Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Full housing vs cable stops on top vs cable stops below.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 10:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts

Curious to hear if anyone has a theory or actually knows why back in the day some bikes were built with cable guides for the rear brake cable, other bikes were build with cable stops atop the top tube and other bikes were built with cable stops under the top tube.

There are many ways to skin a cat and apparently just as many ways to route a brake cable.

Is there a benefit to 3 cable guides on the top tube and one long continuous housing? I would guess compression reduces effectiveness, though I can't say I have noticed it much between bikes.

Looking at it from an economic perspective, the cost of 2 cable stops can't really be more than the cost of 3 cable guides, right?

Cables routed on the top of the tube make sense if the bike is meant to be carried(cross for example).

But other than that, what was the benefit to full length housing and cable guides instead of using cable stops?
Old 01-10-16, 01:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
Small differences in cost are very important to manufacturers, so you can't dismiss them as insignificant.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-10-16, 01:12 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
The older bikes had cable clamps on the top tube. I prefer the guides just like I prefer braze on shifters, bottle cages, etc. Style, convenience and evolution of the bike.
Old 01-10-16, 01:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by noglider
Small differences in cost are very important to manufacturers, so you can't dismiss them as insignificant.
Sure, over the production run over X00,000 bikes, little costs add up.

I phrased it poorly, but I can't seem to find a correlation between high end bikes and one way or cable routing compared to entry level bikes.
I would figure the cost saving approach would have been typically used on entry level frames.

But I've seen entry level with cable guides and cable stops. I've seen beautiful high end frames with cable stops and cable guides.

Wasn't sure if anyone knew the rhyme to the reason and why one way was chosen over another on any given bike.
Old 01-10-16, 01:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
If the cable guides are on the top, your sweat can build and are attracted to the guidees through capillary action. You see lots of vintage bikes that are rusted there. Regular maintenance, of course, eliminates that.

Open cable stops on the bottom of the top tube are places for water intrusion into the cable housing. If you throw the bike over the your sholder to carry it you're grabbing onto the cable. But you have less housing to compress, and a nominally stiffer cable routing.

Then there's the "hidden" cable that you see on french constructeur and higher end Italian vintage bikes, as well as many or most carbon fiber bikes nowadays.

But, meh, not enough to worry about one way or another.

Last edited by gugie; 01-22-16 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-10-16, 02:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I like the cable guides on top, continuous housing because it 1) you can pick the bike up by the top tube and not ever have to think about the cables and paint and 2) minimizes housing openings and rust and 3) adds some compression to the rear brake housing, making less effective relative to the front and making the braking front and rear more uniform.

I never sweated enough for sweat on the top tube to be an issue. (I also ate a low salt diet in my racing days and have tried to keep my salt down since. Means my sweat has never been exceptionally salty. I did it to stay away from sodium depletion issues on hot days but it had other benefits too.)

Ben
Old 01-10-16, 02:05 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Yeah, it's basically a style issue. Cable stops are theoretically stiffer, since there's less housing to compress. Full length housing on top makes it easier to grab your bike and put it over your shoulder, as mentioned already. Early mtn bikes with cable stops often had them on top to avoid that issue.

If using stops, exposed cable will tend to slowly abrade the paint next to it, and they should be covered with lining.
Old 01-10-16, 02:08 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
6 of one...etc.

I do like top tube cable guides, mainly for carrying or storing the bike on certain kinds of racks.
Otherwise, I'm a fan of the 7 o'clock stops front and rear, open in between. I just like the way they look.

I like seeing the cables. Makes me feel...industrial.
Old 01-10-16, 02:15 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
More ways to skin a cat. Cyclocross style;

Internal;

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-10-16 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-10-16, 02:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's true that cable stops allow water into the cables, but it's worth that inconvenience to me. I like cable stops better than full housing, because it works better. I can either remember to shoot oil into the openings or lube the cable or replace the cable periodically. I just like the way they work. I can feel the difference in stiffness. On the other hand, if a frame came with cable guides, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. It's just a weak preference.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-10-16, 03:02 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Some of the racks today have that arm that tightens over the TT. Not good for the top routed cable.
Old 01-10-16, 03:03 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
The miminal amount of cable housing will yield the miminal amount of loss to friction.

Full length cable housing = more friction

Under the top tube cable stops = less friction. BUT a more severe bend to the brake. Also the stop can dig into a shoulder when carrying the bike.

The top tube cable stops removed the problems with the under the top tube cable stops.

BTW, many wish that bottom bracket and chainstay cable guides/stop were still on top rather than under because the under ones are more prone to fouling by road/trail crap.

Cheers
Old 01-10-16, 03:06 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cables along the top tube are more protected from dirt compared to downtube, so MTB and cyclocross tended to do this.
Continuous housing is not nearly as stiff, but does keep the weather out.
Less labor cutting housings and less brazing.
Clamps instead of brazing is less likely to heat affect the tubing.
Also a bit of tradition here, because Rene Herse had been doing braze on stops since the 1930s, but most bulk manufacturers continued to use bolt on stops and housing clamps up thru the 70s.
Allows more flexibility in mass production where the same frame can be set up as several different styles of bikes, such as a 3 speed or 10 speed, road or cyclocross, touring etc. all with a generic frame.
Having it above instead of below the tube facilitates carrying the bike on the shoulder, but roadies like to sit on the top tube, so it is rare on road bikes.
Old 01-10-16, 03:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Interesting responses.

This is one of those things that you don't think of until it suddenly crosses your mind because of dealing with it.
I hadn't realized, but most all the full housing cable guide bikes I have refurbished had rusted guides. Some were better than others, but it seems all have been rusted. The latest project has rust marks along the top tube from the housing, even.
Old 01-10-16, 07:17 PM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lets not forget the inside the top tube routing
Old 01-11-16, 11:20 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Full length brake cable housings run along the top tubes are a traditional feature of racing bicycles that goes back to circa 1910. Full length housing had several practical reasons at the time.

Racing bicycles have always pushed acceptable weight limits and consequently manufacturers have used the thinnest tubing possible. Framebuilders were leery of brazing on any additional fittings that would result in extra heating and possible failure of the tube. This philosophy gained even higher priority in the 1930s, with the introduction of several, even thinner gauge tubesets, such as Reynolds 531 and Accles & Pollock Kromo.

Initially, the housing was taped to the frame and this mandated full length housing , as it could slide back and forth under the tape. Full length housing also made cable replacement easier, at a time when riders had to perform their own repairs.

Eventually, clamps replaced tape but most builders were still reluctant to braze additional fittings onto the tubes, especially in the thinner central regions of butted tubes. It was OK to tack cable tunnels onto a thick BB shell, but clamps remained standard for rear brake cables, shift levers and bottle cages until the 1970s.

Conceivably, things should have changed in the 1950s with the introduction of lower temperature silver solder. However, the reigning framebuilders seemed more interested in maintaining tradition. When cable tunnels started replacing clamps in the late 1970s, they could easily have gone to cable stops but single length housing made it far easier for a team mechanic having to service a dozen bicycles at the end of a long day.

Meanwhile , the entry level bicycle did not have these restrictions. Overheating was not nearly as big a concern when dealing with thicker tubes and the use of stops had a slight economical advantage. The most economical approach was actually to use full length housing held in place by quick mounting spring clips but these moved easily and scratched the finish. Consequently, they were restricted to department store level bicycles.

There are several other minor pros and cons to each system but I believe the rationale for the use of full length housing on racing and high end bicycles originated in preserving the structural integrity of the frame and ease of maintenance.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-11-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 12:31 PM
jrm2010

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know if it's possible to convert 3 x cable guides for full housing to use for 2 x cable stops plus split housing?

I'm thinking of something that would fit into the two outermost existing guides not simply new stops which wrap around the tube.

I'm rebuilding an old koga frame whith with modern groupset for commuting purposes and am now finding I'm wanting to tweak more and more of the fine details!!

Cheers, James
Old 01-22-16, 01:57 PM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Don't know that I've ever seen cable stops on the top of the top tube... (exposed cable) Was there such a thing? Many a time I had to shoulder my bike with 'exposed' cable beneath. Manufacture w/o understandage of usage???
Old 01-22-16, 02:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by juls
Don't know that I've ever seen cable stops on the top of the top tube... (exposed cable) Was there such a thing? Many a time I had to shoulder my bike with 'exposed' cable beneath. Manufacture w/o understandage of usage???
Earlier in this thread, Barrettscv posted a couple picks of an early cyclocross with 2 exposed cables atop the top tube.

Below is one of my wife's bikes- its a 90s rigid frame Scott MTB. You can see the exposed cables on the top of the top tube. Both shift cables and the rear brake cable are located there.
Old 01-22-16, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the open cable between brazed on stops .. the shorter length of housing to the rear brake was a bit less compressible.

front brake still is the most effective, so difference in rear performance was not that important.

I have a Rohloff , its 2 gear cables run thru housing ... all the way, they stay clean in there..

ditto the housing run to the mechanical disc brakes..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-22-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 03:02 PM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Earlier in this thread, Barrettscv posted a couple picks of an early cyclocross with 2 exposed cables atop the top tube.

Below is one of my wife's bikes- its a 90s rigid frame Scott MTB. You can see the exposed cables on the top of the top tube. Both shift cables and the rear brake cable are located there.
Good to know! Have never seen-but I'm an old coot so........
Old 01-22-16, 03:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by jrm2010
Anyone know if it's possible to convert 3 x cable guides for full housing to use for 2 x cable stops plus split housing?

I'm thinking of something that would fit into the two outermost existing guides not simply new stops which wrap around the tube.

I'm rebuilding an old koga frame whith with modern groupset for commuting purposes and am now finding I'm wanting to tweak more and more of the fine details!!

Cheers, James
this a brazing then repaint project? If so that can be done..
Old 01-22-16, 03:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I strongly prefer full length housing on top for several reasons. Makes picking the bike up easy. It is away from the top tube mounted pump. It looks clean. It goes a long ways to toward making the rear brake less effective and therefore a better match to the front. And there are fewer cable housing ends to introduce rust and other issues. (With full length cable housing, the only open cable end is at the brake, pointed down. If you ride with fenders, the greasing you do when you set it up last a long time.) Oh (edit), the cable is far less subject to damage and kinking as well.

Ben
Old 01-29-16, 03:52 AM
jrm2010

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, thanks all

no brazing/repaint so i will stick with things as they are!
Old 01-29-16, 04:13 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
road bkes are to have full housing in a contrast color clamped atop a level top tube leading to non-aero levers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.