Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

riding while drunk ticket

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

riding while drunk ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 10:07 AM
shants
roll'em high

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, it's ****ing hard. we had to pull the legs out from under the ****er. i think the challenge is why it's fun.
Old 01-20-06, 10:09 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shants
oh, it's ****ing hard. we had to pull the legs out from under the ****er. i think the challenge is why it's fun.
haha. actually you sound like you've done it. i've heard a lot of people say you sneak up on them when they're asleep and just push them over. that's what i don't believe.
Old 01-20-06, 10:12 AM
shants
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm not really sure if it's something that i'm proud of, but it definitely fit the bill for a boring ass suburban friday night when i was 14.
Old 01-20-06, 10:13 AM
teiaperigosa
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MLPROJECT
after getting down on christmas trees, the only thing i want to do is lay on the floor and feel like im sinking into oblivion. getting on a bike is out of the question.
you gotta step your tree game up
Old 01-20-06, 10:29 AM
Fantomas
bah

Bikes: WEEEEE!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are to stages to my drunken riding:
1) kinda ****ed up but nobody can tell, get home just fine.
2) soooo ****ed up that I cannot even ride my bike... falling down over and over and over trying to ride my bike and falling down while walking my bike.
Had a #2 three weekends ago. I'm sure it was nothing but pure comedy for the cars going by.
Old 01-20-06, 10:41 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
No reason to get uptight. For the most part. Few condone drunk driving. But, some rebel at overly strict control of one's behavior. Example... Guy trying to walk his bike back home. Can't win. Just out having fun. Hopefully hurting no one else.?
But some overly strict cop would probably bust this person. Disorderly conduct. ? Can't win.
Old 01-20-06, 10:55 AM
Fantomas
bah

Bikes: WEEEEE!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tell me about it.

I'll keep this brief because it still ****s with my head but. I once got a DUI for being drunk and having the keys in my pocket.....Not driving mind you... BECAUSE I HAD THE CAR KEYS IN MY POCKET. And they were in my pocket because I had gone to get something out of the trunk and had not given them back to the DD.

So... two thousand dollars later to a ****ED! lawer that did not DO ****! I had the decision to either go to trial or take a reckless driving charge... even though I WAS NOT DRIVING.
I had no money left and all the court etc had ruined about eight months of my life.

Unfortunately after taking said deal... because I was out of money.. I was sentenced to two years in outpatient treatment and three years probation, $2000 fine. You have to pay for probation here so it came to like $3500 or so.
The treatment facility was next to an abortion clinic... I had to walk through christian protesters and junkies in line for their methadone hit to get to the outpatient sessions each saturday.
The sessions were all with obliteration drunks, crack heads and especially heroine addicts. I went for six months before the facility told my probation officer that there was no reason to be there.

So here are my over all feelings:
You shouldn't drive drunk, but if you do don't get caught.
Ride drunk all you want. Concrete won't cry when you hit it. And if you hit someone... youre a ****ing ****** and deserve what happens to you.
Old 01-20-06, 11:04 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Fantamous..Seems drunk riding might be a less serious offense. But, guess a drunk rider might have less control and poor steering might cause others' problems if not the actual rider. and yes, I find your story totally believable. Cops have a hard job but some are overly zealous and out to 'get ya.'
Old 01-20-06, 11:22 AM
dolface
Iguana Subsystem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i found this "A conviction of violating the California cycling under the influence statute subjects the violator to a base fine of $250.00. This is substantially less than the fines imposed for DUI cases involving "vehicles"." here https://www.1800duilaws.com/article/c..._influence.asp
Old 01-20-06, 12:19 PM
neverwrite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thoughts: don't stop. If you are riding with people, you don't have to be faster than the cop, just faster than the other drunks. If you do stop in SF, go to court and get it reduced.

I kinda like small town virginia attitudes towards drunk bicycle riding better. I used to work in Culpeper, Va. and the only reason most adults rode bikes was because they wanted to go out drinking and had too many DUIs. Drunk transportation was what bikes were for. We also had an old drunk dude who would cruise around town on a riding lawnmower covered in american flags. The guy was always wasted, but no cop could pull over such a patriotic lawnmower.

/Edit: if you are some place with no traffic, long blocks, no alleys, no one way streets, or if the cop is on a motorcycle... maybe stop.
Old 01-20-06, 12:20 PM
mplsminx
domestic goddess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeez, fugazi dave is out to ruin fun again. riding drunk is one of the greatest things ever.
+1
Old 01-20-06, 03:07 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Running the base of your skull into a concrete curb while drunk is a lot of fun, too, I'm sure.
Old 01-20-06, 03:46 PM
turd
...leaving skid marks

Bikes: fuji track se ('02) | independent fabrication crown jewel ('04)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a pic of my friend's BUI (biking under the influence) ticket somewhere.. looking...
Old 01-20-06, 11:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
When we were in college many years ago, and went to many late night parties, we made an effort never to drive our cars because we did not want to drive home drunk. Didn't even think twice about riding home intoxicated on the bike. It was fun, and relatively safe.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-21-06, 12:06 AM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as far as i'm concerned some drugs enhance one's ability to ride on 2 wheels. a little booze for endurance, a little coke to get you going, and a little herb to keep you alert.

livestrong.
Old 01-21-06, 12:06 AM
loaf

Bikes: Iro Mark V Fix and a 24" Nirve bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I it's gotten to the point where I don't think I can be conscious and not able to ride a bike. It kind of scares me. It's always strange when you wake up and you're in your own bed and your bike is in the corner, but you have no idea how it happened.
Old 01-21-06, 12:35 AM
dustinlikewhat
Bow$$

Bikes: Surly Instigator '02, Schwinn Traveler fixed conversion, '02 Fuji Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
moderation and a good friend will keep you out of trouble any day. for me that was tonight.
Old 01-21-06, 02:35 AM
cmcenroe
Reverend

Bikes: 2005 Trek 2100, Iro Angus Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i was in 8th grade i went out with some friends to go cow tipping, but none of us weighed much at all and weren't particularly strong. the ground was also quite slick and mud-covered due to that day's rainfall. i ran at this cow (i was ~5'5" at the time) and stiff-armed the ****er right in the belly, but lost my footing and slid right under the ****ing cow between its front and rear legs. this happened to one other friend as well. we then became very determined and tied a piece of rope around one of the cow's hind legs and gave it a group, "tug-o-war" style, pull - up and out. we definitely got the last laugh that night.
I had a friend who thought it would be hilarious to go cow tipping. He and a few buddies were away from home here in CA and found some cows. Anyway, they waited until nighttime and readied themselves. They charged at the cow in the same way they did. The ground was not muddy, nor did he slide under the cow. In fact, the cow got the last laugh this time. When he hit the cow, instead of tipping over, his hands went straight into the cow and he got covered in cow guts. The cow was apparently dead and had been in a state of rest for some time.

Gross.
Old 01-21-06, 05:39 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had a guy here that got two DUI's riding a horse along a public road. I almost got one after driving into a DUI trap. At roadside, they tested me at .09, which is over the .08 max in Kentucky. I also did poorly walking a straight line. When I got to jail, I was in the room where they had the official machine to measure me. The arresting cop sat there for almost an hour doing paper work before he put me on the official machine. I thought: "What a great guy -- he's trying to help me sober up before he gives me the official test." I learned later from a lawyer friend that your alcohol level in your blood INCREASES for 1.5 hours after the last drink. The cop wasn't trying to help me -- he was trying to get my blood alcohol level up. When he finally tested me, I came in at .07, just under the limit. Even so, they wanted to cite me for wreckless driving or open container in the car. I fought this, because neither was true. The county DA finally dropped the charges. I was lucky that a judge who had been at the party I was at was right behind me when I got pulled over. He called the jail and got me sprung right away. Normally, they would have kept me four hours in a cell. Jails are not good places. They smell like urine.

Last edited by trmcgeehan; 01-21-06 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-21-06, 08:21 AM
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I know there are alot of people here that drink. Fine whatever, but when it costs you money in court, jail, loss of work etc then you need to re think your methods. Also being caught intoxicated by the cops is never a good idea. If there is a risk of this for you, then you should do whatever it takes to avoid that.
Also the definition of a bicycle is: A vehicle with two wheels propelled by pedals. Therfore it is correct to issue a DUI for riding while drunk. Getting a DUI shows wrecklessness, and disregard for the safety of others. I dont care who you are alchohol impairs judgement and motor skills. If you are going to drink be responsible, and if you are going to drink to excess, dont say anything to those who may use other natural plants to achieve their buzz. At least those who puff dont hurt or kill others by being drunk.
Old 01-21-06, 08:50 AM
shankton
not the jam

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy and many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.... riding drunk is one of the greatest things ever.
Most idiotic post ever.
Old 01-21-06, 09:04 AM
auroch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got pulled over for biking drunk/high when I wasn't. The cops said
they pulled me over because my eyes were totally bloodshot. This
of course was me biking in the middle of winter w/o eye protection.
They let me go.

Cow tipping: My last name is pronounced "cow" so yeah when all
of you first learned about cow tipping in 3rd grade was the worst.
I was all bruised for a year straight.

jeff
Old 01-21-06, 11:00 AM
katio
...brick by brick...

Bikes: 04 De Rosa Neo Primato racer-bike & 70's Peugeot UO-8 fixed-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
isn't cow tipping an urban legend?
Urban? Yes. Suburban and rural? No. It's more like a way of life when you're out on a Saturday night and the city's main form of youth entertainment is cruising.
Old 01-21-06, 11:19 AM
Rikardi151
redonkulous

Bikes: 2001 GT GTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Fantomas]You have to pay for probation here so it came to like $3500 or so.

Which would you rather spend your money on?
Old 01-21-06, 12:11 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
additional fuel for the flames...

To all the people that suggest that cycling under the influence is only dangerous to the cyclist, but who aknowledge that driving under the influence is dangerous to all:

Deer (who act erratically) cause damage, injury and death to motorists on a daily basis, the whole while with only small amounts of momentum. For instance, one reacts to the behaviour and strikes a tree, resulting in death. When it's a deer who is responsible, it's a tragedy. When it's a drunk cyclist who is at fault, it's criminal behaviour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.