Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking noise from pedal system

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Creaking noise from pedal system

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 02:53 AM
grapetonix

Bikes: Stycle Aluminium 26" (Professional Bike! I'm Hot!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A creaking noise comes from between my pedals (most likely the bearings???) when I put much of a torque on the system. This is a cheap aluminium MTB, my main workhorse, and it has done about 5000km in three years. Should I be any worried about this or wait until things literally break? How long of a lifespan can you expect off the pedal system on an inexpensive nonbrand bike in rough numbers?
Old 09-20-05, 07:01 AM
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squeaking from that area could be the pedals, b.b, crank arms, chainring bolts etc. Check tightness of crank arms, pedlas, chainring bolts. If that does not work remove b.b grease threads re install. However pedals on a cheapie are just that if in doubt replace.
Old 09-20-05, 07:26 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Could be dry bearings on the cheapie non sealed pedals. Drip some oil in. And then check everything else for tightness as suggested.
Old 09-20-05, 12:55 PM
trick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had that problem. in my case, it seemed like it was the pedals but was in fact loose cranks. problem is, they were kinda lousy to begin with and are now quite worn, to the point where it is not possible to keep them tight. both they and the bottom bracket are getting replaced soon, as that bike is now my winter ride.

hope yours is in better shape than mine.
Old 09-20-05, 12:58 PM
64deville

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Cannondale R700 Stars and Stripes Edition, Cannondale R900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont Wait!!! It could be a simple matter of tightening the crank bolts. If you let it go to long you could round out the middle of the crank arms and ruin them. Same with the bottom bracket bearing, if it has worked its way loose and you continue to ride it, it could potentially strip the threads in the the frame. Check it out ASAP