Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

bike clothing? what do you wear?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

bike clothing? what do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 06:58 AM
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorts, T Shirt, socks, SPD shoes.
Old 09-07-05, 07:02 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Suit and tie. I ride a European commuter bike, so that is appropriate attire, just as full biking kit is appropriate on a road bike.

Paul
Old 09-07-05, 07:10 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first time I put on bike shorts was a big EUREKA! moment of my life.
Old 09-07-05, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My usual- bike jersey and lycra shorts. Sometimes, I wear sweat shorts over that, but not often.

Koffee

Old 09-07-05, 09:31 AM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 miles ea w/. Usually biking shorts and sometimes casual shorts over them, SPD pedals, messenger bag. I used to think cotton t-shirts held just fine until I started to use sinthetic fibers -couple years ago- running specific such as coolmax/climacool since I don't quite like the stretch waist band on the biking jerseys. They have a substantial discount at Marshalls or TJ Max.
Old 09-07-05, 10:09 AM
jplee3

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
regarding how my commute is, it's pretty much flat and is via a bikepath most of the way. it passes by the water-duct, so there are times that it dips. towards the end (when i get closer to work) there are a couple of overpasses that start working the legs.
it took me about 35-40mins to get to work today. i was hating the overpasses. i'm sure i'll get used to them
i think i was riding on the wrong side of the street too... what a n00b.
i just wore a mesh-wicking sleeveless t-shirt, another wicking t-shirt over that, a pair of hiking shorts, and the same shoes i'm wearing now. i think i outta look into getting a pair of bike shorts and possibly another saddle (the hiking shorts were OK but i'm kinda damp now). i guess if the bike shorts are well enough padded though, i'll be okay with my current saddle (bontrager crz...i think?)

Last edited by jplee3; 09-07-05 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-07-05, 03:07 PM
John Ridley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
The first time I put on bike shorts was a big EUREKA! moment of my life.
That's funny. Everyone told me it would be for me too. I bought a pair, and I wear them and like them, but only marginally better than just wearing street shorts. I'll probably buy a couple more pair, they're a bit easier to keep clean than cotton shorts, but they're no big whoop to me. I'm thinking about buying some touring shorts from bicycleclothing.com instead, so I can wear them around town.
Old 09-07-05, 03:42 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time I put on bike shorts I thought "damn, this is what it must feel like to wear diapers." Haven't tried biking in them yet. Don't like that bunchy feeling down there, and I'm guessing they'll be much harder to hand-wash twice daily in the shower and air-dry, which is a must here.

Last edited by bkrownd; 09-07-05 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 05:05 PM
clevernamehere

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I usually describe my commuting atire as "just enough cycling-specific clothing to look like I'm biking to work by choice, not because of a DUI charge".

I wear liner cycling shorts under regular cargo type shorts, a t-shirt & cycling jacket (just ordered a jersey though), helmet & spd shoes.

Old 09-07-05, 05:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Anybody wear the Andiamos? I have a pair and occasionally wear them if I am going to be running errands or pulling the kids in the trailer. I wouldn't ride a century in them, but they're a good compromise between bikey and not-dorky.
Old 09-07-05, 07:48 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I wear bibs and a bright color jersey.

I tried jeans and fleece shirts last winter but riding with denim sliding up and down the thigh isn't very conducive to cycling.

With cooler temps on the way (but not too quickly I hope ) I'll be adding arm warmers, knee warmers, leg warmers, vest, etc.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-07-05, 09:53 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John Ridley
That's funny. Everyone told me it would be for me too. I bought a pair, and I wear them and like them, but only marginally better than just wearing street shorts. I'll probably buy a couple more pair, they're a bit easier to keep clean than cotton shorts, but they're no big whoop to me. I'm thinking about buying some touring shorts from bicycleclothing.com instead, so I can wear them around town.
If you can bike 160 miles with a pair of cotton shorts... you have balls of leather.
Old 09-08-05, 12:08 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
When I was forced to wear non cycling clothes recently in Oregon...Just a few miles on a saddle with street clothes..Just felt like stuff wasn't hanging right...Like something might crush something. Didn't like it. Certainly could no way do long rides like that.