see if it has loosened. Don't over-tighten it, because the nut isn't meant to tighten it, only to keep it from coming out. After a ride or two it should stop loosening if it is loosening at all. But you don't want to ride with it loose. That will deform the pin and it will never sit right again, which means you'll need to file it flat very carefully(!) and very little or get another. You be able to tell if it has a problem because the crank arm will move on the spindle as the pedal goes over the top. If the bike shop installed it right you shouldn't have a problem, but it is good to check it when it is new.

Enjoy the bike!