Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help me identify my mystery GT

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 03:43 PM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I've got an older GT mtb that I got a while back. It was probably three years ago that I got it, and it was purchased at a pawn shop for 80 bucks. It was filthy as sin, and needed lubrication, but seemed like a good deal. The biggest reason it was only 80$ was probably because the previous owner unceremoniously sanded the paint off of it! Not a problem since its aluminum, but it means I have no idea which model of GT I have.

For a few years I rode it around town, hit some single tracks, forded some rivers, etc, only keeping up with the most basic maintainence. I'm now going over it and fixing it back up, but I'm running into questions about its age and model that I just have no way of answering.

Sooo... Take a look at this pic.. What GT do I have? How could I find out for sure? Other details: It's a hardtail, no suspension, new seat (not the original), SLX drivetrain (middle of the road) and brakes, SLX Parallax hubs, and some sort of rapid fire shifters.

Any suggestions on upgrades/improvements would be appreciated too. I don't want to sink too much into this older bike, but it is nice, and deserves some labor on my part. Besides just replacing worn stuff like cogs with exact replacements, are there any modest upgrades that can be done to improve the feel of the bike, without wasting too much money?

Bigger version of the image.

Thanks for your help!

Peace,
Sam
Old 08-04-04, 04:07 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd lighten it, Get rid of the carrier, kickstand.
Toss the brakes and get some sidepull cantilever. Shimano-$40 pair. The levers MIGHT work, but sometimes you need the right/more pull levers.

Better brakes, 2 pounds off the bike, probably feel way nicer.

Because it's older and Alu, I would'nt go for any mods really. Just brakes and those you can use again on a different bike later.

Kinda looks like rust on your chainrings, if? steel wool them clean and hit 'em with clear coat enamael spraypaint. Chain rust? replace.

>jef.
Old 08-04-04, 04:30 PM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestions, jeff.

I just got a new lock that has its own mount so I can ditch the carrier, but I have a confession to make.. I love the kickstand.. Its a crappy old kickstand off of some old bike, but I just love having something to stand up my bike, I don't like leaning it against cars, and I do a lot of urban riding in places where there aren't many bike racks. Does anyone have a suggestion for a lightweight kickstand for the sickos who can't bear to leave it behind?

The chain in that picture has since been replaced, but the chainrings are a bit dirty. I don't think they have actual rust on them, just stuff that had been 'shed' off of the old chain. I might clean them up real well and hit them with the enamel though, thats an idea I hadn't thought of, might squeeze some more life out of it!

Any ideas yet on what model GT this is/was?

peace,
sam
Old 08-04-04, 04:42 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No idea of the model, a quick search yeilded little info.

Ya well, for performance it's sacrifice. BUT, it depends on whether the bikes worth the effort\ cash.

My steel mtb is say 21 lbs, but no suspension. I also dropped my front derailler, 1 shifter,2 rings (well, one was ground down to be a bash guard). All excessories except the bottle cage and a front light, rear reflector, are gone. Even the paint!

Then I had to replace worn\ design obsolete components. I'm up to $500. Still, nothing on the market under $1000 can compare.

I personally just do not like Alu frames, and would maintain only to get some more time. Not as a big project bike, as its frame material is not sound for extended years of life\use\abuse as Chromo steel is.

Also, if an old rear derailler cable, a replace can help shifting, oil all moving parts of the derailler, moving brake pivots etc.

>jef.

Last edited by jeff williams; 08-04-04 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 11:40 PM
oldschoolGT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - Newbie to the forum.

I'm in a similar situation as phidauex. I acquired an old (mid 90's???) GT mountain bike I'm attempting to restore. There is a minor crack in the fork, that I need to replace, is the common steerer width 1' 1/8"? How do I determine the steerer tube length? Any suggestions for replacement?? Just looking to use this oldie as a commuter.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-05, 06:41 AM
MasterSezFaster
UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the oversize tubing I would say it is a Zaskar. That was the only GT back then that had the os tubes. It used to be my favorite ht even though we used to bend them all the time .

Old 08-16-05, 06:55 AM
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used to sell GT back in the day from memory that bike is a GT Rebound. The Zaskar would have been a front suspension bike. I never saw one stock with STX components with a rigid front fork.
Old 08-16-05, 12:32 PM
wonderflee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT Avalanche?
Old 08-16-05, 08:14 PM
oldschoolGT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunter
The Zaskar would have been a front suspension bike. I never saw one stock with STX components with a rigid front fork.
The GT I'm considering restoring has front suspension, Rock Shox forks (air?) unsure of model.
Old 08-17-05, 07:17 AM
Ymmie
I like beer

Bikes: KHS XC504, Gary Fisher Piranha, GT Backwoods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT Backwoods
Old 08-17-05, 08:34 AM
Ricardo
Hazardous biker

Bikes: 2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd vote for a GT Avalanche or Aggressor. It's got the old triple triangle geometry. The orange color in the saddle suggests orange was one of the original colors. Maybe it was mid blue and orange.

Ricardo