Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

GT to start selling bikes at Wal-Mart

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 04:46 PM
Ropemantheicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Press-Release
By Mark Hudson

GT Bicycle Company has announced it's intentions on selling their bikes at Wal-Mart. We understand the importance of getting our bikes out to everyone and that this was an offer from Wal-Mart we could not pass up. We will be selling the 2005 Zone and 2005 Bump that will be shipping July 12th, 2005. Please keep posted on this topic at GTbicycles.com
Old 06-23-05, 06:35 PM
CMcMahon

Bikes: Solid AA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So basically, GT is selling the same semi-decent completes that you could already pick up at a bikeshop for a reasonable price in your one-stop shop for cheap crap.

Oh well. It's not like GT's making any completes that are really worth buying, anyway.
Old 06-23-05, 06:48 PM
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT, Schwinn, and Mongoose are owned by the same company, they can do whatever they want. This is all old news anyway it was only a matter of time before the GT name showed up there.
Old 06-24-05, 02:07 PM
Ropemantheicon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump isnt this news?
Old 06-24-05, 03:53 PM
CMcMahon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's news, but it's not newsworthy.
Old 06-24-05, 10:07 PM
BMXTRIX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know man, it's a huge step up from the Next & Mongoose bikes that have been there recently. It would be cool to see something like the Performer there with 39/14 gearing. But, it would just be nice to see someone come out of Wal-Mart with something OTHER then a $100 POS bike. I wish Haro, GT, and some other companies would sell online so there would be more decent entry level choices and they would actually be forced to innovate some more.
Old 06-24-05, 11:00 PM
CMcMahon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can almost guarantee you that you're going to see a dumbed-down version of the completes in Walmart. No one goes to Walmart to spend $300 on a BMX bike when they can go to the bike shop and get the same bike, talk to people who actually know about bikes, and know that the bike was put together by someone that's qualified.

I've seen Walmart bikes with the forks on backwards before... or is it the stem and bars on backwards? Either way, I wouldn't trust a bike from a store that's best known for putting mom 'n' pop stores out of business and building two stores side-by-side to skirt business regulations.
Old 06-25-05, 04:50 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would usually applaud such a move, as the more bikes a company can sell, the lower their overall prices can get. Generally, improved buying power translates to lower prices across the board. But in this case, I'm guessing that the factories that will be producing these ultra low margin bikes are not the same ones that will be producing the rest of GT's lineup. And it's not like Toyota's plan to get buyers of the Scion to get a Camry, then a Lexus. No kid is going to think, "Hey that crappy GT mum and dad bought was pretty cool, I think I'll get another more expensive one when I get this cast off".
Old 06-26-05, 06:09 AM
LaBella
Jerzee Devil

Bikes: standard bmx trls 250

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pacific bikes right?

dont they own a lot of bicycle companies?

build your own was always my theory....

back in my day........

I sound like an old geezer!
Old 06-26-05, 06:22 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerman
Yeah, it's news, but it's not newsworthy.
even your own bias can't discolor the fact that this is big news. both for wal-mart & for GT.
Old 06-26-05, 11:57 AM
FireTeamCharlie
Can't touch this!

Bikes: Hoffman Disrupter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT has been bad ever since Pacific bought it. I love old school GTs and Dynos, but ever sicne 2000 no GT for me. Pacific sucks and should go out of business, oh yeah Pacific how come my mountain bike never shifter?
Old 06-26-05, 05:26 PM
CMcMahon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
even your own bias can't discolor the fact that this is big news. both for wal-mart & for GT.
Do me a favor. Go out to any skatepark and/or BMX track, and tell everyone about the fact that GT is going to be seling bikes at Walmart, and count how many people you talked to, and how many people gave a damn. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of riders could care less about anything involving GT.
Old 06-27-05, 12:49 AM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerman
Do me a favor. Go out to any skatepark and/or BMX track, and tell everyone about the fact that GT is going to be seling bikes at Walmart, and count how many people you talked to, and how many people gave a damn. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of riders could care less about anything involving GT.
Not even your broker would care at this point, but here's some food for thought anyway:

In January 2004, Dorel added a significant new line of consumer products to its businesses with the acquisition of Pacific Cycle, making Dorel one of the largest marketers of recreational and leisure products in North America. Pacific Cycle is a leader in the design, marketing and distribution of high quality branded bicycles and other recreational products, best known for its Schwinn, Mongoose, GT and Roadmaster bicycle brands. Pacific Cycle sells more bicycles than anyone else in the U.S. bicycle industry and its portfolio of powerful brands is one of the strongest in the sporting goods industry.
Old 06-27-05, 02:11 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Pacific Cycle sells more bicycles than anyone else in the U.S. bicycle industry and its portfolio of powerful brands is one of the strongest in the sporting goods industry.
They may sell more and have formally decent brands under it's corporate umbrella, but that doesn't mean that they know jack about quality bikes.
I remember when GT and Mongoose meant something. Now they're just more Wal-mart trash
Old 06-27-05, 02:31 AM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
They may sell more and have formally decent brands under it's corporate umbrella, but that doesn't mean that they know jack about quality bikes.
I remember when GT and Mongoose meant something. Now they're just more Wal-mart trash
Don't look at me to be defending them, I'm just posting some financial facts. Some companies are still run by guys that ride, that just want to build the best bikes they can. Pacific Cycles LLC is not one of those companies - their job is to return maximum profit to their stakeholders.
Old 06-27-05, 02:36 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Don't look at me to be defending them,
I wasn't. I was clarifying the facts.